Oh s@@@! What have I done?

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Having driven a Audi 1.8T Sport cabriolet many times (my brother's car), they really do personify the reputation of German engineering is top notch. The build quality is superb, performance and handling is very good. However, despite of their solidity and craftsmanship, and when compared with a same CC powered Alfa, they really are different. For pure driving experience, even though they have slight iffy build quality, the Alfa is peerless at that price, though it's hard to convey why.

That pretty much sums up the difference between the Electro and Naim. The Electro is every bit as capable, but just lacks that little something... I'm struggling to find what that something is.

Anyway, I've played CD almost constantly since Friday evening (when not earning my corn), and I feel musically drained. I'm going to give music, CDs in particular, a rest until Friday.

If you drive an Alfa that explains a lot! Image rather than quality.

Chris

Covenanter said:
plastic penguin said:
Having driven a Audi 1.8T Sport cabriolet many times (my brother's car), they really do personify the reputation of German engineering is top notch. The build quality is superb, performance and handling is very good. However, despite of their solidity and craftsmanship, and when compared with a same CC powered Alfa, they really are different. For pure driving experience, even though they have slight iffy build quality, the Alfa is peerless at that price, though it's hard to convey why.

That pretty much sums up the difference between the Electro and Naim. The Electro is every bit as capable, but just lacks that little something... I'm struggling to find what that something is.

Anyway, I've played CD almost constantly since Friday evening (when not earning my corn), and I feel musically drained. I'm going to give music, CDs in particular, a rest until Friday.

If you drive an Alfa that explains a lot! Image rather than quality.

Chris

Wrong! Tut, tut...

Alfas are for the connoisseur and not for posing. If you want to pose, buy a Focus ST or an Impreza with tacky gold wheels.

back on topic: The Naim, in the context of my system, just has a scintilla of extra zeal...

I've decided to put the Electro up for sale. Very good CDP but doesn't do quite enough to justify keeping it.
cry_smile.gif

Think What hi-fi summed it up by saying, it's pitched in a hard-fought market place.

stevebrock said:
plastic penguin said:
I've decided to put the Electro up for sale. Very good CDP but doesn't do quite enough to justify keeping it.

Think What hi-fi summed it up by saying, it's pitched in a hard-fought market place.

You fuckwit

Post #1 says you bought it on sale or return and now your selling it!

mmmmmm Youve made a right **** up there PP

( very good cd player??? mmmm so is a Naim, a Rega, a Marantz ) they all sound pretty much the same IMO cos its a ceedee player)

It has been an amusing thread though and at times Ive had to stop my self joining in but it all just sums you up PP

I bet you hate the PMCs really but cant admit it publicly :)

Well if ceedee players all sound the same why did you rave on about the Rega + Dac when you could've kept your Marantz.

Please don't insult me on a public forum just because you don't agree... THE ELECTRO DOESN'T QUITE DO IT FOR ME. Understand?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
no i dont understand !

you said in post 1 it was sale or return

now your selling it

why don't you send it back?

or was it a case of you bought, realised you made a mistake, came on here to post for reassurance first etc etc

make you mind up

sorry i would of joined in the thread but its an nightmare trying to get on here

stevebrock said:
no i dont understand !

you said in post 1 it was sale or return

now your selling it

why don't you send it back?

or was it a case of you bought, realised you made a mistake, came on here to post for reassurance first etc etc

make you mind up

sorry i would of joined in the thread but its an nightmare trying to get on here

Because the unit took over a week from the time I ordered and I only had 14 days to make up my mind. I tried returning it but the dealer isn't accepting the length of time it took to arrive.

Steve, if you ever use foul language again towards me (in the previous post) then I'll put in a complaint. There's no need for that. It's awful.

JamesMellor

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi PP ,

Dont you have texts or emails or voice messages of failed delivery to prove you haven't had it 14 days and that prove failed delivery ? There must be an e-mail of you driving to the depot to collect it .

And of course who's the dealer so we all know if he decided to help you out or not <S>

James

JamesMellor said:
Hi PP ,

Dont you have texts or emails or voice messages of failed delivery to prove you haven't had it 14 days and that prove failed delivery ? There must be an e-mail of you driving to the depot to collect it .

And of course who's the dealer so we all know if he decided to help you out or not <S>

James

Only the tracking number of UPS. I had to contact them via phone... sure they'll still have me on record.

They are a nightmare to deal with under normal circumstances - their customer service centre is so huge that information tends to get *conveniently* misconstrude/lost.

Really don't have the time or patience to go thru that rigmarole again. Just as easy to sell the darn thing.

Pity because isn't half bad player just didn't ring my sonic bell.

matthewpiano said:
Sorry it hasn't worked out PP. It was worth a try anyway, and it is always interesting to hear different equipment.

Cheers Matt. It's good enough for most people. In fact if I heard it in isolation it would be a permanent fixture.

One unit or the other would have to be sold. No way can I afford to hoard two CDPs.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Don't think PP warrants abuse on this issue. Think its a simple case of giving in to an impulse buy. I'm sure we've all been guilty in some shape or form over the years. He took a chance and it could easily have paid off.

I'm sure it'll sell quickly and without a big financial hit, PP. I'd ignore the slight rant that came earlier!
thumbs_up.gif

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Plastic, seeing as we're talking about hundreds of pounds here, you might want to check your legal status on this.

I think that any court would find in your favour as your dealer is acting in an unreasonable manner.

Especially when you consider the price of the thing and the "wine connoisseur" nature of testing it and comparing it against your Naim.

I think, polite but firm assertiveness on your part (before resorting to small claims court action) with the dealer will lead to you returning the CD player for all your money back.

Pedro2 said:
Don't think PP warrants abuse on this issue. Think its a simple case of giving in to an impulse buy. I'm sure we've all been guilty in some shape or form over the years. He took a chance and it could easily have paid off.

I'm sure it'll sell quickly and without a big financial hit, PP. I'd ignore the slight rant that came earlier!

Cheers. Hope it doesn't hang around too long - takes up too much room. Our loft is already stuffed full.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I have no views whatsoever regarding the CD players in question, but I have never, ever read on the WHF forum, someone called what you were called earlier on in this thread. Totally out of order and deserving of an apology.

DIB said:
I have no views whatsoever regarding the CD players in question, but I have never, ever read on the WHF forum, someone called what you were called earlier on in this thread. Totally out of order and deserving of an apology.

Thanks, DIB. Hope it due to too much alcohol. You're right, language such as that is not needed.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Stevebrock, I think you owe plastic penguin a big apology.

That sort of foul abuse has no place on a family friendly forum like this.

Not only that, but plastic has been acting in an entirely logical and rational manner. I would encourage anyone into listening to a lot of music at home to try different components to see if they are better than what they've already got. A lot of the time they will be. Sometimes they won't be. This is one of those times. No big deal. It's only hi-fi.

For sure you raised a valid point, Steve, about taking the CD player back for a full refund. But there was no need for any personal abuse whatsoever.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Plastic Penguin, feel free to email this onto the seller word for word:

A quick bit of googling of "Distance selling regulations" indicate that this case is very clear cut.

1. you picked the goods up on the afternoon of Firday 28th November.

2, you contacted the seller within 7 days of that date, indicating you didn't wish to keep the goods. We've only just hit that 7 day period this afternoon. And it would be reasonable to allow a few hours for you to travel home with it last Friday. South London traffic and all that.

3. It was a distance sale, done over the phone, or via email or via the internet. It certainly wasn't a demo and take home from the shop purchase.

4. The goods are durable and reusable. They are not flowers, or fruit, or underwear, or CD's or aoftware with a seal on them.

Therefore under the Consumer Contracts Regulations that came into force on 13 June 2014, the seller must now give you a full refund. Failure to do so means that he is acting illegally.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
What has happened to the mods on this forum... how was such abusive language allowed to be unedited... can this forum decline any further?!

Uncalled for and totally unacceptable.

You may be a numpty PP but you don't deserve that... I would post a smiley there but I can't.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Offensive post reported, not that I think that achieves much. That would have been at least a week's ban a few years ago, possibly total ejection if AE had been in the mood.

Ill advised not to communicate with the seller about the delay or get the CDP back within the 14 days given your early views. However, 'delivery' time should be easily established using a tracking number online. There seems to be force in Lindsay's argument. Last resort, threaten to name and shame on here, no one reading this would ever use them.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Plastic penguins posts on this thread would be evidence that a court would take notice of.

And why should the onus be on him to prove when he took delivery / collected the goods from the depot?

It's down to the seller to prove that plastic didn't collect the CD player when he said he did. If the seller doesn't have the proper records to indicate when delivery was actually made, they shouldn't be in the distance selling game. Not if they ever want to challenge a return, that is.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Plastic penguins posts on this thread would be evidence that a court would take notice of.

And why should the onus be on him to prove when he took delivery / collected the goods from the depot?

It's down to the seller to prove that plastic didn't collect the CD player when he said he did. If the seller doesn't have the proper records to indicate when delivery was actually made, they shouldn't be in the distance selling game. Not if they ever want to challenge a return, that is.

That's not how the burden of proof works, but his contract is in fact a 14 day sale or return, so that shouldn't take much effort and I agree this thread is good evidence.

TRENDING THREADS