No real hifi is without a streaming service

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Imho, if you buy a streamer, no matter if it is cheap or expensive, different services should support it otherwise it is compromised.

When this happens I would have less objections. High(er) resolution services would be another step in the right direction but Tidal hasn't yet delivered on that and Spotify (and others) should imo at the very least offer CD quality streaming.

You're asking for high quality universal support from every service provider for every device and/or protocol ... never going to happen, but at least with a generic PC you have a far higher chance of acheving that goal and have far more flexible music playing options.
Physical media has far more compromises than streaming imho.

tino said:
drummerman said:
Imho, if you buy a streamer, no matter if it is cheap or expensive, different services should support it otherwise it is compromised.

When this happens I would have less objections. High(er) resolution services would be another step in the right direction but Tidal hasn't yet delivered on that and Spotify (and others) should imo at the very least offer CD quality streaming.

You're asking for high quality universal support from every service provider for every device and/or protocol ... never going to happen, but at least with a generic PC you have a far higher chance of acheving that goal and have far more flexible music playing options. Physical media has far more compromises than streaming imho.

At least my physical media never shuts up shop, and quality wise it's as good as or better than any streaming provision.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Looking forward to ''no real hi-fi should be without expensive cables!!!''

I would have said speakers, but then someone would come back with headphones.

No hifi is complete without a 13 amp plug (in the UK) or the equivalent in your country of residence.

Beat that.

Oh wait. Someone probably has a solar powered MP3 player....

Edbo2

Mar 6, 2016
Visit site
Even using a NAS for storing your music relies on a third party provider to supply the router. If in the future I decide against broadband how do I play my music? I am coming round to be self sufficient and to keep to a CD source. Also my wife does not understand streaming and finds Sonos not easy to use. She plays only CDs

daveh75

Edbo2 said:
Even using a NAS for storing your music relies on a third party provider to supply the router.

No you're not, in many cases.

If in the future I decide against broadband how do I play my music? I am coming round to be self sufficient and to keep to a CD source.

Even if you 'decide against broadband' your router would continue to function perfectly well as a DHCP server, switch, Wireless AP etc etc...

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
CD's and vinyl will all ways be my bread and butter when it comes to hi-fi. The probablem I have with Streaming servies is they don't pay the musicians nearly enough. I use them to find out about a new musician or band but I always buy their CD or vinyl. How would you like to be underpaid for the work you do?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
Even using a NAS for storing your music relies on a third party provider to supply the router. If in the future I decide against broadband how do I play my music? I am coming round to be self sufficient and to keep to a CD source.

You don't need a broadband internet connection to set up a LAN (Local Area Network) to share your music. You can set up your own network that is not reliant on a third party internet provider ... routers and network swtches can be bought in shops, or carry on using the one you were given free by your previous broadband provider. Also, you can play your music directly from a PC or media player with internal storage without relying on a network.

daveh75

MrReaper182 said:
CD's and vinyl will all ways be my bread and butter when it comes to hi-fi. The probablem I have with Streaming servies is they don't pay the musicians nearly enough. I use them to find out about a new musician or band but I always buy their CD or vinyl. How would you like to be underpaid for the work you do?

What percentage of the CD sale does an artist get?

I do feel the streaming services are to some extent used as a scapegoat by a music industry that's always shafted the artists.

If artists were smart they'd avoid record labels...

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
daveh75 said:
MrReaper182 said:

What percentage of the CD sale does an artist get?

I do feel the streaming services are to some extent used as a scapegoat by a music industry that's always shafted the artists.

If artists were smart they'd avoid record labels...

You could probably use Google to the find the right answer but it's a very low amount.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:

If ever I've felt I've been underpaid in a job Ive gone and worked somewhere else. When you are going to watch live music do you enquire at the venue 1st to see how much the bass player is getting paid and if you deem it insufficient decide not to go? Most musicians play for the love of it, I know because I used to be one. As far as as streaming goes i'm a consumer and look to get the best quality I can for my money.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
tino said:

None of them quite trump the risk that with streaming you're relying on countless factors outside your control to deliver the content to your home/mobile device. Having bought the CD, the record, or the download, you're relying on no one. But it remains a great way to experience new music. If I like something enough I'll go buy the CD (or the record sometimes)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Edbo2 said:
Even using a NAS for storing your music relies on a third party provider to supply the router. If in the future I decide against broadband how do I play my music? I am coming round to be self sufficient and to keep to a CD source. Also my wife does not understand streaming and finds Sonos not easy to use. She plays only CDs

Yes but unless you're name is Sony or Samsung or some such like I expect you're relying on a third party to supply your CD player, DAC, software / firmware, etc.

If you went as far back as sheet music and your own personal orchestra, and unless your name is Mozart or something, you'd still be reliant on someone to write the music, make the instruments, train the musicians, etc.

Might as well say no hifi is complete without your local electricity company.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
tino said:

None of them quite trump the risk that with streaming you're relying on countless factors outside your control to deliver the content to your home/mobile device. Having bought the CD, the record, or the download, you're relying on no one. But it remains a great way to experience new music. If I like something enough I'll go buy the CD (or the record sometimes)

Way back when the World was black and white and peolpe walked funny, we had this thing called radio. The radio would play music from all sorts of different genres, bands, musicians, countries even, and if you liked a particular tune, you could pop down to Woolies or WH Smith or HMV even on payday and for a few shillings your could buy the gramaphone recording.

Now, where did I leave my pipe and slippers??

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
MajorFubar said:
tino said:

Way back when the World was black and white and peolpe walked funny, we had this thing called radio. The radio would play music from all sorts of different genres, bands, musicians, countries even, and if you liked a particular tune, you could pop down to Woolies or WH Smith or HMV even on payday and for a few shillings your could buy the gramaphone recording.

Ok, I'm now building up to the 'no real hifi is without a good FM Tuner'.

Appearing soon in a thread near you :)

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
MajorFubar said:
tino said:

The purist will be along shortly to say that should be a short wave "cat's whisker" made to fit inside an old tobacco tin (remember them?) and powered by a huge leaky Every-Ready battery (or for the ultra-purists, a "Leiden jar")....

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Benedict_Arnold said:

No need for another thread ... the beauty of most streaming systems is that they do internet radio very well :)

I probably listen just as much to streamed radio channels as I do on-demand streaming services or listening to my own purchased music.

My jury is out on this (if you get my drift), but I hope to rectify that soon as we are moving to a house where I'll be able to have Qobuz on my main system. At the moment I use it stand-alone in another place, only via my AirPlay speaker.

But I suppose I am still wedded to FM, LP, and cd.

TRENDING THREADS