Onkyo tx-sr607 and Canton 80 cx - good combination?

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Onkyo 607 with the Canton speakers? Audio T are doing them together for £560 at the moment. I can't find many reviews of the Cantons - is this a bad sign!

I'm looking to upgrade from Sony DAV-is10 which I think is lacking in mid-range and sounds a little tinny. I demo'd the above combi and it sounded much better to me, but I don't have anything else to compare it to! I believe some people say that Onkyo amps are too bright for smaller speakers.

I have a budget of up to £700 for the amp and speakers. Due to space constraints I'm limited to smaller style speakers. Would KEF 1005s or Jamo 102s be better than the Cantons?

Any views would be much appreciated!!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

What did you go for in the end? I'm considering the Jamo 102s but the Cantons aren't much more. There still doesn't seem to be much in the way of reviews about the Cantons about.

JC1982

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cerebros, I'd almost forgotten about that post until I went on the website and saw it in the 'hottest forum topics'!. In the end I decided to hold out until I have more space for a bigger system, rather than getting something now and then upgrading. The canton system sounded good but I never heard the Jamos so can't compare I'm afraid.

The Boston Acoustics system seems to be the best small system around right now if you can stretch another £100.

Sorry I can't be any more help.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I can't comment on how the 607 would work with the Canton package, but I have heard the 607 in action with B&W CM speakers.

I thought it was a good receiver, but a touch too bright and boomy for my tastes (the bass in particular was too prominent and at times overwhelming).

I think you can get a bit more for your money, though the 607 does have the advantage of being "3D Ready", if that's important to you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts