Off topic question for Andrew Everard

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andrew I am looking to buy a SLR digital camera with 5 mega Pixels as a minimum and I would like to keep the price as low as poss (£600-£800) As you are a profession photographer, I hope that you could advise me! as I know nothing about them. regards

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Far from professional photographer, and the last time I tested cameras darkrooms and enlargers were involved. I suggest you ask the forums over at our co-conspirators Stuff - the same log-in you use here should get you in there. They test a lot of cameras and should be able to give you a steer.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
And there's me thinking he'd gone home to sleep (though judging by some of his excellent late-night Forum posting, maybe not.)

Here's an answer from my husband, who is a full-time snapper (hence flattering photo of yours truly):
"I recommend the Canon 400d, advantages are: Great image quality, Self cleaning sensor, the unique Canon built CMOS sensor gives lower background noise at high ISO speeds than other designs,ÿespecially when you turn the sensitivity up in low light conditions.ÿ Plus great for upgrading from as it has systemÿcompatibly right up to the 5k 1ds."

It's a 10 megapixel design, and is yours for around £500. More at: Canon's website.

A

Anonymous

At last something I actually know about (ish). 10MP is the standard in the budget SLR's and of these I would concur that the Canon 400D is the best all-rounder and value for money. If you hunt or bargain hard I reckon you could get one for £450. alternately the 8MP model it replaces, the all conquering 350D can be had at a stock clearing price which would give you money for a decent (Canon) lens - but lenses are a whole different story...

Also consider Nikon D50 or the new Pentax (think it's a 110) but don't bother with Samsung/Sony Alpha as they may produce decent camera bodies but lenses will be pants. Oh and Olympus sport a very compact SLR at 8-10 MP but watch out if you have spade hands and sausage fingers!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thanks you very much Andrew, Crimson, and Clare's lucky husband! My holiday is comming up so it's would be nice to capture a good memories in digital format! (I thought Andrew started off his career as a professional snapper, sorry!) PS. Are you really a washing machine expert??? if so which one.....lol

A

Anonymous

If you think that 5 mega pixels is enough for you, I would recommend the nikon d40 kit (6 mega pixels). 6 mega pixels is certainly good enough for me because I do not have any need to develop some large prints. It is currently on promotion by Nikon which gives you 60 pounds cash back. It is a fantastic camera with great building quality (definitely no cheap plastic feeling) and the quality of the included lens is generally better than the ones that are included in other entry level SLR kit.

Only problem with the camera is that if you want to upgrade lens in the future you have to buy the lenses with the auto focus motor inside as it is not on the camera itself.

But after cash back, you can probably get the kit at as cheap as 250 pounds, almost as the price of a normal lens. (note: offer ends on 31 aug)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Thank you mate, nice to have choices. I only have a point and shoot camera at the moment! I suppose all SLR come with auto Focus while I learning my way round the zoom bit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts