CD Player to complement existing system

DorianThomas

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
The main components of my HiFi are more than 15 years old and still going strong with the exception of the CD Player which I am now looking to replace as it is constantly skipping.

I am after suggestions on what would complement my exisiting Myryad T40 amp and Monitor Audio Silver 5i speakers. The CD player I am looking to replace is a Marantz CD67SE which in its day performed really well with the above.

Any suggestions thoughts welcome.

The CD 67SE was good in it's day but things have moved on. In my opinion there is absolutely no point in replacing a 15 year old plus CD player with one that first came out in 1997.

Even the cheapest of today's players (include bluray players here) is likely to produce a better SQ.

Sorry if that sounds a bit blunt... and welcome to the forum.

DorianThomas said:
Budget wise I am looking sub £400, this is what I have limited myself to in the past.

My apologies I completely misread you initial post.... it is a Sunday and I'm very tired. *biggrin*

There are plenty to consider within you budget that would be an ideal replacement. In fact I would say Marantz's CD6005 would fit the bill nicely. More opportunities arise if you are prepared to buy ex-demo or recent models going second-hand.

DorianThomas

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your thoughts, this is the confirmation I was after i.e. how much has things moved on since my last CD player purchase with regards to sound qaulity.

I will no doubt need to get into a listening room somewhere and start comparing makes and models across a number of price ranges to see if the more expensive models will shine with a moderate amp and speakers.

slice

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can see the marantz 5005 is the same as the 6005 except it doesn't have a usb input. If you don't need the usb input you can save £60/70. However the same is not true of the 5004 - the 5005 has an upgraded dac and transport compared to the 5004.

DorianThomas

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
After a number of hours in a demo room in Richer Sounds I walked out with a Cambridge Audio Azur 351C!

Started off with the 351C big brother the 651C and was not really impressed, we then switched to the 351C before trying out the Marantz 6005 and 5005. To be honest there was no difference between the 6005 and the 5005 which suggests that they are the same with the exception of the USB port.

Whilst I liked the sound from both the 351 and 5005, I punted for the 351 in the end as it remained more balanced when the volume was cranked up when compared with the Marantz.

I was quite shocked on how I preferred the 351 over the 651 though!

DorianThomas said:
After a number of hours in a demo room in Richer Sounds I walked out with a Cambridge Audio Azur 351C!

Started off with the 351C big brother the 651C and was not really impressed, we then switched to the 351C before trying out the Marantz 6005 and 5005. To be honest there was no difference between the 6005 and the 5005 which suggests that they are the same with the exception of the USB port.

Whilst I liked the sound from both the 351 and 5005, I punted for the 351 in the end as it remained more balanced when the volume was cranked up when compared with the Marantz.

I was quite shocked on how I preferred the 351 over the 651 though!
A great example of why some of us bang on about listening and not being slavish to price or '5 stars'. I hope you will enjoy your new gear!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts