Please help me choose between Pioneer SCLX56 or Pioneer SCLX86 - Opinions needed ASAP

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Just wanted to say I have recently joined the forum and how awesome this place is with a great community.

I am a complete novice in terms of audio equipment. Never purchased an Amp and speakers, but taking the plunge now. I have a fairly large living room (10 meters in length, and 3.6 meters in width so the room is quite rectangular) with decent panasonic plasma in the middle of the room against the wall. Im now looking to buy a decent audio system to support this now. Looking to go 5.1 at the moment for practical reasons at this moment mainly for Movie and TV watching.

Now I definitely want to go down the pioneer route, so its either the Pioneer SCLX56 or Pioneer SCLX86 I will go for. I'm looking to take advantage of the special discounted rate pioneer are offering until March 31st so I need to be quick!

I have demo'd the SCLX86 and it sounds great Zensor 7 speaker package from Richer Sounds. However, its considerably more money than the SCLX56. (They dont have the SCLX56 in stock for me to demo).

Bearing in mind I haven’t purchased the speakers to accompany this amp yet, but most likely I will go with either the

Zensor 7 package
Dali PAH01304 | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

or perhaps the IKON MK2 package here
Dali PAH01949 | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

So my questions

1) Is the Pioneer SCLX86 worth the extra £550 and will I benefit from it??

Given the fact I'm not 100% sure which speakers I'll buy, and taking into account the size of the large room, do I go for the Pioneer SCLX56 or Pioneer SCLX86?

The SCLX56 is around £900 with the discounted rate.
The SCLX86 is around £1450 with the discounted rate.

2) What do you guys think to the speakers I am considering?

Zensor 7 package
Dali PAH01304 | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

or perhaps the IKON MK2 package here
Dali PAH01949 | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

3) There is a cash back promotion at the moment until 31st March, hence the reason I’m trying to make the amp purchase now. Is it worth purchasing now due to this deal or do Pioneer generally extend deals / drop prices or bring out other deals soon? (If so, then I will hold off the purchase but keen to hear everyone’s thoughts)

Many thanks in Advance for any advice!!

ianb76

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, I've owned the SCLX76 for about 4 months now & it's a fantastic amp. I can totally recommend it. The SCLX76 is closer in spec to the 86 & can be picked up for about £1200. I bought mine from Richer Sounds.

Speaker wise I've read on many forums that the Dali ranges do match the Pioneers well, also MA Apex seem to be recommended too. I personally have B&W MT-25 7.1, the amp has given these speakers new lease of life. I previously had Yamaha RXV1067, which I felt didn't get the best out of my speakers.

Regarding the cash back promotion. I'm pretty sure it was extended, as when bought mine think it was due to end in January, if memory serves me correctly. Retailers may keep prices same when promotion is over, but you can never tell.

I'd recommend picking one up, then you have Easter weekend to set it up & test (I still alter settings after 4 mths, drives me wife nuts lol!)

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Big room. Big budget. I am sure any good HiFi store will entertain an extended listening test with so many options. You should be able to negotiate a fair price. Have u listened to any yet? Enjoy yr weekend assured in the knowledge that this forumite has been of no use whatsoever. Cheers.

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Didnt know to go for the Dali 6 MK2 speaker package or the Zensor 7's. Speaking to a few people in Richer Sounds, they said that the Dali 6 Mk2 does sound 'bright'. Didnt manage to have a demo, but I did demo the Zensor 7 package with the Pioneer SC-LX86 and they sounded great to me. So, just went for the Zensor 7 5.1 package and Pioneer SC-LX86

Just hope I have made the right choice, the below discounted rate did it for me and to pick them up at that price was a really good deal I thought. Please let me know your comments?!

Zensor 7 package here makes the package £1, 233 with the 10% discount applied, which is the cheapest I have seen it anywhere!!

http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Dali-Zensor-7-5.1-Speaker-Package/product_5498

Regards

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Did you demo in Richer sounds and buy at Audio Affair or did RS match the price for you? I am staggered that the Ikon's were described as bright - just shows these descriptions mean nothing. Good to see that you got a demo and as long as you liked what you heard that is the main thing.

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
RS Price matched and beat them by a few pounds.

Can you please clarify what you meant when you said 'it goes to show these descritpions mean nothing'? (which descriptions were you referring to?)

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks Big Boss.

When people refer to speakers or amps as being 'bright', does that generally mean that they have too much trebble? (looking on the net, and it seems thats what 'bright' means, and that there are too many 'high' frequencies). Is that correct?

Sanjayo1 said:
thanks Big Boss.

When people refer to speakers or amps as being 'bright', does that generally mean that they have too much trebble? (looking on the net, and it seems thats what 'bright' means, and that there are too many 'high' frequencies). Is that correct?

Yes, there is an emphasis on higher frequencies.

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Big Boss, I did demo the B&WCM8 and must say they were much clearer than the Dali Zensor 7 package. Obviously, its no where near like for like, but got me thinking about demoing the Ikon 6 MK2 package now, as thats within my budget.

Should RS be able to do an exchange do you think?

JJ

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Very simple:

If you can afford it, go for 86

If you cannot afford it, go for 56.

Easiest question to answer. Why are you so confused.

Buy what you can afford. No need for a credit card and debt.

Just pay cash and be happy!!

Sanjayo1 said:
Thanks Big Boss, I did demo the B&WCM8 and must say they were much clearer than the Dali Zensor 7 package. Obviously, its no where near like for like, but got me thinking about demoing the Ikon 6 MK2 package now, as thats within my budget.

Should RS be able to do an exchange do you think?

Yes, they should. Speak to them.

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Demod the Dali Ikon 6 Mk2 package, and was very impressed. My budget is just over £2,000 for speakers, are there any other speaker packages that I should consider around this price range?

Everything seems to be pointing me towards the Dali Ikons, but open to other suggestions before I make the purchase this time.

(Returned the Zensor package 7 package I purchased earlier)

Regards

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
If your speaker budget is around £2000, then I'd recommend demo'ing Monitor Audio RX6 AV12 package. I recently bought the front left and right and will buy the rest as and when I can afford to. I demo'd them with Yamaha recievers [RX-A820 & RX-A1020], they sounded great, and the build quality is superb. I also understand they pair very nicely with Pioneer, they also got a 5 star rating from WHF.

Good luck with the search

Sanjayo1

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Dukeden

Have you heard the Dali Ikon 6 mk2's at all? Just wondering how they compare as I havent heard the monitor Audio range Monitor Audio RX6 AV12, so will go and have a listen.

Has anyone else demod the above speaker packages at all?

Regards

dukeden

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Sanjayo1,

No, I haven't heard the Deli Ikon 6 mk2's, so couldn't help you there. I'm sure there are others on here that could help. Just remember to demo before you part with you cash, and go with your ears and not what others say. After all you'll be the one listening to the speakers.

Good luck with the demo

Regards

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts