OFC speaker cable thickness

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
ReneTS said:
Hi

Does it matter if I buy it in 0.75, 1.50 or 2.50mm2 thickness? Will I be able to hear any difference?

Hi ReneTS,

In my experience the thicker cables should provide a slightly bassier sound - 2.5mm2 would be my choice of those listed, try to buy a decent brand, such as Van Damme, QED etc. any well constructed cable will be fine and won't cost the earth and the difference in sound quality between brands will be very small.

Cheers

The_Master

the_master66

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
I have yet to see poorely constructed speaker cable.

I have seen some terrible cables, awful insulation that hardens and cracks over time plus copper that corrodes badly inside the cable, badly soldered joints etc. - that why I suggested sticking to mainstream brands......just to avoid basic electrical issues and maintain safety.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Shamelessly "borrowed" from Cambridge Audio's website:

Cable-blog-table-848x771.jpg

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The thickness that you use depend of the length of the cable and the amount of power you need to transmit. For a 3m cable transmitting 40W, 1.5mm2 will probably be enough. 2.5mm2 will probably work too and you will be sure it will be enough dimentionned, even for higher powers.

When you have enough cross section, you will not be able to hear some differences between "more section" and "enough" section. But please be aware that the volume will raise tinily between every higher sections.

ReneTS

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the help. It is a no name brand I am planning to buy, as I need 25m in all. That gets very expensive with the known brands. Though I can get some Audioquest FLX-SLIP 16/4 at half price, it is still twice as expensive as a no name cable. So I think I will at least try the cheap one at 1.5mm2 first, and see how it goes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts