Onkyo 809 or Marantz 7005 with music?

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I listen to a lot of music on my system, anyone know if the Marantz will sound better than the Onkyo? I'm guessing the Onkyo will be slightly better with movies.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks David,

From the reviews it did say the Marantz was lacking in the mid-range but not a lot else. Also I can never work out with reviews whether they mean with multi-channel music on blu-ray or from a CD player just using the amplifier and not the DAC.

Have a squezebox touch to feed it with sound.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
One word. Excellent.

I think AV amps/receivers are fantastic value and a lot more capable with music than a lot give them credit for.

The amps have a lot more power (grip) than some of the more delicate (maybe a little more detailed) 2 ch amps.

Tbh. I don't listen to loads of music on that system. But I'd be fairly certain that any stereo amps I've had would have struggled with some of the soundtracks my Yamaha has to deal with.

A friend of mine uses a Yamaha RXV667 with a pair of B&W CM7s and it sounds great.

Btw, the DACs on the AV amps are usually pretty good if you want to use it that way.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I tried the DAC on my amp and was much happier with the one in the Squeezebox, especially after doing a few mods.

Thanks for your help, nearly bought a used 3067 for the cost of a new 7005. Still might be tempted from what you've said.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts