Hegel H80 used - Thoughts on this amp?

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I have recently picked up an audiolab 6000a and b and w 606's for my office which are working out well.

Unfortunately, whilst doing this I seem to have picked up a nasty case of upgrade-itis.

In my main living room I have a CA640A and B and W 685 S2's. The room is large... About 60m2.

I'd like to upgrade this system over time, and first to go is the amp (as advised on this forum :) ). I have the choice on my budget to buy something similar to the audiolab new or go second hand.

I've seen a reasonably priced Hegel h80 at 700 euros. In the short term it'd power the 685's but they'd be on the upgrade path shortly after. Maybe for Ls 50's or similar.

What are your thoughts on the Hegel H80? Anyone heard 'em and willing to shed some light on how good they are?

The Hegel amplifiers are highly rated. Whether that is a good price for a six year old amplifier I do not know, I would guess it is, however I would also suggest that for a room that size I would be looking at more efficient floorstander speakers because the KEFs will not fill it.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
The Hegel amplifiers are highly rated. Whether that is a good price for a six year old amplifier I do not know, I would guess it is, however I would also suggest that for a room that size I would be looking at more efficient floorstander speakers because the KEFs will not fill it.

Yeah, I strongly suspect that I will go for some floorstanders there.

My hope is that the Hegel is a great amp in it's own right. I would have a doubt over the in built DAC given the acceleration in technology there.

In terms of class, I am guessing it is a helluva lot more amp than what I would get for that price new e.g. CXA61, Audiolab, Rega Brio. What do you reckon?

Yeah, I strongly suspect that I will go for some floorstanders there.

My hope is that the Hegel is a great amp in it's own right. I would have a doubt over the in built DAC given the acceleration in technology there.

In terms of class, I am guessing it is a helluva lot more amp than what I would get for that price new e.g. CXA61, Audiolab, Rega Brio. What do you reckon?
As an amplifier yes it would be but as you say the quality of inbuilt dac will always be a limiting factor. If you can afford a better stand alone dac to go with it then it makes sense, otherwise not.

I have recently picked up an audiolab 6000a and b and w 606's for my office which are working out well.

Unfortunately, whilst doing this I seem to have picked up a nasty case of upgrade-itis.

In my main living room I have a CA640A and B and W 685 S2's. The room is large... About 60m2.

I'd like to upgrade this system over time, and first to go is the amp (as advised on this forum :) ). I have the choice on my budget to buy something similar to the audiolab new or go second hand.

I've seen a reasonably priced Hegel h80 at 700 euros. In the short term it'd power the 685's but they'd be on the upgrade path shortly after. Maybe for Ls 50's or similar.

What are your thoughts on the Hegel H80? Anyone heard 'em and willing to shed some light on how good they are?
If you're happy with the Audiolabs, why even think about another amp? We all think the grass is greener... but in truth it often isn't. Or if it is, it comes at a hefty cost; new amp then the urge to buy better speakers, source etc etc.

Unless you generally think there's a shortfall in sound, I would stick.

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
If you're happy with the Audiolabs, why even think about another amp? We all think the grass is greener... but in truth it often isn't. Or if it is, it comes at a hefty cost; new amp then the urge to buy better speakers, source etc etc.

Love the audiolab in my office but it's a much smaller room. Was looking to upgrade my main room rig which is large and could do with a bit more grunt.

Gonna try the audiolab in there to see how it fares but I think I need something meatier

Love the audiolab in my office but it's a much smaller room. Was looking to upgrade my main room rig which is large and could do with a bit more grunt.

Gonna try the audiolab in there to see how it fares but I think I need something meatier
Indeed try the Audiolab in the large room. It if it sounds right then buy something like actives or a all-in-one for the office.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site

Hi PP, nice to see you are still here. DM

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts