Onkyo 9010 UK vs others

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Whats up with this Onkyo 9010 from the UK being different than other contries? I live in the Netherlands and here the 9010 comes with digital inputs but I heard the UK version has better sound quality, warmer etc? Anybody can confirm the UK verserion indeed sounds better?

insider9

Doubt that many people heard both. I've owned UK A9010 and in my opinion is the best amp up to circa £350 if buying new. I preferred it to any other amp I've heard including quite a few of lauded Marantz amps.

Nelis87

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Many people share that opinion according to other forums. But im not looking for someone who can exactly describe the differences between the two, I just want to know if there is a difference is soundquality, parts, etc in the first place, or is this version excactly the same but with digital inputs.

Actually, it says so on the website:-

The latest addition to our Pure Hi-Fi lineup, the affordable A-9010 Integrated Stereo Amplifier was tuned in the UK with specially modified circuitries and four audio-grade capacitors to deliver the warm, full-bodied sound European listeners prefer.

insider9

Nelis87 said:
Interesting. I never seen a product changed because of regional preferences. Nice product, Onkyo really does a good job in 2 channel land.
Happens all the time and I'm sure you've seen it many times without giving it any thought. Whether it's recipes to reflect regional tastes (Coca-Cola) and ingredients (McDonald's), brand names (Vauxhall/Opel or Walkers/Lays/many other), to specs very common in many models of mobile phones and other electronics or like this time hifi.

Gray

Nelis87 said:
Interesting. I never seen a product changed because of regional preferences. Nice product, Onkyo really does a good job in 2 channel land.

(When they wanted to charge more) They had a special badge. My brother's still got their UK tuned full sized minidisc deck - and it does sound good (especially considering MD is inferior to CD quality)

insider9

Gray said:
Nelis87 said:

(When they wanted to charge more) They had a special badge. My brother's still got their UK tuned full sized minidisc deck - and it does sound good (especially considering MD is inferior to CD quality)
How exactly is MD inferior to CD?

insider9 said:
Gray said:
Nelis87 said:

Because nobody issues them any more? :)

Gray

Al ears said:
insider9 said:
Gray said:
Nelis87 said:

Because nobody issues them any more? :)

Although the discs were 74 minutes long (same as the earliest CDR / CDRW Audio discs), MD was a lossy format. I think it was (a version of?) ATRAC. Meant to be (and seemed to be) less detrimental than mp3.

I've got a CD recorder and although the sound was (supposedly) better, I can say that, in terms of editing flexibility MD, was light years ahead of Audio CD recorders. I've even got a Sony MZ-35 portable MD recorder that beats CD recorders in that respect. Anyone who's ever had a standalone CD recorder will know that they're an imprecise science. The full sized Sony MD deck, on the other hand, was consistenly accurate and faultless. It's even got 'frame accurate' (fractions of seconds) editing adjustment, which I (sad git) I actually used.

(Brother bought loads of TDK blank MDs to last him well into the future and still regularly uses the deck)

insider9

MD was lossy. I've not realised until now.

Interesting that I've played about with Sony Minidisc player earlier this year and found it really good for sound quality. All being under impression that it is lossless. It makes more sense why it never had a chance with CD.

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
MD was lossy. I've not realised until now.

Interesting that I've played about with Sony Minidisc player earlier this year and found it really good for sound quality. All being under impression that it is lossless. It makes more sense why it never had a chance with CD.

MD good product - but a bit of a sony betamax

tonky

Leif

May 11, 2014
Visit site
nopiano said:

The latest addition to our Pure Hi-Fi lineup, the affordable A-9010 Integrated Stereo Amplifier was tuned in the UK with specially modified circuitries and four audio-grade capacitors to deliver the warm, full-bodied sound European listeners prefer.

I have a suspicion you are misreading the web site text. What I think they mean is that UK engineers tuned the amp, not that the UK version is different. In other words, it is the same everywhere, but it has been tuned to European tastes.

Leif said:
nopiano said:

I have a suspicion you are misreading the web site text. What I think they mean is that UK engineers tuned the amp, not that the UK version is different. In other words, it is the same everywhere, but it has been tuned to European tastes.
I guess that is possible, but I don't think that would be "specially modified" then, rather simply tuned to deliver....

As you know, the U.K. version is different in other ways, and as I suggested earlier, the op could ask Onkyo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts