Oh s@@@! What have I done?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I could get a used ECI-3 for £600 alowing me to buy (political harmony) some harbeth's that are currently on eBay only a few weeks old. Interesting comment Electro on the volume.

boggit said:
I could get a used ECI-3 for £600 alowing me to buy (political harmony) some harbeth's that are currently on eBay only a few weeks old. Interesting comment Electro on the volume.

At that price I would check to see how old it is.

Just a thought: As you liked the Leema so much how about a Tucana? I've seen them for sale for about £1200 or so.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
boggit said:

Or you could buy one of these brand new for just over £500 *smile*

http://www.store.abrahamsenaudio.no/

v2_2_zps72812e61.jpg

I am currently trying to persuade a friend of mine to buy one of these along with the V10 Cd player , he also already owns a pair of PMC DB1i's so I might be able to post a review in the near future if my persuasive powers are up to scratch *biggrin*

Have to say the anxiety is starting to drain away. The closer it's getting to delivery the more relaxed I'm feeling.

One thing that gives me the pip with Electrocompaniet (or the reviews, anyway), is they nearly always mention, saying, "Electrocompaniet is renowned for it's high-end equipment, but the PC1 is designed to reach a wider market blah, blah..." (or something along those lines.)

How can they reach a wider market when they still have limited outlets in the UK? Crazy.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
...Yet again, another component ordered on a whim. It was around this time last year I purchased PMCs without a dem -- and got away with it. Superb. This goes against my purchasing philosophy...

Generally the hifi stuff that I've researched and bought blind are the ones that I've been the most satisfied with and the stuff that I've auditioned first are the ones that I've been the least satisfied with in the long term. Go figure.

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
...Yet again, another component ordered on a whim. It was around this time last year I purchased PMCs without a dem -- and got away with it. Superb. This goes against my purchasing philosophy...

Generally the hifi stuff that I've researched and bought blind are the ones that I've been the most satisfied with and the stuff that I've auditioned first are the ones that I've been the least satisfied with in the long term. Go figure.

Understand what you mean, but mixing 'n' matching different brands and buying blind is always a risk. That said, the main advantage of blind purchases is you have to hear it in your own environment, whereas a shop dem it's easy just to walk away.

I suppose this is where active or powered speakers have the advantage: The built-in amp and drivers are perfectly matched, and as such, synergy isn't an issue.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

Understand what you mean, but mixing 'n' matching different brands and buying blind is always a risk. That said, the main advantage of blind purchases is you have to hear it in your own environment, whereas a shop dem it's easy just to walk away.

I suppose this is where active or powered speakers have the advantage: The built-in amp and drivers are perfectly matched, and as such, synergy isn't an issue.

Yeah I can see the risk with the mixing and matching blind route. But then that's is all part of the fun with this 'hobby'. Personally my HiFi systems are just the most effective means to an end - the music played as clearly as possible which for me maximises my listening pleasure. Hence the audibly transparent source with active speakers route.

That said if I had money to burn I would like to get a record player and valve pre-amp just for HiFi hobby kicks. They look like fun (and IMO the distorted sound they produce is rather pleasant in a wacky sort of way). A bit of auditioning and mixing and matching to get the right 'flavour' of sound. :D

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

That said if I had money to burn I would like to get a record player and valve pre-amp just for HiFi hobby kicks. They look like fun (and IMO the distorted sound they produce is rather pleasant in a wacky sort of way). A bit of auditioning and mixing and matching to get the right 'flavour' of sound. :D

That's a pity. You were doing well up and until this point. Whether it was said in jest or not, can't help but to stick the knife in.

Well if my TT produces a distorted sound, long live distortion. I love my budget Pro-ject.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
PP hopefully it's beacuse they sell direct the specs around the PSU look good and it weighs 16kg I'm really tempted again it would certainly release sum speaker funds or I could just buy another Pulse.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:
Electro I have been really tempted by the Abrahamson before I bought the Sugden a real user review would really useful !

