Onkyo LS-V501 - help purchasing a 2.1 system.

chrisku

Jan 5, 2008
Visit site
I am looking to purchase a 2.1 home cinema system to accompany my TH42PX70 panasonic plasma.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the Onkyo LS-V501,how does it sound ?, hows its performance ?

How does the onkyo system compare to the likes of the kef 120 kit or the denon s302 kit ?

Which 2.1 system would you recommend getting ?

A

Anonymous

I've got the Onkyo. It's a good 2.1 solution. It sounds great with music and OK with movies. It's nowhere near to 5.1 sound but it does it's job perfectly. DVD plyback is OK (had the pioneer dv 600 earlier and this is similar). The only thing is it requires a hell of a lot of calibration and settings tweaking both in the sound and vision department- the sub doesnt play in the same team as the satelites (new sub cable needed).

It betters denons 301 and 302 because of connectivity- it has HDMI swithing, various audio ins/out.

Pros: Great looker (in black), good picture, connectivity, sound (after tuning)

Cons: Treat with care, disc loading and opening (how hard can that be...???) time. Ugly on screen menus.

Bought it for 900 Euro and got a optical digital cable for free (the cable turned out to be absolute crapp!!!) plus a scart cable (dont use it)...

A

Anonymous

Dio, if you read this could you answer a couple of questions on the LS-V501? I am considering a purchase but I was wondering whether the lip sync/audio delay function is available on external audio inputs or only on the internal DVD player? I need it to be able to resync sound input from my TV.

Also, do you think it would work with my current hifi speakers? They are small boxes but pretty musical and theoretically you can get the onkyo for about £400 without the speakers and that is realistically the upper limit of my budget.

Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Answer to both questions: yes.
Lip sync works with external audio, you adjust it in the advanced setup menu (easy btw...)
It will work with your speakers- no problem, I myself am thinking of upgrading the oknyo speakers to Audio Pro Avanti...

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dio, I appreciate the speedy response! Very useful, too. Still haven't seen it offered without the speaker package anywhere yet, though.

A

Anonymous

I think some info was wrong in the press release, cause I wanted it without the speakers too, but nobody had an idea what I was talkin bout...

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have been looking at this system too - and like you, don't want the speakers. After a few emails and calls, I got HiFiBitz to confirm that they would sell me the reciever by itself (It is an Onkyo DR-S501 DVD Receiver). It's not on their web site yet, and they won't keep stock but can order it in.

Hope that helps...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have just been playing with this system after it's been reviewed for a future issue of Gramophone, and would concur with the view that while it's reasonable enough value at £600 all-in, the £400 DR-S501 is capable of sounding even better with some improved speakers.

I tried it with the new PMC DB1is and a little MJ Acoustics sub, which is probably overkill, but it did sound rather good. Nothing wrong with the standard HTP-501 speakers, but you can do better...

A

Anonymous

so this is probably the right time to ask the question:
which speakers would You recomend if by now You know the system?

I've been blown away with Audio Pro Avanti (model 90) when I heard them at a local Audio show, but i'm begining to think it's plain stupid to buy speakers that cost twice as much as the whole system...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I'd be thinking Cambridge Audio S30s, Mordaunt-Short Avant 902is, Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs - that sort of thing -, used with the entry-level MJ Acoustics subwoofer, the Pro 50 MkII

A

Anonymous

I would be planning to use it with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and then buy a suitable sub. Slightly larger than the MS 902i I believe. Wonder if I could survive without the sub? They are a bit bass light though........

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Chris The Ninja Pirate"]
I would be planning to use it with Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s and then buy a suitable sub. Slightly larger than the MS 902i I believe. Wonder if I could survive without the sub? They are a bit bass light though........

[/quote]

Imho 9.1 would suit the Onkyo well. The 902is Andrew suggested for instance, sound very well indeed but I;m afraid the top-end might get a little bit bright/harsh with that combination. As the 9.1 is somewhat on the warmer side, I think it should match fairly well.

About the question if you can get by without a sub, it totally depends on what you use it for, if only for music them yes, I'm sure you don't really need a sub. Unless you have a bigger room, or watch a lot of movies, then yes, imho you would surely need a subwoofer. As you mentioned yourself, the 9.1's are a bit bass shy and when you're watching a movie you just might want some extra slam and bass depth.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions: feel free to ask. As a salesman in an audiostore I get to toy with quite alot of new kit, it's probably the best part of my job. :)

A

Anonymous

Cheers Jan, thanks for the input. I am more concerned about how my CD collection will sound that how films will sound. My current setup has been fine for film watching up until now, its just since I have upgraded my TV I now have this audio delay,which is forcing me to upgrade the amp and I think I might as well go for a bit of minimalism at the same time and get an all in one.

At the moment I have a straight choice between the LS-V501 and a Denon S101. The more minimalist approach of the Denon is appealing (smaller speakers on show) but I am concerned how it will cope with music compared to the LS-V501.

The only other real possibles are the Sony DAV-IS10 or NAD L54 but I can't find out whether either of these can audio delay an external signal. Don't suppose you know do you?

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't know from the top of my head, to be honest. I can check the DAV-IS10 manual, but it's readily available on the sony site. To be frank, however I wouldn't even consider it. The IS10 sounds dreadfull to my ears, it's an uninspiring listen with too much noise coming from the subwoofers.

I don't have any hands on experiences with the L54, as the store I work in doesn't carry any NAD equipment. Maybe someone else can chime in on it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your opinion on the DAV-IS10, that is what I would have assumed but it gets good reviews. I have checked the manual online and it is only specific for the DVD not for an external source. To be honest I don't like the looks of the Nad and unless it was significantly better than the Onkyo I would prefer the LS-V501.

So the choice is LS-V501 or the Denon S101. Have you any opinion on the S101?

A

Anonymous

Are you looking at the Denon S-101 or the new S-102? I was a big fan of the 01 series, both the 101 and 301 were excellent products. I'm not such a big fan of the 02 series, I must admit. The older series felt like classy pieces of kit, the newer ones feel less well built. Don't get me wrong, build quality is still leaps and bounds better than for instance a Bose 3-2-1, but compared to the older series it feels like Denon did some costcutting. Especially the two-sided remote, which used to be a very sturdy metallic device, is now replaced with a somewhat flimsy plastic remote.

The 102 is still an excellent product (as is the 101) and both products sound very good, especially with stereo music. Given the price difference however, I'd recommend you to buy a single Onkyo V-501 unit, and use it in tandem with some decent standmounts. The Onkyo is an excellent receiver, and as Andrew pointed out, the basic speakers supplied with the set hold the receiver back, it's capable of much more.

Do, and I can't really stress this enough, check both systems out in the store. Try to demo both extensively and then make up your mind.

A

Anonymous

Cheers dude, your input has been most invaluable.

I am considering the 101, principally on cost grounds, since I have seen it for £400, the same price as the Onkyo (receiver only). I will have to try and locate a store in London which has both in stock - probably a tough ask since I have only seen the LS-V501 online at one stockist.

Much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

One more thing Chris,
the Onkyo Looks far better in black!!! In Silver in my opinion it looks kind of cheap.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dio! Its the main thing that is counting against the 101 at the moment - its silver! I really prefer the look of the 102, but a) can't afford it, b) it doesn't do what I want. The Onkyo looks lurvely in black and would match my TV beautifully. Decisions, decisions. Hopefully decide this week.

A

Anonymous

Ordered the Onkyo DR-S501 - the receiver only version of the Onkyo LS-V501. Will take a few weeks to appear but I will get back once it appears.

A

Anonymous

Hey dio, or Jan, I am just wondering the best way of getting sound from the TV into the Onkyo?

Currently I am using phono out from the TV. Assuming the Onkyo IS able to delay audio on an analogue input I guess there is no reason to upgrade to a digital cable? I can't imagine the TV outputs sound of a quality worth using digital for, but assuming I did does the Onkyo have a TOSLINK input or digital coax or both?

In terms of output currently I use component. I was going to stick with that unless you can convince me that HDMI is going to be worth getting. And if so (runs for cover) do you have any recommendations for an HDMI and suitable digital audio cable?

Cheers

CTNP

A

Anonymous

1) The Onkyo has digital optical in, but from my experience I can tell You it works rubbish with 3/4 of content on TV. TV programs are recorded crappy and everything is quite silent, then on goes a commercial and... BAMMM mother of God so freaking loud my dog gets a heart attack... I have QED QUNEX OT, but 95% of the time my Onkyo is fed sound with a QED Qunex 1- analog interconnect (just turn audio in from digital to analog). Sounds great.

2) I use HDMI (QED QUNEX HDMI sr) and am Happy with it. I tend to use only the good chanels from my cable and sat recievers, but still a lot of programs are 4/3 instead of 16/9, so playing them through HDMI then formating the image to 16/9 (the tv does that) and I get a picture thats streched and unnnatural...

... I think what You should do (I'm gonna try this in a couple of days) is: connect my sat with the onkyo with a HDMI cable, then output from the Onkyo 2 ways (by component and by HDMI). Then depending on what I'm watching, choose the comp or hdmi output of the Onkyo (that way HD contetnt will be in its best possible quality, and the shitty signal will be a bit more natural thruogh the component set to Pal).

I wont be original, cause all my cabling is QED, but I was rather pleased with my QED QUNEX HDMI-P, I changed it to HDMI SR, but cant quite see the difference.

A

Anonymous

Cheers Dio,

All the content I watch will be SD, and initially at least it will be provided by an external IPTV box, which has quite a soft image. So are you saying, in your opinion, SD material looks better through component? The other question is how good is the DVD scaler in the Onkyo - I guess I will only know when I try outputting native and 1080i to my panel.

And just to clarify, are you able to audio delay and analog input?

By the way, we have something else in common - all my cables are from one manufacturer as well.........I hated the fact that previously they didn't match. That is probably the definition of sad really, isn't it. Or I am harbouring some latent obsessive behaviour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts