Oh s@@@! What have I done?

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
CnoEvil said:
MeanandGreen said:
Vladimir said:
Anyone who has no vague idea how the kit we use works, how it's made and has never taken a screwdriver or soldered anything or measured with a multimeter, really should not deal advice to anyone in this hobby. Otherwise they open themselves to criticism and aggravation.

So anyone with no mechanical knowledge or experience and has never wielded a spanner shouldn't be able to give their opinions on a car they have owned or driven?

A lack of electrical knowledge doesn't necessarily mean that they can't hear.

It's the Impaler's wind-up night.

They tend to be suckers.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
If your system sounds unique to you and in your circumstances, you can only share a personal preference with someone. But it cannot serve as an advice since it is purely subjective to you and only you. It is useless to others since it is not based on any objective merits (something common to all of us). If I compared two CDPs in my system, in my room, with my music, to my taste, at that state of my metabolism and state of mind. Tomorrow the same setup may sound slightly differently. No one can prove or disprove if what you hear is real, imaginery or intentionally made up.

I had situations where 4 of us sit on the same couch and we disagree radically about the system playing in front of us. Different tastes, different hearing, seating position etc. Hearing is believing, but not knowing.

That said, PP hasn't posted this thread like a full blown official review that can serve as a lighthouse for future audiophiles seeking advice. It's more of a diary blob about some shopping that went bad. At least the guy was honest, I think. Others obviously disagree. *unknw*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Quite right.....After all, the enjoyment of music is of little or no importance.

IMO one does not need audiophile kit to enjoy music. Mono sound playing 192kHz mp3 through a speaker smaller than a fingernail still does it for me when nothing else is available. castle... memories forever to enjoy. You can only remember actual aural characteristics no longer than 7 seconds. So who cares...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Quite right.....After all, the enjoyment of music is of little or no importance.

IMO one does not need audiophile kit to enjoy music. Mono sound playing 192kHz mp3 through a speaker smaller than a fingernail still does it for me when nothing else is available. castle... memories forever to enjoy. You can only remember actual aural characteristics no longer than 7 seconds. So who cares...

I think that once WHF come to terms with this revelation, they will close the forum, due to lack of relevance. *smile*

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
One thing it does seem to prove to me is that the belief that all CD players sound the same, is clearly untrue. There is still value in more expensive CD players and the different soundstage that they produce is vitally important to the discerning listener, albeit sometimes subtle. These differences become more acute the longer you own the device and can lead to a lot of long term annoyance and disappointment. I found this with my Densen CD player, which although I kept for a couple of years I always found it very tiring to listen to, mostly because of its over forward, harsh presentation (and yes I did audition it first and yes I have been listening/buying HIFI for years). I for one however, will always stick to the CD medium as it offers the best compromise between availability of new classical releases and sound quality.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:

I think that once WHF come to terms with this revelation, they will close the forum, due to lack of relevance. *smile*

Or sell you a soundbar as Hi-Fi.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:

Or sell you a soundbar as Hi-Fi.

Are WHF good value for soundbars?

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Vladimir said:
IMO one does not need audiophile kit to enjoy music. Mono sound playing 192kHz mp3 through a speaker smaller than a fingernail still does it for me when nothing else is available.

+1

The X-Mini II has given me more music enjoyment than any proper hifi system ever has. That's not to say that I don't prefer good sound quality though.

Vladimir said:
Manu Chao

I like that.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
catbored.jpg

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Anyone who has no vague idea how the kit we use works, how it's made and has never taken a screwdriver or soldered anything or measured with a multimeter, really should not deal advice to anyone in this hobby. Otherwise they open themselves to criticism and aggravation.
Thats the very reason why I dnt like giving advice. Course sometimes it takes me along time to put a system together for my ears not to say for some one elses. I just use my ears to tune how I want it to sound. Simples!!

Think Vlad and a couple of others really have shown their true colours - they hide behind a wall of specs and hearsay.

This was not a review or advice, but if it could help one or two that's the cherry on the cake.

The Electro is back in the box *has been for a couple of days*, and after spending the day at Brighton, Vlad and Coventry Chris should become a double act: Punch and Judy.

Meantime, I'm going to sit and watch them make complete idiots of themselves.

My job is over...

EDIT - If you think I'm out of order, that's cat dribble compared to some of the rubbish I've been hit with.

Couldn't be attacked more if I'd put someone's wellbeing in peril. If that's the word of audiophiles, I don't wanna be part of it. What next? Black uniform and goosestepping?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Thats the very reason why I dnt like giving advice. Course sometimes it takes me along time to put a system together for my ears not to say for some one elses. I just use my ears to tune how I want it to sound. Simples!!

Generally when advice is given on here, it is only meant to be ideas for a demo list....the person asking can then take it, or leave it.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Sorry double post

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

Generally when advice is given on here, it is only meant to be ideas for a demo list....the person asking can then take it, or leave it.
True. Thats fair enough

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Native_bon said:

Also known as Trial & Error approach on things. Systematic and methodical approach will give you better sound for less money sooner than T&E.

You can 1) keep changing gear for decades, or 2) buy a 20$ microphone and measure your room for room modes and implement acoustic treatment, or apply DSP or even just reposition your speakers to the best possible scenario measured. Which one is more simples?

I've done and will do a lot of trial and error simply because I am lazy. But that doesn't mean I despise those that are smarter and more agile in getting better sound.

TRENDING THREADS