Mmm... this the problem I have with cheaper Electro (Abrahamson): It is affordable, but what are the compromises?

It will be a few weeks probably after Christmas before I will be able to do a review as long as my friend can be persuaded to part with his money *smile*

The are as far as I know no compromises in sound quality or build quality , Per Abrahamsen is just clearing out the old stock to make way for the new products hence the low price .

Per Abrahamsen describes the performance of the the V2.0 as somewhere in between the Electro Eci3 and Eci5 !

The older V series can be upgraded to UP spec including a bigger power supply and a different display a new remote control and the circuit is changed to allow higher class A bias which is an higher cost option when ordering .

Scroll down to see upgrade prices .

http://abrahamsenaudio.no/

The V2.0 upgrade is about £240

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

That's a pity. You were doing well up and until this point. Whether it was said in jest or not, can't help but to stick the knife in.

Well if my TT produces a distorted sound, long live distortion. I love my budget Pro-ject.

No it wasn't talking the P*** it was a serious comment.* Sorry if it came across as sticking the knife in but I really would like to have a record player and valve amp. :)

Maybe the word 'distortion' has a too negative attachment. But I do genuinely like the warm 'coloured' sound that they produce and I would occasionally enjoy all the messing around with records from time to time. Personally I'd prefer a Technics 1200 over a Rega or Project though.

*It's easy for things to look bad when written in a forum as there is no tone of voice or body language to help convey the true message. Hope the new CD player works out ok too. :)

steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:
steve_1979 said:
plastic penguin said:

No it wasn't talking the P*** it was a serious comment.* Sorry if it came across as sticking the knife in but I really would like to have a record player and valve amp. :)

Maybe the word 'distortion' has a too negative attachment. But I do genuinely like the warm 'coloured' sound that they produce and I would occasionally enjoy all the messing around with records from time to time. Personally I'd prefer a Technics 1200 over a Rega or Project though.

*It's easy for things to look bad when written in a forum as there is no tone of voice or body language to help convey the true message. Hope the new CD player works out ok too. :)

To my ears the Pro-ject is not warm or coloured in the strictest sense, especially when the ClearAudio cart was fitted.(although I haven't heard any audible distortion since the days of home-made turntables with a cart stuck in with plasticine).

Nor do you need to spend fortunes on a turntable to get excellent results. I would say my £200 TT has a better SQ than a £500 CDP, in terms of timing, tempo and how you gravitate towards the music. It really is a music-first device. The only major gripe is the fact the cart is low MVs, and thus you have crank the volume up quite consierably.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
No problem with the Sugden just not a big enough improvement for the money, I can release £1500 for speakers prob Harbeth's and a amp.

i love the look feel and build quality

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
To my ears the Pro-ject is not warm or coloured in the strictest sense, especially when the ClearAudio cart was fitted.(although I haven't heard any audible distortion since the days of home-made turntables with a cart stuck in with plasticine).

Nor do you need to spend fortunes on a turntable to get excellent results. I would say my £200 TT has a better SQ than a £500 CDP, in terms of timing, tempo and how you gravitate towards the music. It really is a music-first device. The only major gripe is the fact the cart is low MVs, and thus you have crank the volume up quite consierably.

I wish I had your golden ears PP. My tin ears can hear distortion, wow, flutter, noise, pops, clicks, channel imbalance and monobass. And that was with a turntable several classes better than the Pro-Ject you have. *pardon*

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
boggit said:
No problem with the Sugden just not a big enough improvement for the money, I can release £1500 for speakers prob Harbeth's and a amp.

i love the look feel and build quality

That'll teach you to listen to people like me. *dance4*

More seriously, though, get yourself a pair of TB2is and a Electrocompaniet.
You took the words right out of my head *biggrin*

Or an Abrahamsen *good*

Quick update:

The carrier could not give a specific time, so expected between 8am and 6pm. I had to make a couple of local deliveries, and guess what?

When I got back a nice little reminder had been left in the letterbox. Phoned them up and they'll deliver tomorrow. Blimey I was only out for half an hour.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts