I need a better stereo sound from my Onkyo TX-NR609

steerr

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I have recently changed my KEF KHT2005.3 front left and right speakers to Q-Acoustics 2050i floor standers with the aim of improving the stereo sound when listening to music. The sound has improved a little but not as much as I had hoped. I know that these speakers need a fair bit of running-in before they start to sound their best, even when they're run in I'm not convinced that the sound is going to be altogether that much better - they seem pretty lifeless, lacking in crispness, not much top end but lots of low end. However with movies both Blu-ray and DVD they sound superb, they intergrate well with the rest of the speakers and there is a real audiable step up in quality over the KEF's, - but in stereo the same performance difference is just not there. I'm going to replace the KEF centre speaker with the Q-Acoustic 2000Ci to give a better tonal balance to the front three, but my real question is... How do I improve the stereo sound quality. How much do I need to spend to get a marked improvement in this area? For example, would the Onkyo TX-NR818 be that much better, would I need to be looking at even higher spec'd models? If that is the case then would my current speaker set be the limiting factor?

Thoughts?

steerr

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Direct from the line-out into the USB connection at the front - this should bypass the DAC in the iPod and allow the Burr Brown DAC in the Onkyo to perform conversion duties.

Jon Spencer

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I had a similar problem and bought a Beresford speaker switch and a decent second hand stereo amp.

Read this article to see why your excellent cinema amp doesn't quite cut it as a stereo amp.

http://www.hifihunter.com/articles/improving-stereo-performance-surround-sound-setup-part-1/

http://www.hifihunter.com/articles/improving-stereo-performance-surround-sound-setup-part-2/

TRENDING THREADS