f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Oops just spent £4000 on new A/V system Pioneer SCLX78 A/V Amp, B&W 683 S2, B&W 685 S2, HTM61 S2 & Onkyo SKH-410 Speakers, hope it all marries together well with my B&W ASW 610 sub ... fingers crossed :)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Complete impulse, just felt like a change.. I pick up the speakers on Saturday & the amp & Atmos speakers the following Saturday. It gives me a chance to run them in for the week on my Yamaha amp.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
@ simonlewis

Nope im experimenting with the little £129 Onkyo speakers to be honest, i know they may not be a good match with the B&W speakers im getting so i'll return them if they are no good.

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I would be very interested to know on how you get on with the speakers because i live in a rented flat and i can't put speakers in the cieling obviously, but would like to have dolby atmos i may have to settle on a 5.1.2 system.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
f1only said:
I am also interested to know if a 5.1.4 system is possible with Atmos.

Yes it is. Bigboss has said that 5.1.4 is better than 7.1.2. The only problem with the Pioneer reciever that you have bought is that it cannot do the Full Atmos domestic setup of 7.1.4. If you had bought the Marantz SR7009, then you could have had 7.1.4 with the addition of a (possibly quite cheap or second-hand) stereo amplifier.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Update..

Picked Up the new amp on Thursday, wired it all up with the B&W speakers that i have been running in all week on the old Yamaha amp & what a difference it made, a definate improvement on sound quality all round without a doubt.

It was just a shame the Pioneer LX78 only lasted about three quaters of an hour after setting it up before it failed & gave up outputting any sound what so ever :-( I did a factory reset & it would not do another MCACC setup but still out-putted a picture. At the time i did not have the Atmos speakers.

Friday i got a call from Sevenoaks telling me the Atmos speakers had arrived & i told them of the problem with the Amp they got in touch with Pioneer & i have had to return it yesterday so i now have another one on order, hopefully i pick it up during the week.

Meanwhile today I am off out to get some matching speaker wire with the rest of my system & get the Atmos speakers pre-installed so all i have to do is hook it all up when the amp arrives.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers for that Son_of_SJ,

I spoke to the chaps at Sevenoaks about it a little yesterday & they advised me not to go for 5.1.4 or 5.2.4 either. Sevenoaks said because of my room size, they would most probably conflict with each other due to bad sound reflections.

The only other thing i would add would be another sub if i had the room for it, but unfortunately i dont.

Thanks for the info SOSJ

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well i've now had the Pioneer SC-LX78 installed & working for a day now & yes you can have 5.2.4 on it & 5.1.2 0r 5.2.2 without the aid of an extra amp.

I am running as a 5.1.2 system & it does make a bit of a difference to the soundfield giving it more 3D feel. I do think the Onkyo speakers are too small & could easily be improved upon due to there lack of audio range. It may well be worth investing in somthing a bit better at a later date from B&W for my system, but i will wait for now to see what materialises.

D

Deleted member 2457

f1only said:
Well i've now had the Pioneer SC-LX78 installed & working for a day now & yes you can have 5.2.4 on it & 5.1.2 0r 5.2.2 without the aid of an extra amp.

I am running as a 5.1.2 system & it does make a bit of a difference to the soundfield giving it more 3D feel. I do think the Onkyo speakers are too small & could easily be improved upon due to there lack of audio range. It may well be worth investing in somthing a bit better at a later date from B&W for my system, but i will wait for now to see what materialises.
Nice pieces of kit you have there. *good*

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
f1only said:

Interesting to hear of your experiences with Dolby Atmos, f1only. You and bigboss are the only two forum members whom I know to have it. Pity that the Onkyo speakers are too small, with their lack of audio range - I had been hoping the the upfiring method would be an easy way into Dolby Atmos for most people. I forget which firm also does upfiring modules, but those cost about £600 a pair, unlike the £130 / pair Onkyos.

D

Deleted member 2457

f1only said:
Thx gel, hows the OLED TV? I was tempted, but got a fantastic deal on the Panasonic 4K TV, I could not resist, just £990
The OLED is great. I have seen your TV too and really liked it. £990 is a great deal!

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Cheers series1boy .. I looked in to the Pioneer speakers & they have upfiring speakers built in to either the bookshelf or floorstanding speakers so have the same sort of footprint as a 5.1 system, so lack the flexibility of seperate speakers in my opinion, as i can place mine in different positions to get a better effect it may be an advanage.

As to the Definitive Tech speakers I know nothing about them so would like a demo first.

thx for the info regards .. Paul

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Kef do the R50 Atmos speakers, they are around £600 for a pair of them. Again it is a case of whether they would be a good match with my B&W speakers, I would think they would be much better than the onkyo's i currently have & i could afford them. I have yet to try the ones i have with an Atmos enabled film.

So far i have watched Quantum Of Solice with them & wow it makes a difference but not as much as i had hoped for, they certainly need a bit more bass for my taste. The Onkyo speakers I have are a good interim product for me until something better comes along to do the job at a reasonable price around the £300- £500 mark, so keeping my fingers crossed for some B&W Atmos speakers :)

Just to add i am impressed with the upscaling of the SC-LX78, I watched the ITV4 standard definition of the MOTO GP tonight & upscaled it to 1080p on the amp & it looked very good, better than the TV does it for certain.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts