OPEN PLAN LIVING

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi...I have just moved into a modern, open-plan property. Very large rooms, high ceilings, lots of glass, laminate floors. Hi-fi lovers nightmare! I have a 10-year old system, Arcam Alpha9 cd player, Acrcam Alpha10 integrated amp, Arcam Alpha10 power amp. I am using chord chorus2 interconnects. I have Mission 735's bi-wired with Audioquest Indigo cable, which are mounted on sorbethane pods.. I originally bought the system minus the power amp and it was always a touch bright. The addition of the power amp gave the sound much more warmth in my old, traditional style home but the brightness has obviously returned in my new home.

Apart from all the usual methods of optimum use of rugs, soft furnishings etc, how can I make the sound less bright. I generally listen to rock/pop of all era's, and this set up is very unforgiving of the less well-recorded stuff, but sounds great, if a little brighter than I would like with higher quality recordings. I am thinking of changing speaker cables, but is that going to help significantly?

I have just trialled a pair of Proac D25 Response, which were a disappointment. They made the sound much woolier and less detailed despite their high price range compared to my Missions and I definitely wouldn't swap!.

If my system can't be improved significantly in my type of home, what system would you recommend were I to replace it. My budget would be about £4000

Many thanks, PETER

A

Anonymous

toilet paper?

There's a thread on here where someone mentions using some over the tweeters to stop some of the brightness/hardness of his rs8's (i think they are).

A

Anonymous

fast eddie:toilet paper? There's a thread on here where someone mentions using some over the tweeters to stop some of the brightness/hardness of his rs8's (i think they are).

Yes that was me, has taken the edge off the brightness I had been suffering from. Try it yourself might just do the trick. Also experiment with different types ie thicker/ thinner, could also try doubling up. Fully argee with trying copper speaker cable if yours is not.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
PETERFM:
Hi...I have just moved into a modern, open-plan property. Very large rooms, high ceilings, lots of glass, laminate floors. Hi-fi lovers nightmare! I have a 10-year old system, Arcam Alpha9 cd player, Acrcam Alpha10 integrated amp, Arcam Alpha10 power amp. I am using chord chorus2 interconnects. I have Mission 735's bi-wired with Audioquest Indigo cable, which are mounted on sorbethane pods.. I originally bought the system minus the power amp and it was always a touch bright. The addition of the power amp gave the sound much more warmth in my old, traditional style home but the brightness has obviously returned in my new home.

Apart from all the usual methods of optimum use of rugs, soft furnishings etc, how can I make the sound less bright. I generally listen to rock/pop of all era's, and this set up is very unforgiving of the less well-recorded stuff, but sounds great, if a little brighter than I would like with higher quality recordings. I am thinking of changing speaker cables, but is that going to help significantly?

I have just trialled a pair of Proac D25 Response, which were a disappointment. They made the sound much woolier and less detailed despite their high price range compared to my Missions and I definitely wouldn't swap!.

If my system can't be improved significantly in my type of home, what system would you recommend were I to replace it. My budget would be about £4000

Many thanks, PETER

Hello Peter, welcome.

Befor you go spending 4k (unless you want to) try a single run of speaker cable. If that dosnt do the trick try reversing the polarity. This may help and may even improve treble.

Let us know how you get on.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
PETERFM:
Hi...I have just moved into a modern, open-plan property. Very large rooms, high ceilings, lots of glass, laminate floors. Hi-fi lovers nightmare! I have a 10-year old system, Arcam Alpha9 cd player, Acrcam Alpha10 integrated amp, Arcam Alpha10 power amp. I am using chord chorus2 interconnects. I have Mission 735's bi-wired with Audioquest Indigo cable, which are mounted on sorbethane pods.. I originally bought the system minus the power amp and it was always a touch bright. The addition of the power amp gave the sound much more warmth in my old, traditional style home but the brightness has obviouslyÿreturned in my new home.

Apart from all the usual methods of optimum use of rugs, soft furnishings etc, how can I make the sound less bright. I generally listen to rock/pop of all era's, and this set up is very unforgiving of the less well-recorded stuff, but sounds great, if a little brighter than I would like withÿhigher quality recordings. I am thinking of changing speaker cables, but is that going to help significantly?

Many thanks, PETER

I doubt it's the Arcams as they aren't renowned for being bright. You need to avoid anything with a metal tweeter.

Are you biwiring or biamping?

ÿ

TRENDING THREADS