HD Ready or Full HD?

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new TV to replace my main Panasonic TX-32LZ80L LCD (which will be relocated to the bedroom) I have my sights on a larger set, ideally around 50" and have a shortlist of a couple of Plasma sets from Panasonic, Samsung and LG.

I am not concerned about Smart technologies or 3D availabilty, for me it comes down to it being a good basic monitor only. Sound is dealt with through my Cambridge Audio 640R and surround set-up.

I know that big savings can be made by going for HD ready TV's rather than full-HD models, so I am wondering if this is the way to go? I use a SKY HD box, the odd DVD and alot of downloaded movies using a HD media player. I never play any games on the set but do watch sport and big action films and thrillers. What's the main picture quality difference between a HD ready & Full HD set if you feed it a HD picture from a HD Sky box?

I'm looking at Samsung PS51F4500 or 5500 or D495, LG 50PA650T, Pana TX P50X60B or similar...any more suggestions please? I'm also concerned about reflectivity, (from the Samsungs) as it would be used during the daylight hours too!

Any suggestions, advise or clarification on the HD issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

At that size, and with Sky HD & HD media player, definitely go for a full HD TV. Sky HD's 1080i images will effectively be downscaled to 720p to fit an HD ready screen, resulting in loss of picture quality.

A full HD TV can be had for as little as £399:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hot-deals/lg-50pn650t-plasma-£39999-inc-delivery

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Bigboss, this is exactly what I needed to know as I'm not familiar with the whole upscaling/downscaling thing!!

And yeah, the LG is at the top of my list as Argos have it here in Ireland for €500 up to the end of the month...and it's quite an elegant looking set compaired to some, with good picture quality by all accounts...

Cheers!

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Red Dragon, definitely go for a full HD set. At 50 inches you can't get away with an HD Ready set. My own Pioneer PDP-428XD, 42 inches, is as large as I'd accept an HD Ready set.

bigboss said:
A full HD TV can be had for as little as £399: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hot-deals/lg-50pn650t-plasma-£39999-inc-delivery

Bigboss, £40K (according to your quoted link!) for a 50-inch set as helluva expensive. Is it made with diamonds, or something?? :rofl:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts