I've just upgraded (or rather switched) from a NAD 320BEE + C542 to an Arcam Solo (2005 model). They're both connected to Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 speakers.

Although I haven't listened to the previous set up in a long while (just been using a Denon DF 101 system due to space constraints), I'm really not liking the new Arcam Solo. It's hard to compare though because I've sold the Nad amp now but to me it sounds inferior in just about everyway, particularly the bass which isn't as tuneful and bass drum sounds boomy.

I've just been listening to Kings of Leon and Coldplay thus far.

I wonder if the sound will improve if it's not being used recently (I bought it on ebay).

Also the stupid thing's skipping now. Fed up. Just going to send it back. :(

Oops, my mistake, it was the CD that's got marks ton it. It's doing the same thing on the Nad CD player. What are those anyway? It's almost like they dye in the disk has smudged and fogged over?

I still till would like to know all your opinions on how the two setups should sound in comparison.

Thanks a lot.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
bigfish786 said:
Personally, I would have stuck with the Nad separates . And buying off eBay has its own risks too. It's an often used place by people getting rid of unwanted crap.

Are you saying that due to bad experience? I've done jolly well out of Ebay, buying and selling. If you refer to the recent thread about upgradeitis, you'll realise that many people sell perfectly good and quite new gear at considerable loss just to get the latest year's model. There's a particular forum member (poor chap) who comes to mind. There are genuine bargains to be had if you know what you're looking for, and looking at. And with a little experience, you can identify sellers who are just shifting boxes they don't understand compared with genuine enthusiasts who have taken care of their hifi and when you buy from them almost feel like they're giving their favourite family pet! Some buyers and sellers I've met have been really pleasant people to deal with.

As for moving from NAD to Arcam, a hugely over-simplified argument will tell you that all-in-ones will struggle against separates and although there are exceptions, in general it's true. I heard an Arcam Solo recently trying (& failing miserably) to drive some KEF R300's. It was never going to work.

Having said that, it does also take some time for you to adjust to a different musical presentation. Give the thing a bit of a chance. Try some different kinds of music and listen well: try to identify things in the music that your NAD didn't spot. It's unfair to compare the weaknesses of one system against the strengths of another.

David Smith said:
I still till would like to know all your opinions on how the two setups should sound in comparison.

Thanks a lot.

I've heard a number of budget Nads and heard the original Solo. Personally speaking Nads are too bass heavy for my taste, and IMHO lacked transparency. By contrast, the DIVA range of Arcams are very open and airy sounding. Arcam, although not as warm as Nad, have a lovely silky midrange that I've not heard on any system within the sub-£1000 range.

IMO Nad are more powerful than the equivalent Arcam, but for my tastes that isn't an issue.

When I first had an Arcam amp it paired well with Wharfedale but is bettered by Monitor Audio and Focal range of speakers.

The Solo's power plant of 2005 (IIRC) was still the A65+ amp - IMO is one of the finest integrated amps below the £1000 mark in terms of VFM

As always, we all hear different things, and Arcam really tugs my rug.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The Solo's power plant of 2005 (IIRC) was still the A65+ amp - IMO is one of the finest integrated amps below the £1000 mark in terms of VFM

The Arcam Solo Musc (original) used the same LM3886 amplifier module as their subsequent A18 and A19 amplifiers (and my Quad Vena and some other makes and models).

The A65+ had a completely different design.

We've been down this road before and Arcam's own documentation supports the use of the LM3886 power amp modules in their original Solo Music...

http://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/solomusic/Service%20Manual/Solo%20service%20guide%20V2.PDF

... and discrete Sanken transistors in their A65+ ...

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,diva-a65-plus-integrated-amplifier.htm

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

The Arcam Solo Musc (original) used the same LM3886 amplifier module as their subsequent A18 and A19 amplifiers (and my Quad Vena and some other makes and models).

We've been down this road before and Arcam's own documentation supports the use of the LM3886 power amp modules in their original Solo Music...

http://www.arcam.co.uk/ugc/tor/solomusic/Service%20Manual/Solo%20service%20guide%20V2.PDF

If it's the 2005 model the OP has then it'll either be the A65+ or A70 amplifier.

I know that in January 2006 same make tests WHFI tested the A70 + CD73T + PMC DB1+.

I don't think the A18 was introduced until 2008.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

If it's the 2005 model the OP has then it'll either be the A65+ or A70 amplifier.

I know that in January 2006 same make tests WHFI tested the A70 + CD73T + PMC DB1+.

I don't know why you hold on to misinformation that - you admit yourself - came from a rep (!) in the face of Arcam itself.

And why are we dragging in the A70? I'm just querying your assertion that the A65+ and the Solo Music shared the same amplifier. They didn't.

The relevance of the A18 (whenever it was first made) is that the old Solo Music (and the Solo Neo too) share their power amplifier stage with it and NOT with the A65+.

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

I don't know why you hold on to misinformation that - you admit yourself - came from a rep (!) in the face of Arcam itself.

And why are we dragging in the A70? I'm just querying your assertion that the A65+ and the Solo Music shared the same amplifier. They didn't.

The relevance of the A18 (whenever it was first made) is that the old Solo Music (and the Solo Neo too) share their power amplifier stage with it and NOT with the A65+.

No misinformation. The A70 replaced the A65, A75 and A80. WHFI first reviewed it in December 2005, against Cyrus 6VS2. Then the following month (Jan 2006) WHFI had a all one make test of the A70.

Then some 18 to 24 months later Arcam discontinued the DIVA range altogether, hence the emergence of the FMJ A18. However, WHFI never reviewed the model for a couple of years after the A18 was released. A year or so later the A19 was released.

The only rep I've spoken to was at WHFI show - the last at Hanmmersmith, London circa 2007.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Correction: Just looked in the July 2007 and the A70 had its 'First Test' in December 2006. The all one make was done in January 2007.

What has that to do with your incorrect assertion that the Solo shared it's amplifier with that of the A65+ ?

chebby said:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/upgrade-arcam-solo

... wrong then, wrong now.

plastic penguin said:
This is what an Arcam rep once told me, at least, so take it up with them.

Well, you can get all hot under the collar, I'm just giving you the 'Timeline' of the respective models. Why would they put a A18 designed plant in a 2005 model when they A18 hadn't been designed or released?

Pretty sure you are right as regards the first 'Neo' models....

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Correction: Just looked in the July 2007 and the A70 had its 'First Test' in December 2006. The all one make was done in January 2007.

What has that to do with your incorrect assertion that the Solo shared it's amplifier with that of the A65+ ?

Clearly you have a gripe. Go and bollock Arcam for giving out false info. Don't take it out on the messenger.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/upgrade-arcam-solo

... wrong then, wrong now.

plastic penguin said:
This is what an Arcam rep once told me, at least, so take it up with them.

Well, you can get all hot under the collar, I'm just giving you the 'Timeline' of the respective models. Why would they put a A18 designed plant in a 2005 model when they A18 hadn't been designed or released?

Pretty sure you are right as regards the first 'Neo' models....

Because the LM3886 power amp modules are bought in from TI (or National originally). They are not made by Arcam or designed by them...

http://www.ti.com/product/LM3886

They also pre-date the gear we are debating so could have been used regardless of where Arcam's development was regarding the Solo, Diva or FMJ ranges.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Clearly you have a gripe. Go and bollock Arcam for giving out false info. Don't take it out on the messenger.

Arcam have been pretty clear on the matter where documentation exists. Only you have perpetuated something, picked up from a rep, that suits your (incorrect) advice.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
I'll phone Arcam on Monday. If I'm wrong I'll come back on here and hold my hands up. If I'm right I'll come back and let you know.

Their senior engineer's e-mail and phone number is at the bottom of one of those Arcam links I provided.

He was still with Arcam the last time I looked. He is called Andy Moore and I think he knows his stuff (if only you'd read his service document) :)

Arcam have already clarified this matter but you won't acknowledge what they've printed and prefer the apocryphal word of some rep. half remembered (you said "IIRC") from 2007 was it?

matthewpiano

Going back to attempting to be useful to the OP...

The NAD is a punchy little amp, with strong current delivery that will control reasonably price-appropriate speakers well. Arcam amplification of that period had many good points, including a natural, organic quality to the sound. In terms of the hi-fi stuff like imaging, seperation, tonal consistency across the frequency range etc. Arcam were more on the money, but if the NAD sound pulls you into the music and the Arcam doesn't, you know what to do.

However, at the same time, do also be aware that rose tinted spectacles can jump into position quite quickly after you've parted with something and replaced it. It is quite easy to get carried away with the things you perceive a new piece of kit does better, but then focus on the things you perceive to be weaker. It's why quite a few people (including me) have ended up in sideways box-swapping mode for periods of time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts