Panasonic 24fps customers need to know

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I read all the previous posts concerning the ability of Panasonic plasmas (px70/700) to handle (or not) "true" 24fps signal coming from bluray sources (without converting to 50 or 60hz).

The thread is also deeply discussed on AVForum, please check, in particular http://www.another site/forums/showthread.php?t=653527

There's still lot of confusion. Some people are posting scan images of their TV manual too. Another possibility seems to appear: just pz and (not px too) are 24fps proof. Someone says that Panasonic CZ (?) confirm it.

It's incredible that a huge brand as Panasonic leaves its customers in such a situation.

24fps it's considered a very important function for many buyers today

Our last possibility is to ask our trusted expert at What Hi-Fi to be as clear as possible. I also see the 24fps logo near to the px70 review on the 2007 award issue, but reading all the above posts, the subject seems still controversial. No one wants to buy his new plasma (and the 42px70 looks an amzing one, and look at jaddering bluray disc).

Any help ?

matt

A

Anonymous

Read the other posts Claire has already explained this issue and at the show the PX series can run 24fps no problem, i have a 37PX70 and a PS3 and its smooth, its just when Panasonic first issued the specs on the sets they didnt realise this was going to be so important.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jimmyboy34"]
Read the other posts Claire has already explained this issue and at the show the PX series can run 24fps no problem,
i have a 37PX70 and a PS3 and its smooth, its just when Panasonic first issued the specs on the sets they didnt realise this was going to be so important.

[/quote]

I know Clare already explain it (and I also know Clare's knoledge about Tv stuff), but if you read the posts at the link I posted, you'll see many other customers like us who own a Px70 don't think the same.

I think Panasonic could simply clearify the subject right now (at the time they wrote the specs they didn't know but now ...).

Happy to hear about your experience with 37px70.

Any other opinion ?

A

Anonymous

Said to read that other people say to be sure that px70 doesn't support 24fps. Someone says to have talked with Panasonic too.

http://www.another site/forums/showthread.php?t=615952&page=3

These interesting review says that even pz70 (they say it's a great tv, tought) it can't handle true 24fps too.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Panasonic-TH42PZ70B/Picture-Quality.php

Please What HiFi contact Panasonic and tell us the truth :)

matt

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
How many more times do we have to say we tested it and it works? If you will go listening to other sites, no wonder you're confused!

As far as Panasonic's silence on the matter is concerned, we're hardly surprised - increasingly getting any information out of most of the major companies on anything much is like getting blood out of a stone, even once you've gone through all the layers of in-house PR, external PR and corporate PR they surround themselves with.

For example, there's one major company with a European PR operation and a UK PR operation in the same bulding, neither of whom seem to have much awareness what the other is doing, plus an external PR company, an external company arranging loan equipment for review, and a whole load more PR and marketing people all of whom work on different sectors of the same company's business and don't again seem to talk to each other.

Is it any surprise you can't get a definitive answer, short of getting on a plane to Tokyo or Osaka or Seoul or wherever and sitting in the company's lobby until you either a) get thrown out or b) speak to someone who maty or may not know the answer?

Phew! That feels better...

A

Anonymous

Matt, some people on forums and even some reviewers dont always get it right, i was at the show and as mentioned the TH37-PX70 played Blu-Ray beautifully without any judder. I have the PS3 and have the setting to output at 24fps(its on the menu) now if my Panny couldnt accept that my picture would judder at fast action scenes, but it is fantastic. Some reviewers and even magazines get so worked up about specs they forget how the picture looks and how the actual set performs in audition. Take Home Cinema Choice, now i'm not blowing What Hi Fi's trumpet but they get a bit bogged down with Full HD and disapointing resolutions, What HI-Fi tends to forget that and judge by actually viewing the sets. All i can say is i have had my Panny for 3 months i have a Virgin Media V+ box that upscales SD, and SD pictures on a good channel (sky Sports) look amazing(near HD quality) DVDs upscalled on PS3 look amazing and blue ray rocks. Just throw a QED HDMI-P in everything your source and you will be over the moon with this set.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

Well put, there seems to be too many so called Av experts out there that just try to muddy the waters. Its all about having an eye for quality and detail and sound. There are still people in forums who would get you to use teh HDMI cable that came with your digital service or DVD player. Now i have seen 2 sets side by side and i can tell you an inexpensive upgrade to a QED cable will make all the difference.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's the difference between magazines that do all the 'what if?' stuff our guys do and those that increasingly review the spec sheet (if you're lucky) or the press release (if you're unlucky).

A

Anonymous

Thanks Adrew for you explanation. It's very important for us.

One last check, just to be sure I'm not misunderstanding.

Are you talking about px serie too (42px70 etc.), not only about pz. Isn't it?

I'm talking this because I saw that Panasonic recently changed the user manuals inside their Plasma TV, and it looks like they write 24fps support in the pz line, not in the px.

Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

Hi new to this HD game thinking about buying a TH 50 PX 70, I have a Denon 3930 dvd player, which upscales to 1080P what happens when this is displayed on a screen with less than full HD resolution as this Panny is, some say I will not have any picture, due to 50-60 hz being present, others that it will be upscaled twice which will be crap, and that I cannot output a picture fom the Denon better than 720P, do I have to get a full HD screen to benefit from this dvd player, if so budget will only allow samsung 46 LCD, am I better of with this upscaled to 1080P, or with the Panny at 720P HELP.

Chris

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
Have to get the review crew to comment on this

[/quote]

I'm anxiously waiting.

Thanks again for all

m

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Here are the Panasonic sets we've tested that are happy running 24fps, without juddering:

Plasmas:

TH-37PX70; TH-42PX70; TH-42PZ70; TH-42PZ700; TH-50PX70; TH-50PZ700

LCDs:

TX-26LXD70; TX-32LXD700; TX-37LZD70

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="kt3"]
Hi new to this HD game thinking about buying a TH 50 PX 70, I have a Denon 3930 dvd player, which upscales to 1080P what happens when this is displayed on a screen with less than full HD resolution as this Panny is, some say I will not have any picture, due to 50-60 hz being present, others that it will be upscaled twice which will be crap, and that I cannot output a picture fom the Denon better than 720P, do I have to get a full HD screen to benefit from this dvd player, if so budget will only allow samsung 46 LCD, am I better of with this upscaled to 1080P, or with the Panny at 720P HELP.

Chris

[/quote]

Although the Panasonic isn't a native Full HD set, it is designed to handle a 1080p feed and scale it to suit its resolution. It does this superbly, and handles 24fps, too.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]

Here are the Panasonic sets we've tested that are happy running 24fps, without juddering:

Plasmas:

TH-37PX70; TH-42PX70; TH-42PZ70; TH-42PZ700; TH-50PX70; TH-50PZ700

LCDs:

TX-26LXD70; TX-32LXD700; TX-37LZD70

[/quote]

That's great!

I suppose you're saying that thay play the 24fps source at 24fps, not that they are converting it to 50 or 60hz.

Do
you have an idea why panasonic seems to have correct their manual
concerning 24fps support just on the pz line and not px too ? If only
Panasonic could give an "official" communication about this ... I think
it's in the interest of their future buyers ... that's so strange.

Maybe What Hi-Fi can be a promoter of this request ;)

Thanks dear Clare, as always

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, come on Clare, you've only answered the question about a dozen times now - perhaps you could make it a bit clearer?

Sheesh!!!

emotion-18.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They play 24fps. Full stop.

We've repeatedly asked Panasonic to make an official statement (they've confirmed it informally), but the cynic in me says this won't happen because:

a) Their Blu-ray player doesn't support 24fps and

b) They can release newer, pricier screens in early 2008 making a big fuss about 24fps....

But the fact is, the existing sets we've tested are happy with 24fps. End of...

A

Anonymous

Ok.

It looks like (both Clare and Andrew said it ... and their names speak for themselves) both Pz and Px fully play "true" 24fps.

Just a last detail on the subject seems really strange.

I'm
a maniac, I know, but I think that that's the heart of the Internet ...
sharing with other people (and experto too!) opion/advices to help each
other.

PANASONIC UK WEBSITE has a .pdf brochure giving lots more details on thier autumn 2007 televisons.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th-42pz70b/index.htm

(click on "Viera Full Range Brochure" logo on the right column)

Look, in particular, PAG. 28 and 29.

Accordign to their "Applicable scanning format" data, it seems that PZ can do 24p while PX just 60p !

This two data pages in Panasonic CZ website says the same

http://www.panasonic.cz/vyrobek.aspx?id=AAB_3757&pohled=vyrobky_stare

http://www.panasonic.cz/vyrobek.aspx?id=AAB_4018&pohled=vyrobky_stare

Clare ? Do you think it's the same tricky marketing choice or there's something more ?

Andew ?

Thanks.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Day 37

Can't stand this interminable questioning any more. Tonight, while the guards are asleep, am going to break into the armoury, take a gun, go out into the snow-covered forest, and end it all

A man can only take so much

A

Anonymous

[quote user="mgj"]
PANASONIC UK WEBSITE has a .pdf brochure giving lots more details on thier autumn 2007 televisons.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/plasma-tv/th-42pz70b/index.htm

(click on "Viera Full Range Brochure" logo on the right column)

Look, in particular, PAG. 28 and 29.

Accordign to their "Applicable scanning format" data, it seems that PZ can do 24p while PX just 60p !

This two data pages in Panasonic CZ website says the same

http://www.panasonic.cz/vyrobek.aspx?id=AAB_3757&pohled=vyrobky_stare

http://www.panasonic.cz/vyrobek.aspx?id=AAB_4018&pohled=vyrobky_stare

[/quote]

That's true !

I don't know what to think anymore.

I trust Clare as a sister, and What Hi-Fi tester too. But anyone can be faulty sometimes.

Those are official Panasonic data. They don't stay silent anymore. They write Pz do 24p PX no.

What Hi-Fi give us an help, please.

An old time reader

Pia

A

Anonymous

As i said last night and so has Claire at the time Panasonic didnt think or prepare that 24 fps was a big deal, as there player didnt support this. I am just watching Pirates on blu ray on PS3 at 24 fps and its amazing and smooth and running at 24fps. Dont worry too much about manuals and specs

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Be careful. Jimmyboy34 - be prepared to be interrogated about the model suffix, the last four digits on the label on the box, whether you have it on a south-facing wall and what colour undercrackers you were wearing when you bought it. After all, one can't be too careful with these specifications...

emotion-2.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
OK, here's just one way of testing any TV's 24fps compliance.

Connect said TV to a PlayStation 3, and set the latter to output at 24fps. The PS3, being a helpful chap, will demand to test the ability of the display it's being plugged into, and produces a test image. Which can only be seen if the display can handle 24fps. If it can't you'll see nothing but a message telling you your set can't run at 24fps.

Which is why - at our Show - all the PX Panasonics (and the two Pioneer Award winners) were happily showing smooth, judder-free, 24fps Blu-ray content from a PS3, while our budget 32in pick from Samsung - great set, but without native 1080p or 24fps support - was behind glass in our display cabinet.

PS - Can't think why Panasonic would want you to buy a pricier 'Z' set instead of an 'X' model....

A

Anonymous

Claire

Are you exhausted? as Andrew said some of the guys here will expect you to provide them with the Spec sheets in black and white, or personally provide a written statement from Panasonic on the issue, its not going to happen guys- either it works or it doesnt and as a happy owner of both it definately works- so there!!

A

Anonymous

and many appologies CLARE i keep spelling your name incorrectly

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts