Oh s@@@! What have I done?

Earlier today I ordered a Electrocompaniet PC-1 CD player. Yet again, another component ordered on a whim. It was around this time last year I purchased PMCs without a dem -- and got away with it. Superb. This goes against my purchasing philosophy

After a quick confabulation with Mrs. P (she looked at me as if I'd just kidnapped a hamster), I just pressed a button and ordered one on sale or return basis.

Should receive it early next week. Fingers crossed.

iceman16

Looking forward to your thoughts PP..
thumbs_up.gif
Is it the silver one to match the Leema?

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Lottery win PP? It will have to be good to beat your Naim.

I must admit I've been struggling these last few weeks to keep my Buy Now finger in check, but it's hard.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure it will be fine. EC hasn't made a bad component yet. *ok*

Worst case scenario it will need some carefull experimentation with CDP positioning.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

relocated said:
We will have to put you on the 'naughty step' with Gel.

I think Gel owns the naughty step..................along with 2 leather jackets, 3 wallets, all of Apple's electronic output (ever), at least 2 blu ray players etc etc etc

D

Deleted member 2457

relocated said:
We will have to put you on the 'naughty step' with Gel. Impulse buys - very naughty penguin.
*biggrin*

D

Deleted member 2457

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
relocated said:

I think Gel owns the naughty step..................along with 2 leather jackets, 3 wallets, all of Apple's electronic output (ever), at least 2 blu ray players etc etc etc
*biggrin*

DIB said:
Lottery win PP? It will have to be good to beat your Naim.

I wished.

If it is good I can get almost the amount for the Naim as I paid for the Electro. So no big hardship in that area.

For some reason, since clicking that button, I've had the overwhelming feeling of apprehension; this is something alien to me.

Back to standing in the corner with my hands on my head.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Nice one PP.

I know it's different models, but I knew as soon as I heard the EMC1UP it was the one to replace my Naim CDX2.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

CnoEvil said:
FWIW. Initially, I think you will find the the Electro not as up front and exciting as the Naim....it's not an "instant impact" sort of product. It's talents take a while to appreciate, so don't be too quick to judge ie. give it a week with as wide a variety of music as you have in your collection.

Though saying all that, don't be swayed by the "newness factor", which can give a misleading euphoria.

You know this already, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

I'm well strapped in for the difference.

I'll be perfectly honest: You and Electro have, in a strange sort of way, influenced in my punt. Really hate saying this because it puts more pressure on me (and you guys), given I'm usually a 'dem-first or you're beelzebub' sort of person. That's just an honest appraisal on ME.

If it is slightly laid back as reviews have pointed to, I won't complain. Love Arcam which is pretty similar in that respect but...

I know the Rega brigade will no doubt suggest 'Apollo-R is the greatest thing since sliced bread', but in the context of my set-up the Naim pretty much ticks all the boxes. If only it didn't look so hideous with the rest of my kit.

Hey-ho.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I'll be perfectly honest: You and Electro have, in a strange sort of way, influenced in my punt. Really hate saying this because it puts more pressure on me (and you guys), given I'm usually a 'dem-first or you're beelzebub' sort of person. That's just an honest appraisal on ME.

If it is slightly laid back as reviews have pointed to, I won't complain. Love Arcam which is pretty similar in that respect but...

I know the Rega brigade will no doubt suggest 'Apollo-R is the greatest thing since sliced bread', but in the context of my set-up the Naim pretty much ticks all the boxes. If only it didn't look so hideous with the rest of my kit.

Hey-ho.

IMO. The Electro is only a little laid back in comparison with the Naim....I would describe it as a little more natural....I find Naim smacks me across the face with its musical presentation, wheras the Electro caresses.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

Hey-ho.

IMO. The Electro is only a little laid back in comparison with the Naim....I would describe it as a little more natural....I find Naim smacks me across the face with its musical presentation, wheras the Electro caresses.

The caressing sounds good. Not sure about a smack around the chops.

Personally, I don't find the CD5i that upfront or aggressive -- if it was it would've gone yonks ago. I really don't do aggression. What it does acheive is more expression, a broader soundstage and better dynamics to the Arcam... but the 73T was the entry-level model. The Leema excels in those depts, while keeping a believable presentation. On paper, and according to reviews, leema and Naim shouldn't work, but allied to the TB2s it is totally sublime for the money.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
One person's "too upfront" is another person's "fun and dynamic".

Given how much you like your system, it's a big ask for the Electro to improve on it.....but we'll see.

CnoEvil said:
One person's "too upfront" is another person's "fun and dynamic".

Given how much you like your system, it's a big ask for the Electro to improve on it.....but we'll see.

That's the odd thing - don't necessarily want the Electro to sound better, although it would be the icing on the cake. If it equals the overall SQ of the Naim, with just the slightest sonic massage, I'll be a happy Pengu. So, in a word, I'm spending this money, in the main, on the aestheics.

This is why I'm questioning my own integrity. Strange bird.

Unlike Naim amps of a few years ago (and I've been mega critical in the past), the cdp has a more person-friendly approach to music.

(Nurse! Where's straight jacket?)

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Nice one PP I really like the look and the brand and has a class A output stage, I think it's the analog stage that makes the most difference certainly the most difficult are to get right. I may sell the Sugden to buy some Harbeths probably get a Electro ECI-3.

boggit said:
Nice one PP I really like the look and the brand and has a class A output stage, I think it's the analog stage that makes the most difference certainly the most difficult are to get right. I may sell the Sugden to buy some Harbeths probably get a Electro ECI-3.

Why sell the Sugden? It's the slippery path...

I would guess the Electro EC1-3 and your Sugden is pretty much like-for-like.

That said, my above comments could be b******s.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
relocated said:

*biggrin*

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
"For some reason, since clicking that button, I've had the overwhelming feeling of apprehension; this is something alien to me".

'Buyers remorse' is a well known phenomena. I'm sure it will quickly pass once you get your hands on it and it's massaging your ears; and excellent taste [of course].

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
FWIW. Initially, I think you will find the Electro not as up front and exciting as the Naim....it's not an "instant impact" sort of product. It's talents take a while to appreciate, so don't be too quick to judge ie. give it a week with as wide a variety of music as you have in your collection.

Though saying all that, don't be swayed by the "newness factor", which can give a misleading euphoria.

You know this already, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:

Why sell the Sugden? It's the slippery path...

I would guess the Electro EC1-3 and your Sugden is pretty much like-for-like.

That said, my above comments could be b******s.

Congrats on your new purchace PP *good* I ook forward to you review .

Boggit is right one of the main reasons the Electro Cd players sound so good is the discrete class A analogue output stage .

The Electro ECI3 and Sugden can sound quite similar with simple well recorded music at lower spl's but when the music gets loud, complex and dynamic the Electro is in a different league IMO , it can separate and layer very dense and complex music even at high spl's with total control .

If you push the Sugden even just a little bit to far the sound collapses quite spectacularly in my experience . The Sugden is a lovely amp as long as you choose the right speakers and are careful with the volume control , the Electro will drive almost any speaker and always sounds in control but still retains that class A delicacy.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts