Ortfon Quintet Bronze and Preamp

HarropMV

Mar 1, 2023
Visit site
Ortfon recommends > 20ohms for the load impedance on its quintet series. My phono Preamp only has impedance input settings for 10 and then 100. Really not sure which route to go? Also the gain setting is up to the highest it can go, is that effecting my sound? Ive played around with it, but not sure what to be listening for? thanks for the help.

Ortfon recommends > 20ohms for the load impedance on its quintet series. My phono Preamp only has impedance input settings for 10 and then 100. Really not sure which route to go? Also the gain setting is up to the highest it can go, is that effecting my sound? Ive played around with it, but not sure what to be listening for? thanks for the help.
i would use 100 ohm in your case but try both and see if you can hear any difference.
which phono preamp are you using?

The higher setting is the starting point, because that’s what Ortofon specify. However, no harm whatever will come from trying the alternative setting, and you might prefer the sound.

Matching MC cartridges is as much art as science, and each user has to find their own way. Ortofon are still quite keen on using transformers, whereas other swear by amplified stages.

The gain will be set high because the output is low. That’s the purpose of it. Don’t assume however, that you’ll get the same volume as from say CD, because even a high gain phono stage may only output 0.5 to 1 volt, whereas CD players and streamers mostly exceed the original 2 volt spec these days. If you prefer the second-highest gain setting on your phono stage, and simply turn up your Michi more, that’s fine too.

Reactions: WayneKerr

daytona600

Try a phono stage with loading options as standard
Correct loading on a Cartridge can have a huge impact on sound quality

Pro-Ject Settings for Ortofon Quintet Bronze (Low-Output MC).
* Input capacitance is irrelevant for low-output MC cartridges
gain 60dB, impedance 7-10ohms.
The switch F/ V must be set to V.

33p _pro_PhonoBoxRS2_schwarz.png

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Novice here with the same question. I am switching to an ortofon quintet bronze, my phono stage has a bunch of impedance setting choices:
3700 ohms
3700 ohms +2.2uF
1000 ohms
1000 ohms +2.2uF
470 ohms
470 ohms + 2.2uF
320 ohms
320 ohms +2.2uF
150 ohms
150 ohms + 2.2 uF
100 ohms
100 ohms + 2.2 uF

These are all above 20 (Unless there is a conversion factor I am not understanding). Which is the best setting? If trial and error, should I start at 3700 or 100?

Thanks in advance

daytona600

Ortofon Recommended load impedance > 20 Ohm
Internal impedance, DC resistance 5 Ohm
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 0.3 mV
20-60Ohm input to a SUT step up transformer & feed directly into iyour phono stage 47k moving magnet input

example, 0.5mV, when used with a step-up transformer with a 1:10 turns ratio, would produce 5mV at the transformer's output. Yes, it would if the cartridge's source impedance (also known as its internal impedance or its coil impedance) was zero. In practice, with low impedance cartridges of about 10 ohms or less and low ratio transformers (less than about 1:20), the transformer's output voltage is very close to the cartridge's output voltage multiplied by the turns ratio and can be safely used as a good first order approximation for guidance. However, the cartridge's source impedance may be low but it is never zero, and the transformed secondary load needs to be considered for a more accurate analysis. Consider as an example a transformer with a 1:10 ratio and a cartridge with a 10 ohm coil. If the load on the transformer secondary is an MM phonostage with a 47k impedance, that load appears to the cartridge as 470 ohms (47,000 divided by 10 squared) and must be driven by the 10 ohm coil.

Last edited:

martois

Dec 24, 2023
Visit site
Ortofon Recommended load impedance > 20 Ohm
Internal impedance, DC resistance 5 Ohm
Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. 0.3 mV
20-60Ohm input to a SUT step up transformer & feed directly into iyour phono stage 47k moving magnet input

example, 0.5mV, when used with a step-up transformer with a 1:10 turns ratio, would produce 5mV at the transformer's output. Yes, it would if the cartridge's source impedance (also known as its internal impedance or its coil impedance) was zero. In practice, with low impedance cartridges of about 10 ohms or less and low ratio transformers (less than about 1:20), the transformer's output voltage is very close to the cartridge's output voltage multiplied by the turns ratio and can be safely used as a good first order approximation for guidance. However, the cartridge's source impedance may be low but it is never zero, and the transformed secondary load needs to be considered for a more accurate analysis. Consider as an example a transformer with a 1:10 ratio and a cartridge with a 10 ohm coil. If the load on the transformer secondary is an MM phonostage with a 47k impedance, that load appears to the cartridge as 470 ohms (47,000 divided by 10 squared) and must be driven by the 10 ohm coil.
Thank you--Helpful explanation! I got it all set up and I am loving it. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts