Old Enough to Remember This?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of sounding like an old duffer, interesting to compare the quality of the explanation with TV today. Excellent technical description, well presented and scientifically accurate.

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Yep- was on just before Top of the Pops. 7:00 Tomorrow's World, 7:30 TOTP on a Thursday, my two favourite programmes. Who would have thought I'd end up a guitar playing engineer?

One episode, they explained that the new Cray supercomputers were liquid cooled using a non conducting liquid and to demonstrate lowered a working big old tube TV into a fish tank of liquid so we could see the picture still working.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
In those days, the BBC would have been sure to put black plastic tape over the badges.More interested to know what speakers they were using - Harbeths or something else back then?

Remember how they used to scrub the printing (or whatever it was) off the washing up liquid bottles on Blue Peter?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
andyjm said:
At the risk of sounding like an old duffer, interesting to compare the quality of the explanation with TV today. Excellent technical description, well presented and scientifically accurate.

I recently went for a job interview where the job is largely to explain technical oil and gas stuff to bankers who don't even fill up their own cars (probably). The 60-ish English guy interviewing me got it immediately when I said "Tomorrow's World". The American didn't.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts