Oh s@@@! What have I done?

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Covenanter said:
PP was unacceptably traduced earler and there is no excuse for that. However PP does tempt criticism because of the nature of his posts. His comments are purely individual and subjective and in fact completely useless to anybody else. He isn't an audiophile or even someone who is into hifi. He just likes "nice noise" which is useless to a third party unless you like his "nice noise".

Chris

That's really unfair. If I really wasn't into hi-fi how comes I've spent thousands since 1978?

I can only base my views on how I hear things. If that helps people... great. If not, what else can I do?

In fact, my own system aside, since joining in 2008, I've helped countless people. Now whether they taken any advice is another matter. There's no more self-interest than you banging on about your set-up.

Really don't understand this agg I'm getting.

CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
ifor said:
steve_1979 said:
Electro said:
*nea*

I disagree.

I thought he made a good point. Very concisely put too.

i suspect he lost something in the layout. It appears to be dictionary definitions of "of" and "have". I have some symapathy with the point he appears to be making. The other one that crops up all to often is "your" when what is meant is "you're" or "you are". Is that people are illiterate or can't be bothered to correct predictive typing?

And then there are those idiots who confuse 'to' and 'too'.

It's all just to much! *smile*

Shouldn't that be "two much"? Ahem.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
BenLaw said:
ifor said:
steve_1979 said:
Electro said:
*nea*

I disagree.

I thought he made a good point. Very concisely put too.

i suspect he lost something in the layout. It appears to be dictionary definitions of "of" and "have". I have some symapathy with the point he appears to be making. The other one that crops up all to often is "your" when what is meant is "you're" or "you are". Is that people are illiterate or can't be bothered to correct predictive typing?

And then there are those idiots who confuse 'to' and 'too'.

It's all just to much! *smile*

Shouldn't that be "two much"? Ahem.

No, as their is only won off them!

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Covenanter said:
PP was unacceptably traduced earler and there is no excuse for that. However PP does tempt criticism because of the nature of his posts. His comments are purely individual and subjective and in fact completely useless to anybody else. He isn't an audiophile or even someone who is into hifi. He just likes "nice noise" which is useless to a third party unless you like his "nice noise".

Chris

That's really unfair. If I really wasn't into hi-fi how comes I've spent thousands since 1978?

I can only base my views on how I hear things. If that helps people... great. If not, what else can I do?

In fact, my own system aside, since joining in 2008, I've helped countless people. Now whether they taken any advice is another matter. There's no more self-interest than you banging on about your set-up.

I don't understand it either PP. It ALL comes down to personal opinions in the end and I've not found your posts to be any more about self interest than anyone else's.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've dipped in and out of this. I missed the original abuse post, which seems to have been removed (good thing), but in general it's been fairly light hearted. PP has just recounted his experience. Good on him! What more can anyone do? Unless he/she has an over inflated opinion of his/herself.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

You said earlier that it wasn't about hifi complaining that I was the person who used the word. As it happens you just use meaningless words to describe what you hear and it's quite clear to me that you know nothing at all about hifi.

I don't think you should be insulted but I do think you are just a blagger.

Chris

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Time out!! Here's something to lighten the mood, and perhaps PP can start saving up for these instead of impulse purchases *acute*

Leema Pulse IV and Stream IV

image.php
image.php

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
tino said:
Time out!! Here's something to lighten the mood, and perhaps PP can start saving up for these instead of impulse purchases *acute*

Leema Pulse IV and Stream IV

+1

Matching hifi looks better and is more satisfying to own because of it. I'd hate to have a rack full of different size/colour boxes from different manufactures. My slight OCD tendencies could never bare it.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
Covenanter said:
plastic penguin said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

You said earlier that it wasn't about hifi complaining that I was the person who used the word. As it happens you just use meaningless words to describe what you hear and it's quite clear to me that you know nothing at all about hifi.

Chris

Stop it! Please.

Covenanter said:
plastic penguin said:
Covenanter said:

Chris

Chris

Wrong! If I'm thinking of the post (can't be bothered to look), when comparing the Electro with the Naim I said something along the lines of the "Naim isn't as 'hi-fiy' sounding as the Electro."

In terms of a "blagger", you are way out of order. How can I be a blagger if I've paid for the item. Just don't get this verbal thumping. Perhaps you should go away and massage your ego a bit more.

matthewpiano

There seems to be some who think that being an 'audiophile' is some sort of exclusive club that only certain people have sufficient understanding to qualify for. If that is the case you can keep it.

Hi-Fi equipment has a purpose and for the majority of people here that purpose is to maximise their enjoyment of music. As we all hear differently, and all have very different acoustic spaces in which to enjoy our music, personal preferences and circumstances are going to come into play and influence the components and combinations thereof that we find suitable.

I've been reading PP's posts for several years and in all that time I've only ever had th eimpression of somebody who loves listening to music, uses it as a way of relaxing and switching off from life's challenges and has an interest in the equipment which maximises that enjoyment. His posts have been as useful and as useless as anybody else's. They have been interesting, and informative about PP's personal listening experiences and where he can he has tried to help others.

Nobody here can provide more than that unless we get caught up in judging through technical specifications and measurements, and therein lies a whole different can of worms and a definite division between two camps which we can never totally bridge.

Now what does annoy me is when people aren't honest about their system. Coming across somebody from the forums elsewhere and seeing them state their set-up quite differently just leads you to mis-trust everything they say. I've come across such a situation in recent weeks and, although I'm not going to get into naming names (it definitely isn't PP or Chris BTW), I do think it serves as a bit of a warning to take what we read in forums such as this with a certain amount of reservation. Certainly, it highlights the importance of listening for yourself, trying different things when the mood takes, and judging on your own preferences and requirements.

Quite often the attitudes of some who appoint themselves 'audiophiles' make me sympathise more and more with the things that Ashley at AVI says.

Now, can we get back to sharing our common interest rather than making out that some are somehow more superior than others?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well said Mathew.

PP has simple described his experiences of the two players. I do not belive he has attempted to say categorically state that one is better than the other, just attempted (the language is always difficult) to describe what he heard.

This, for me is absolutely fine, I find it interesting to read about, of course it is highly subjective and dependent on many other factors so his thoughts can not be taken out of that context.

All in all, I feel it is worthwhile, it gives insight into how an experienced listener evaluates the differences between two very decent players of comparable standard.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This place seems to have lost its mojo......it's no wonder that so many interesting people have left.

PP, you did not deserve the reaction you received from some quarters.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
It is a shame that PP has received such stick for spending his own money as he sees fit. He wanted a CD Player of comparable quality to the one he already owns, but wanted it to be aesthetically pleasing. What's wrong with that?

So he has given it a decent trial and has decided he prefers the sound of his old player, again what's wrong with that? It's his system, his music, his money and his tastes.

I don't see why this categorises him as 'sub audiophile', or 'it isn't hi fi". Hi-Fi is completely subjective, there is no such thing as true high fidelity. You'd have to listen to the original masters in the studio where they were created to hear true high fidelity. Everyone's perception, experience, expectations and room acoustics and personal preference are all very different. PP is obviously experinced enough to know to allow time to evaluate what he was hearing properly and he can hear differences and knows that they were differences rather than improvememts.

If he has taken a financial hit, that is only his concern. If anything he has gained more 'Hi-Fi' experince from this episode.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
There is nothing PP has said or done that donates the need for him to be picked on. Really? Well its a shame people can hide behind the internet & attack people for no resaon what so ever. Even if we don't know him from this forum, there still would be no reason what so ever, or am I missing something..?

Edit: he took a chance yes, many have done... I have in the pass.. so what..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
What a fuss!

Given the ordinary "man tries new CDP, didn't like it and sells it on" nature of the thread, I dread to think how many replies PP will get when he eventually posts his ... "advice on streaming files from a NAS please" thread.

WHF? will have to rent another server!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

Na, you don't deserve aggro.

I think it's the headline followed by your well documented angst about buying something 'blind' and subsequent problems in delivery etc etc plus realisation that the product is not for you.

A thread like this will naturally invite all sorts of comments.

If you want to avoid it just buy silently next time and post your findings in a matter of fact way.

Simples

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Anyone who has no vague idea how the kit we use works, how it's made and has never taken a screwdriver or soldered anything or measured with a multimeter, really should not deal advice to anyone in this hobby. Otherwise they open themselves to criticism and aggravation.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Anyone who has no vague idea how the kit we use works, how it's made and has never taken a screwdriver or soldered anything or measured with a multimeter, really should not deal advice to anyone in this hobby. Otherwise they open themselves to criticism and aggravation.

Quite right.....After all, the enjoyment of music is of little or no importance.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Vladimir said:

So anyone with no mechanical knowledge or experience and has never wielded a spanner shouldn't be able to give their opinions on a car they have owned or driven?

A lack of electrical knowledge doesn't necessarily mean that they can't hear.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
Vladimir said:

So anyone with no mechanical knowledge or experience and has never wielded a spanner shouldn't be able to give their opinions on a car they have owned or driven?

A lack of electrical knowledge doesn't necessarily mean that they can't hear.

It's the Impaler's wind-up night.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts