Overheating NAD 320BEE in 6 hour party setting, normal?

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
So I had a party and brought out my NAD 320BEE, and cranked it up to about 1/2 capacity for around 5 hours. It got hot and stopped working.

I had a couple questions. One is does the preamp volume of the source affect the heat or load of the amp? I noticed that the preamp, was really relatively loud. Not sure if that matters.

Is this at all expected / normal? I have never really listened to music as loud and long as I did in that setting, no idea if thats normal?

If this behavior is normal and expected I am curious what would be a NAD or Rotel AMP that could handle long party hours and not stress out.

Thanks

Todd

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
It's probably normal enough. Half setting on the amp could be almost full power, the volume control does not always corrolate with power/position. Depending on the load your speakers gave to the amp its quite possible that it just needed a rest (I assume it cut out due thermal protection, rather than just quit entirely).

Not sure what amp you need to be happily able to run at party levels for 6 hours, but I'd imagine one that has a lot of Watts power and a good head sink

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
What can happen is that your source output could potentially overload the amps input, depending on sensitivity and thus create distortion. Whilst obviously not ideal this will not damage the amplifier.

In your case it was probably just too much for too long.

Get a more powerful unit or something semi industrial with a fan if you regularly plan to party for hours.

Worth mentioning that you probably damage your hearing permanently in the long run by doing so but hey a little fun never hurt anyone does it ... :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Did you use the 'soft clipping' button on the back? (You should. It's meant to be used in such instances.)

Did you also crank up the bass control and switch on loudness? (That can force the power demand sky high.)

'Loudness' is only meant for use at very LOW volumes. It's disastrous to use it at loud volumes.

Next time buy (or hire) some professional PA kit and get some ear protection. If your guests want premature deafness then that's their look-out, but you don't have to follow them.

Sustained periods of 85dB noise levels (or above) can be enough to cause permanent ear damage. If you are enduring 6 hours of levels that can shut down a NAD amp (an amp with a reputation for being pretty robust) then you were well over 85dB !

gasolin

The nad C326BEE get's very hot even with a normal load where a marantz PM5005 and up is very cool amps

Don't think a Marantz PM6005/6006 would shut down do being to hot, nad as you have experienced does, so i think it's normal for a nad amp

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
morrillt said:
So I had a party and brought out my NAD 320BEE, and cranked it up to about 1/2 capacity for around 5 hours. It got hot and stopped working.

I had a couple questions. One is does the preamp volume of the source affect the heat or load of the amp? I noticed that the preamp, was really relatively loud. Not sure if that matters.

Is this at all expected / normal? I have never really listened to music as loud and long as I did in that setting, no idea if thats normal?

If this behavior is normal and expected I am curious what would be a NAD or Rotel AMP that could handle long party hours and not stress out.

Thanks

Todd

I would think about a different approach.

Using the pre-outs I would look for a pair of inexpensive 'studio type' actives for such a situation. There are lots to choose from, pick one with an 8 inch bass unit.

Prices are very cheap, they start at under £200 pair and are designed to do what you ask. You are not going to get a particularly refined sound at these prices but it will save your hi-fi from distruction.

I have recommended the somewhat more expensive Yamaha HS8s (£450pr) to a couple of friends, for exactly this purpose and they work really well.

gasolin

davedotco said:
morrillt said:

Thanks

Todd

Using the pre-outs I would look for a pair of inexpensive 'studio type' actives for such a situation. There are lots to choose from, pick one with an 8 inch bass unit.

Prices are very cheap, they start at under £200 pair and are designed to do what you ask. You are not going to get a particularly refined sound at these prices but it will save your hi-fi from distruction.

I have recommended the somewhat more expensive Yamaha HS8s (£450pr) to a couple of friends, for exactly this purpose and they work really well.

Mabye M-Audio BX8 D2, JBL LSR 308 or if it has to be really powerfull something like Behringer B210D or LD Systems Dave 8 XS 2.1 system rated at 117db

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
davedotco said:
morrillt said:

Thanks

Todd

Mabye M-Audio BX8 D2, JBL LSR 308 or if it has to be really powerfull something like Behringer B210D or LD Systems Dave 8 XS 2.1 system rated at 117db

There are loads of options and apart from the ability to play loud and long, they will stop your main hi-fi from destruction.

A mate with some fairly serious hi-fi kit bought HS8s at my suggestion, they play all night at serious levels in a biggish room, they have been used outside too, simple to connect and cheap in relation to the rest of his kit.

I think I would draw the line at the PA setups though, if you are on a budget, Studiospares have these for just £189pr.

248930.jpg

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Yea I actually did crank the bass all the way up. I am going to start with this. I really like how the b&w 602s sound, and feel like I am going to have a hard time getting that quality out of actives, am I wrong?

I am going to try keeping bass at normal, and just getting a sub, and putting a fan on the amp.... see how that goes :)

Also regarding soft clipping on back, never noticed it, googled it to see what it does, couldnt see anything.... curious to read about that feature!

Sensible?

Todd

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
As it happens, I know NAD amps quite well and find the volume control gets really loud with around a quarter of turn, so you were really pushing things.

On the bright side, if the amp hadn't stopped, you'd have blown the speakers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
morrillt said:
Yea I actually did crank the bass all the way up. I am going to start with this. I really like how the b&w 602s sound, and feel like I am going to have a hard time getting that quality out of actives, am I wrong?

I am going to try keeping bass at normal, and just getting a sub, and putting a fan on the amp.... see how that goes :)

Also regarding soft clipping on back, never noticed it, googled it to see what it does, couldnt see anything.... curious to read about that feature!

Sensible?

Todd

Why start now? :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
So from a couple of your posts we've established that you:
morrillt said:
cranked it up to about 1/2 capacity for around 5 hours,It got hot and stopped working....I actually did crank the bass all the way up
Can't believe that you're asking us:
morrillt said:
Is this at all expected / normal?
As it started getting scorching hot did you not think, "Ah this is perhaps not a great idea, I don't really know why it's getting hot enough to roast a turkey but I'm assuming it shouldn't happen". Were you just going to leave it and hope it didn't burst into flames and burn the place down?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
morrillt said:

Sensible?

Todd

Active speakers are available at all price levels, some will outperform you existing setup by a huge margin. That is not the point.

Carry on as you are and you will probably blow your system, fan cooling the Nad will increase the likelyhood of blowing the amp, hi-fi equipment is not built for this kind of use.

Party situations put a huge strain on hi-fi systems, a room full of people chatting and having a good time will demand more and more from your setup, quite frankly, I am amazed that your setup survived.

I am not suggesting using the actives in question as your hi-fi, just for use at parties, your choice as always.

gasolin

morrillt said:

Sensible?

Todd

Try krk rokit powered 8 g3 generally the krk's are bass heavy and with the Yamaha HS8's you don't need a subwoofer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts