Upgrade options from an Arcam Solo Mini

Tomle

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
I've got an Arcam Solo Mini running some Tannoy Precision 6.1 speakers.

There's a disinct lack of punch on the lower end, and a feeling that the 25 watts isn't enough to drive the speakers as well as they could be driven. For example the electric bass on a Herbie Hancock album just lacks the snap and pop that I hear on my headphones and in the car. I love everything else about my sound.

My thoughts have gone to using the pre-out connection from the Solo Mini to either loop out into an additional amp:

- Naim NAP100 power amplifier
- Rega Brio R

OR a subwoofer, but I've never had one so wouldn't know where to start.

Budget is about £600 (I'd buy the Naim on the bay)

Thoughts?

I'd say go for it with the nap100...it should be fantastic and if it's not for you....you'll have no trouble moving it on.....and if it is for you...well that could be the beginning of a interesting audio journey.lol....the little nap should do a fine job on those tannoys..taking the sound quality up a notch or two.

Tomle

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
If I did go for the NAP100, would the pre-outs from the Arcam Solo Mini completely bypass any 'sound-creating' elements of the latter's amp? i.e. Will I be using the NAP as the amp to all intents and purposes.

Or will the signal be going through one amp into the other? My concern is the perceived negatives of too many obstructions to the signal path. Or I could just be being gullible!

You make a good point. If I bought an NAP100 I could probably sell it again for the same price.

Alternatively would a Tannoy sub be a better solution (keeping in mind it's the bass presentation that's the issue)?

If using the pre outs from the solo...then the power amp section in the solo will become redundant...therfore the solo becomes a pre amp only.....it just depends on how good the pre amp section is in the solo......

I don't believe a subwoofer will be the answer in your case...if it's the snap of a snare drum for example....that's in the mid upper bass region and a sub won't be of any consequence in this area......I reckon the amp section in the solo isn't controlling the speakers to their optimum potential.....so I think the external amplification might be the answer you're looking for.

Tomle

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but the reason I've got the Solo Mini (and Project Genie) is due to space restrictions. Luckily the NAP100 and the Rega are shoebox too.

One day I'll get back to real size!

Tomle

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Very good point. A cheap sub will probably just be woof.

The Arcam is fundamentally a very good piece of kit (replaced and, in some areas, improved on a Marantz CD7300 and NAD C370).

The only other reason I thought of the Rega Brio was that it could provide an upgrade path (get the Apollo CD player a bit later).

As always the answer is to listen, if I can get home demos.

On another note, the Project Genie and NAD PP3 combo is an area I think could be improved. It replaced a Technics 1200, and is very 'polite' in comparison. Would you know whether a Project phono stage is a worthwhile experiment? Or the pricey Arcam rPhono?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Tomle said:
Very good point. A cheap sub will probably just be woof.

The Arcam is fundamentally a very good piece of kit (replaced and, in some areas, improved on a Marantz CD7300 and NAD C370).

The only other reason I thought of the Rega Brio was that it could provide an upgrade path (get the Apollo CD player a bit later).

As always the answer is to listen, if I can get home demos.

On another note, the Project Genie and NAD PP3 combo is an area I think could be improved. It replaced a Technics 1200, and is very 'polite' in comparison. Would you know whether a Project phono stage is a worthwhile experiment? Or the pricey Arcam rPhono?

I'm not sure where it would be best to spend the money in this case, amp or player.

To try and decide I would ask you about the difference that you hear comparing CD to vinyl, particularly with regard to the punch and precision of the bass. Is the CD better or the vinyl?

Tomle

Mar 7, 2018
Visit site
Very good advice. re: the phono amp, I think I'll leave that as is. After some careful counter listening, I'd say it's probably more the output volume of the vinyl than the intricacy of the phono amp. Schoolboy error!

Overall though, the system does still fluff the upper mid bass, no matter what the format.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
When a system is not quite giving you what you want, it is often difficult to know what to change. The usual response is tp throw money at a 'better' this or that, but that does not always work.

Personally I prefer to try and be a bit more logical, this is how I would go about it.

Firstly I would assess which of CD and vinyl I use the most, if it is vinyl I would certainly consider a complete new player.

If you use both more or less equally, then I would listen and compare the two, with the same recording if possible, and see which handles the bass issues best. This should help tell you if you have a source issue or as originally thought, an amp speaker problem.

Finally, has anything changed in recent times that has made the issues more obvious? I'm thinking about moving the speakers, changing stands, turntable support etc.

If you want to take the time and evaluate these things, i'm happy to help, if I can.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts