On Board decoding - thru TV or direct

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System comprises a SamsungUE46B6000 fed for picture by HDMI's from BDP760 and Panny Freesat HD/DVD recorder DMR-XS350. Amp is Yamaha RX-V450 with no HDMI input so sound is fed from BD player via multichannel analogue and from Freesat by optical digital. I also have connected a Sony Freeview HD/DVD recorder again HDMI to TV for picture but digital coax to Amp for sound. All fine but changing source etc means a lot of fiddling.

I now realise that the TV has an optical digital out so would it work to simply use this to feed sound to amp just from this TV output. This would seem to mean that sound from surround sound would automatically follow whichever source is selected at the TV. The HDMI's from all 3 sources would take picture and sound to TV with no direct connection to the Amp.

Sorry if covered before but can't find owt. Thanx for time.

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
As far as I am aware, TV optical out will normally only send 5.1 sound from its own tuner (if prog broadcast in surround.) All other connected inputs are normally sent as downmixed pcm stereo, so your amp will normally apply pro logic decoding or similar. Check your manual to see if this is true of your particular model.

Another option would be to buy universal remote with macro function that would change input sources on tv and amp at same time.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. By mentioning the new remote route, are you saying that to rely on pro logic decoding of stereo output by the amp is not a sensible solution or at least not preferable to decoding by the BD player and multi channel connection? And wot about the HD/freesat box - rarely 5.1 anyway so would going thru thr TV make much difference?

Hope you can find the time to carry on thread .Or is there anyone out there who uses or has tried this solution?

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
in my opinion, properly decoded DD, DTS via optical or the HD soundtracks via your analogue connections are far superior to pro logic, i wish my old sat box had a optical out as pro logic just don't cut it...

A

Anonymous

I've just tested this using an optical from the UE46C8000 to my amp.

The tv only outputs 5.1 when watching the internal tuner (C4HD as the example channel) and 2.1 from all other inputs such as a blu-ray.

So I think ur stuck having to switch inputs on your amp.

A

Anonymous

Thanx guys-helpful stuff. I have also checked and only internal tuner outputs 5.1. Wot I still dont know is whether my ears are really good enough to notice any short comings in pro logic conversion of stereo! I Unless anyone has made the comparison i guess i must try for myself - partly being lazy but also find it very hard to compare two things when not side my side. Had the same trouble with MS and Diamonds etc etc not to mention women!

As for your old sat box having no optical out, treat yourself to the PannyHD/DVD/TWIN TUNER FREESAT DMR XS350 - SUPERB and yours for £300 on the net. Also the Samsumg ue 46b6000 is a joy. As for constant posts about size, at 2.5 mtrs viewing position the 45 is very quickly accepted - dare i say taken for granted as the necessary size - and makes the old 37 a poor second choice. I could easily see a 50 next time round( years away tho)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts