Panasonic DMR-BS850 Questions

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I like the fact that this is an all in one system (with 1 remote), except of course that you obviously still need a tv and surround sound system as well

If live tv or recorded tv is being played and the sound is fed into a surround sound amplifier and speakers, would it automatically change according to what was being shown, ie standard tv=stereo and hd tv=5.1 and that this would reflect in what was comming out of the speaker system, ie all speakers 5.1 and two speakers only at the front for stereo? (I am new to surround sound)

I presume standard and hd pictures are shown automatically in full on the tv in say auto mode without anything missing? (Some units give wide, letter box, 16.9, etc)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
If you feed the sound from the DMR-BS850 into a multichannel amplifier then yes, it should automatically switch from stereo to 5.1 surround sound depending on the type of audio transmitted by the broadcaster.

With Blu-ray discs you wil also get full surround sound, although there are different types of surround sound (DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio), so your amp or receiver will need to handle all these. Most of the latest models do.

As for the aspect ratio displayed on your (presumably widescreen) TV, you'll need to set this to automatic and then the TV will show the picture in the correct format. If it's a 16:9 picture, it will fill the screen completely, a 4:3 picture will have black bars down each side and a 21:9 image (usually on films) will have black bars top and bottom.

You can use the picture menu on the TV to expand the 4:3 and 21:9 images to fill the screen, but they can look a bit distorted.

A

Anonymous

Hi to All.......Being a newcomer to your forum, I hope this post related to a DMNRBS850 is in the correct section? Reason for comment is the date shown for the last comment???.................My query.............If you have two separate recordings of the same title; but each is not complete....(by this I mean I failed to catch the start of a transmitted program and by luck "found the rest of it" a few days later...(no EPG on other sat imports)...... Can one combine the two pieces in to one "seamless" record?. I have an LG SD recorder where this is a simple task.Re the BS850 I've tried creating chapters on each recorded section,but as you change from one half to the other, :) you loose the first and thus cannot combine same.....Have I missed the obvious?.........Kind Regards Punjetas

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I have the DMR-BS350 which is the DVD version of your machine, unfortunately what you trying to do is not possible. Its like when you split a title up it warns you that they cannot be joined together again.

Sorry it was not better news.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
The 2 options I can think of & have done with my Panasonic DMREX78 that works is either:

1. Record to 2 seperate dvd's or BDRW ( or an external HDD if allowed ) & transfer it to a PC / Laptop & free software can easily be found on the internet to combine the films / progamme.

Or

2. If you have another DVD / BD player run that to the recorder, having previously created two seperate discs & play them into the recorder to re-record, pausing at the time of disc change, therefore making one complete copy. Timing though is crucial to get it right, so it looks seamless, you need to find the exact time the 1st disc finishes to marry it up with the 2nd.

Regards...

A

Anonymous

Hi laserman...Thank you very much for your quick reply........I had seen the warning re splitting titles,but thought there might be a work around.....compliments to LG and their SD machine where you can re-combine...pity Panasonic over looked this point...However, thanks again........Yours Punjetas

Can you please stand another ??????...Panasonic happily state that any blu ray recordings made on a BS 850 MAY NOT ??? replay on an alternative blu ray player. All their basic HDD to SD DVD's once finalised work as expected. So if you have a blu ray disc with recorded material from a source other than "your" BS 850 how does said unit play same?If the recording drive is a standard unit it must be a header code difference that stops one's own recorded disc playing as previously described on another machine.Do you have any experience of blu ray :) material recorded on your BS 350 working OK elsewhere?

A

Anonymous

Hi ........Fi only........... Thank you for your reply...Would you kindly read my comments in a reply to Laserman, because I think your suggestion of using a PC to combine tiles is a good idea?.........However do you have any suggestions for a PC blu ray read/writer unit...........Hopefuly a BS 850 would read the combined disc?....Currently my compromise is to carefully edit each file part and put them on a consecutive playlist. As there is no fader on the BS 850 the fudge just about works....Kind Regards Punjetas :

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
punjetas said:
Hi laserman...Thank you very much for your quick reply........I had seen the warning re splitting titles,but thought there might be a work around.....compliments to LG and their SD machine where you can re-combine...pity Panasonic over looked this point...However, thanks again........Yours Punjetas

Can you please stand another ??????...Panasonic happily state that any blu ray recordings made on a BS 850 MAY NOT ??? replay on an alternative blu ray player. All their basic HDD to SD DVD's once finalised work as expected. So if you have a blu ray disc with recorded material from a source other than "your" BS 850 how does said unit play same?If the recording drive is a standard unit it must be a header code difference that stops one's own recorded disc playing as previously described on another machine.Do you have any experience of blu ray :) material recorded on your BS 350 working OK elsewhere?

Hi punjetas. As mentioned in my previous post my machine is the DVD only version so no experience of BD discs and recording although my brother does have the 850 and I know he has to convert from a "DR" file before he writes the file to a Bluray disc if it needs to be played on another machine.

Should tell you in the manual somewhere although if thats anything like the 350 manual its a hell of a read.:)

A

Anonymous

Hi Laserman...Thanks again for your comments......point taken(again) re DR conversion, I've used it. Comment re manual is well founded. You need an ice pack on your head when reading some parts............Kind Regards John

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend a LiteOn BluRay RW on the grounds i've had 4 of their DVDRW & never had a problem, they can be found on Amazon for les than £70 now so becoming very affordable.

As to the other problem you have with editing / joining both halves all i will suggest is you Google Video Help, where you should find plenty of answers. Oh if you do use a PC you will need at least 60gb of free space & apparently it tends to work best using windows 7.

Regards .. Paul

A

Anonymous

Hi f1 only.......Paul, I have been out of town; so sorry for late reply. Thank you for your suggestions, I will look into same...Kind Regards John :) :)

A

Anonymous

Hi Paul...again.....A comment for what it is worth re Blu ray RW units...I followed up suggetion regarding Amazon and found a LiteOn unit type IHBS 112-37 Blu Ray BDRW Bulk plus software at approx £70. However there is a hold on the sale of same due to a complaint from a customer. I know elsewhere you can no doubt purchase said unit, but I happen to "like" Amazon....Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think there is an HDMI interface to connect a BS 850 To a PC...I guess you export data via a BD disc fron the BS 850 to the LiteO, edit same and either overwrite you import, or create a new BD Disc???? Kind Regards John :) :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks to ideas generated by Laserman 16 and F1 only, Paul, I took their advice and eventually bought via Amazon, an LG BH10 rewriter.( The Lite On item was still unavailable at the time I needed to process some HD videocam work) I use Nero 9 plus a blu ray add on; the latter is approx £4 if you already have a bona fide Nero 9.....As a matter of interest the add on is NOT a disc or download, but merely activation of a key string that already exists in Nero 9....Took me a while to "twig on" to this ........... BEWARE of the supplied Cyberlink app provided with the LG unit..My experience of same was that the app kept crashing and eventually on an un-install it failed to complete and screwed my PC......PC recovered with a reformat of crashed disc and copy from a backup........Reading Computeractive and the Cyberlink forum on problems with Cyberlink apps only firms up why I use Nero. I raised a technical query with Cyberlink and received a prompt answer which was of no value.................Regards to all.......John :) :) :).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Update XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Rather suspected the following would be a problem......Create a blu ray disc on the BS 850; replays OK on PC using Nero app. Try the reverse..create a disc on PC, format it or not and BS 850 will not play same. BS 850 is modified for All regions for a DVD but Blu ray discs are confined to UK only.Need to try format blu ray disc on BS 850 and then add video via PC....... Has anyone found a workaround please??? Kind Regards John :help:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX Update 26 10 2011 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I eat "humble pie" re my comments on Cyberlink software.......as always if you eventually twig on that your current app is out of date and you correct this all is OK.......I ran into trouble with Nero and their final tech answer was not in keeping with their usual standard........(Question was why a blu ray disc created with their HD software will not replay on a Panasonic BS 850)........I reverted to Cyberlink and currently have no problems. Their app to import HD footage direct to a blu ray disc is very useful.This app plus Power Producer for editing HD content creates a 50G DL blu ray disc that plays without problems on my Panasonic DMR BS 850 recorder..........Kind Regards to all John :) :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts