Onkyo LS-V501 - help purchasing a 2.1 system.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Seeing as you boys seem to know alot about this system, can you tell me will it be possible to have a PS3, Sky+ and TV sound coming through the speakers?

I have tried reading your posts but sometimes there are some abbreviations I am not familiar with!

A

Anonymous

There is a single HDMI input, so you could take the image and video from ONE of your boxes (PS3 definitely, don't know about Sky+) and loop it through the Onkyo. Your other box (probably the Sky+) can be connected either via a digital audio connection (which I believe the Sky+ box has) or via analogue audio. By TV sound do you mean from an internal tuner, i.e. Freeview or analogue? As long as your TV has an audio output (either digital or analogue) then yes, you would be able to.

So the short answer is, yes it can.

A

Anonymous

Hows your Onkyo doing Chriss?

Plus can anyone tell me how the Onkyo did in the new WHF printed Mag, here in Poland I probably have to wait till april to get th eapril edition... (My rating would be 4 stars) ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi Dio, my Onkyo is currently on a courier van somewhere - I am hoping to be able to get it delivered on Saturday. I am going to pop out later on and track down a copy of WL and check what the review is like!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Review is on page 10 of the April issue, out today.
emotion-5.gif

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It's a three-star review: we felt the speakers let an otherwise strong system down. Watch this space for an online review of the DVD/receiver unit on its ownsome...

Juzzie Wuzzie

That is something I'd almost pay for now - given I am thinking about pairing the receiver with two sats + sub from the Jamo HCS5 system.

Or, just getting the Arcam Solo Movie 2.1 (acknowledging the two different price bands).

A

Anonymous

So it turns out buying the reciever alone without the speakers is a good idea...
So my problems with fine-tuning the sats to play along with the sub should'nt come as a shock to me. Doesnt matter, was gonna change the speakers any way (Anthony Gallo or Scandyna Minipod's with some good fast sub).

A

Anonymous

A three-star review? I'm dieing to find out why, as it seems kind of harsh. I'm particularly fond of the package myself, with both the speakers/subwoofer and the receiver alone.

Here's a question for Clare, Andy and Andrew: do you have any 2.1 supertests/shoot-outs planned soon? There's quite a lot of demand for 2.1's, and I'd love to hear your opinions on them, i.e. the Panasonic PTX7, Onkyo LS-V501, Denon D-102, Bose 3-2-1, etc. There's quite a lot out there, and all somewhat in the same price bracket, I'd love to hear your findings on how they stack up against eachother.

A

Anonymous

Well, Clare already wrote why- the reciever is a good product but the speakers are lame. I personaly agree with that opinion although I presumed it would get 4 stars.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="Jan Hibma"]

Here's a question for Clare, Andy and Andrew: do you have any 2.1 supertests/shoot-outs planned soon?

[/quote]

Good idea. Not my call as far as the magazine is concerned, but I'll suggest it to Rich, the new Editor.

A

Anonymous

Arrrghhhh. So I have just picked up the receiver but can I really only use bare wire speaker cable? Or can those black bits blocking the center of the speaker terminals be removed somehow (and if so, HOW???).

A

Anonymous

Some initial impressions.

The unit is DEEP! Much deeper than any of my previous kit. Which meant I spent the first four hours of ownership drilling holes in the back of my brand new TV unit. I am not particularly handy at DIY. However, it was marginally deeper than my unit BEFORE anything was plugged into it. If your unit is open backed not much of an issue but if you have one with a back it is something you might need to consider before purchase. Or buy a jigsaw.

I couldn't figure out how to use my lovely Chord Carnival cable with QED airloc plugs so went and got some new bare wire QED Silver Anniversary cables just so I could hook it up. Probably a step down in terms of quality, but I am not too concerned at the moment. I connected these to my Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's, so I am not using the speakers you get in the V501 package. Also, my setup has changed, so not only am I using different cable the 9.1's are no longer on my Nexus 6 stands but are sat either side of the TV on the bench top, so probably difficult to compare accurately.

First test - CD audio. Sounded a bit weedy and sibilant at low listening volumes. However it gained a LOT when turned up to even 'normal' volumes. Subsequently I realised that the system was set up to use a sub and the crossover frequency was set quite high. I have changed this now, but not tried the system with a music CD again.

Second test - Radio. Awesome. I have a dedicated FM aerial, which I don't think anyone else in the block uses, and the sound that came out of the speakers was truly great. So much that I may stop listening to digital broadcasts and move back to FM.

Third Test - Sound from TV. Connected to (analog) Video Input 1 and sounds fine to me. My prinicpal TV source is an IPTV box, which is fed into the TV via SCART (no audio outputs on box) and through the TV. Had to get this new amp because there was audio/video sync problems (60ms if anyone is interested) which is now corrected. So, stereo sound from the (probably compressed) audio stream was fine. Didn't really watch anything that would test this properly, so will update if I notice anything.

Fourth Test - DVD output. Video stream looked great outputting progressive via component. Disappointed that you can't output upscaled image via component. Not sure that I will bother getting the HDMI just yet - the scaler in my TV seems pretty good, so not sure whether the scaler in the Onkyo will be any better, and then whether undergoing another scale (720-->768) would degrade the benefit anyway. Also, can't be bothered to drill any more holes in my cabinet. I also altered the settings on my plasma, since I have been running in for a while, so can't directly compare, but the opening scenes of Fellowship of the Ring looked totally awesome, really 3D with great detail and colour. In terms of sound it seemed OK, although again haven't really had the opportunity to test this. Tried changing the sound from stereo to artificial 5.1 and it did put a bit more space in the soundstage. Will need to test this properly before I can comment.

So, at the moment I am pleased. I have converted a three box system into a one box system, for not too huge a cost and importantly I don't feel like I have lost a lot in sonic performance on CD audio, which was my major concern. I will update as I give it a proper workout over the next while.

A

Anonymous

Hi there,

I'm also planning to get the
DR-S501 unit only and I was wondering it it will be a good match with a pair of B&W 601S2 ?

Thanks a lot,

Daniel.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts