Hegel H160 overheats

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
According to sterophile it goes from 0 to 99 so 70 is about 70% of max volume, is 99 max power or like a traditional volume knob where 12 O'clock (mabye 50 on the hegel) is loud, where cd is above rated power (distortion) turntable under max power (no distortion) and max volume all the way (about 5 O'clock,99 on the hegel) is to make shure the voulme could be raised more if music around 12 O'clock is very low (not close to max power).

Based on limited information nobody can say at what point on the volume dial the amplifier will reach its limits as there are many variables which need to be taken into considersation. The amount of dynamic compression in the music being listened to, the output volume (voltage) of the source as well as the efficiency and resistance of the speakers being used will all have a big effect on the point on the volume dial where the amplifiers start to clip.

I bet that with difficult to drive speakers and a low frequency sign wave played from a very loud high voltage source I could push the Hegel amplifier into thermal overload with the volume dial turned to just 10 or 20% maximum.

Romulus

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I used to have Naim system, seperates (Nac92 & Nap180) and my components never overheated but then I did not play music at a consistently high volumes (what I call high volume is when the neighbours hear the music and would naturally complain). Out of interest would playing music at consistantly high volumes overheat all amps or is this the particular condition of the Hegel H160 amp ? I am aware there are other types of amps which (valve amps?) get hot while in normal use, but I cannot imagine my old Naim equipment ever getting hot.

Romulus said:
I used to have Naim system, seperates (Nac92 & Nap180) and my components never overheated but then I did not play music at a consistently high volumes (what I call high volume is when the neighbours hear the music and would naturally complain). Out of interest would playing music at consistantly high volumes overheat all amps or is this the particular condition of the Hegel H160 amp ? I am aware there are other types of amps which (valve amps?) get hot while in normal use, but I cannot imagine my old Naim equipment ever getting hot.

Most amps, particularly type A, will get warm to hot at some point. A lot of it comes down to the heat-sink designs employed.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
Tested my H160 again this morning. Set it at volume 80, played some music, and left the room. Came back after 30 minutes and no issues at all.

I realise 30 minutes may not be the greatest test (i had to leave for work) but the results do not mirror the OP's experience of the H160.

stevee1966 said:
Tested my H160 again this morning. Set it at volume 80, played some music, and left the room. Came back after 30 minutes and no issues at all.

I realise 30 minutes may not be the greatest test (i had to leave for work) but the results do not mirror the OP's experience of the H160.

I cannot recall any of the Hegels that I have heard ever getting overly warm let alone hot which is why I suggested the OP's is faulty.

SteveR750

Al ears said:
stevee1966 said:
Tested my H160 again this morning. Set it at volume 80, played some music, and left the room. Came back after 30 minutes and no issues at all.

I cannot recall any of the Hegels that I have heard ever getting overly warm let alone hot which is why I suggested the OP's is faulty.
Did you say it was faulty?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
chebby said:
Most amps have reached full power by 12 O'clock on the volume control.

I don't know what "70%" means. Is that 70% of the full travel of the volume control?

If so, I guess you are running it into clipping - as well as thermal overload - and it is trying to protect itself and your ears!

It's worth bearing in mind that your R500s dip to 3.2 ohms despite a 'headline' impedance of 8 Ohms. This could be problematic if the dip is in the lower regions (like it is with the R700s between 100 - 150 Hz)

No they do not at all deliver max power by 12 O'clock (not even with a turntable an amp does not deliver max power at 12 O'clock) with a cdplayer it might already be at 9-10 O'clock https://youtu.be/JhuWuTDZiuI?t=20m38s

My turntable doesn't deliver full power at 12 o'clock but my cd player might deliver max at 10 O'clock

(i actually don't play so loud that i know when i reach my amps limited, i just know with my turntable it doesn't deliver max power at 12 O'clock, it's above 12 O'clock)
People may over look the importance of this video, but its relevance should not be underestimated. If the input of the amp is over loaded, not only will you loose optimum sound quality, you also almost totally loose the ability to distinguish sound quality between different sources. I have personally tried this out with the Audiolab M-dac & the Musical Fidelity V90 dac.

The two dacs are indistinguishable when the Input tirm on the Arcam 450 is set to 2V RMS, but immediately I change the input to 4V RMS you can easily hear what each dac is doing as regards sound Quality. Currently got my Input trim at 4V RMS at all times.

Now I can use a lot more of the volume without sudden big increment of the sound. NICE!

SteveR750 said:
Al ears said:
stevee1966 said:

Did you say it was faulty?

I certainly did. Don't you think so? The problem isn't going to be sorted on any forum and the OP seems reluctant to return it to dealer from what I can see.

I also find it very strange that, whilst we scrabble about for suggestions the OP has never returned to this thread after the initial post, his first. Do I sense a smear-campaign or am I just a tad too suspicious?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts