Considering upgrading my Q_Acoustics NXT AV system

JohnGB

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
I would like to improve the sound quality on my speaker system in particular w.r.t. voice in movies and classical music, e.g. PROMS on BBC4
My amp is an Onkyo TX-L50. Would exchanging my centre speaker alone help? I have been looking at the Q-Acoustics Concept 3090Ci.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have Q-Acoustics Concept 3090Ci in my AV, I am really impressed with them.
My original centre speakers were from Gale. These are the Richer Sound proprietary brand, they were Ok, a little dull in tonality. On the back of very positive reviews, I replaced them with the Q-Acoustics Concept 3090Ci. They're beautifully constructed and punch way beyond their price range.
Yes. The dynamics had changed, the Gales were the weakest link in the chain but now, I have better balanced system.

I should also mention, if your front speakers are not up to the task the Q-Acoustics Concept 3090Ci. will dominate so you may need to realign them, so the output is in parity with the left and right speakers.

Last edited:

JohnGB

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Not sure what to do about the left and right front speakers. Currently they are positioned either side of the centre speaker making in effect a sound bar. To achieve the same look I would have to use a pair of 3010i slimline speakers on their side. Do you think that would work?

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. Not sure what to do about the left and right front speakers. Currently they are positioned either side of the centre speaker making in effect a sound bar. To achieve the same look I would have to use a pair of 3010i slimline speakers on their side. Do you think that would work?
What brand of front speakers are you currently using? Are these floor standing or mounted on stands. This might give me clue to its sonic characteristics.

I have my front Monitor Audio 200 silver speakers and Dali F9 subwoofer positioned furthest from the wall to eliminate any low frequency boominess. However, my rear Monitor Audio 270 Radius speakers due to room restrictions such as furniture layout are positioned up against the wall which isn't ideal.
The Q 3090Ci centre speaker is housed inside IKEA cabinet with the other HiFi, the doors have wide open metal gtills which allows the speaker to breathe freely.
My wife always has the final say how things are positioned and the looks must first have her seal of approval upon purchase!
The Q 3090Ci was a sneaky purchase as it sits inside the cabinet, I think she still thinks these are the old Gale speakers!

In terms of aesthetics and family sonic characteristics the Q 3010is would be good match.

Ps. What cables are you using?
My personal choice veers towards, less multi_strand but thicker cores with less strands. If the tonality of your speakers are warm then multi-strand would work better, giving them a bit of brightnes.
I have Chord C cables network inside the skirting wall panels, soldered to speaker terminal plugs.
The actual speaker cables are AUDIOQUEST, they just look cool and they also sound great 😊

Last edited:

JohnGB

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
What brand of front speakers are you currently using? Are these floor standing or mounted on stands. This might give me clue to its sonic characteristics.

I have my front Monitor Audio 200 silver speakers and Dali F9 subwoofer positioned furthest from the wall to eliminate any low frequency boominess. However, my rear Monitor Audio 270 Radius speakers due to room restrictions such as furniture layout are positioned up against the wall which isn't ideal.
The Q 3090Ci centre speaker is housed inside IKEA cabinet with the other HiFi, the doors have wide open metal gtills which allows the speaker to breathe freely.
My wife always has the final say how things are positioned and the looks must first have her seal of approval upon purchase!
The Q 3090Ci was a sneaky purchase as it sits inside the cabinet, I think she still thinks these are the old Gale speakers!

In terms of aesthetics and family sonic characteristics the Q 3010is would be good match.

Ps. What cables are you using?
My personal choice veers towards, less multi_strand but thicker cores with less strands. If the tonality of your speakers are warm then multi-strand would work better, giving them a bit of brightnes.
I have Chord C cables network inside the skirting wall panels, soldered to speaker terminal plugs.
The actual speaker cables are AUDIOQUEST, they just look cool and they also sound great 😊
I have the Q-Acoustics AV NXT system - not manufactured any more but each speaker is flat radiator not a cone. see attached link https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-av/review. Its pretty dated now. The front speakers sit in a rack under the telly which is why I was looking to keep the height down.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have the Q-Acoustics AV NXT system - not manufactured any more but each speaker is flat radiator not a cone. see attached link https://www.whathifi.com/q-acoustics/q-av/review. Its pretty dated now. The front speakers sit in a rack under the telly which is why I was looking to keep the height down.
Wow these are most unusual.
Honestly I wouldn't know where to start with these, unless someone looking at this thread is familiar with these speakers is able to provide their thoughts.
If you think the sound or the balance isn't quite right, might be a good time to replace them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts