Old & Dying CD Player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bought modest hifi set 14 years ago consisting of Audiolab 8000C & P amplifiers, Monitor Audio MA800 speakers, Teac VDRS 10 CD player with VDH interconnects and cables. Gave me great pleasure. Lost interest for last 4 - 5 years. Picked it up again recently and the pleasure continues.

However my Teac Cd player is near its end of lfe and slowly dying away. Do not want to change other components.

Anyone old enough out there to rememebr how the above components sound and give advice on which "new/modern" Cd player will match into other components. I listen mainly to vocals with orchestral backing and 70s/80s pop songs.

Cd player preferably below 600 sterling pounds

Thanks, Ngun.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With that budget and your taste in music my top 3 CDPs would be:

Arcam CD192
Cyrus 6 or
Rega Apollo

Im sure other folks will be along with other ideas

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Assuming the Teac VRDS 10 still has a healthy transport then why not just plug it in to a modern DAC and play it through that?

Only £200 for a DacMagic to give it a new lease of life.

Hifi World (current December issue) have done exactly that in their review of the DacMagic (p38-39)
with a Teac VRDS 10SE and they loved it!

(It seems the VRDS 10 had the same CMK 3.2 transport as used in a number of high-end Wadia models so it may even be worth getting it serviced if the transport is off.)

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Will look into the Arcam & Cyrus but not sure if my town in Malaysia has them.

A

Anonymous

Trouble with the CD is that the Cd tray does not work. Does not go in or out well and looks as if it will suddenly have a heart attack and die. Once the Cd is in, it plays well though. Maybe i should try to get it repaired if possible.

Thanks.

John Duncan

Probably just needs some grease on the rail. I think it would at least be worth investigating, though the suggestion above of adding a DAC to it would perk it up nicely as well, assuming you can get it working smoothly again.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts