No real hifi is complete without a turntable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
Not to mention all the dirt and dust and other noises you get on used vinyl.

Some used vinyl plays perfectly, without pop or crackle, and when it does, no CD is coming close to it for sound quality. I can live with the odd pop or crackle anyway, because I have some albums on both CD and vinyl, and the difference in sound is pretty much like the difference between a compressed and uncompressed soundtrack on a film.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
Not to mention all the dirt and dust and other noises you get on used vinyl.

Some used vinyl plays perfectly, without pop or crackle, and when it does, no CD is coming close to it for sound quality. I can live with the odd pop or crackle anyway, because I have some albums on both CD and vinyl, and the difference in sound is pretty much like the difference between a compressed and uncompressed soundtrack on a film.

What cdp do you have?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Never fully understood the view that CDs are comparatively cheap/'worthless' compared to records is a bad thing. The fact that the format which offers the best potential SQ is often the cheapest to buy (especially used) is win-win if you ask me. The only tragedy is I sometimes have to buy an album on an inferior carrier (vinyl) to get my hands on the best-sounding master.
I'm not saying CD is cheap compared to vinyl - I'm saying the CD format is generally worthless full stop. Want to sell your CDs? You'll be lucky to get 30/50p each. CD has been around for about 35 years, so there's a lot of CDs out there, and this is obvious with the amount you'll see in charity shops, car boots, pound stores, and even the amount of used CDs on Amazon available for 1p.

David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:
Never fully understood the view that CDs are comparatively cheap/'worthless' compared to records is a bad thing. The fact that the format which offers the best potential SQ is often the cheapest to buy (especially used) is win-win if you ask me. The only tragedy is I sometimes have to buy an album on an inferior carrier (vinyl) to get my hands on the best-sounding master.
I'm not saying CD is cheap compared to vinyl - I'm saying the CD format is generally worthless full stop. Want to sell your CDs? You'll be lucky to get 30/50p each. CD has been around for about 35 years, so there's a lot of CDs out there, and this is obvious with the amount you'll see in charity shops, car boots, pound stores, and even the amount of used CDs on Amazon available for 1p.

If you already own a CDP then the cost of CD s as you point out is a benefit rather than a detriment. Whatever the price you can actually sell them unlike a streamed file. The cost argument is irrelevant and doesn't stand up.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
If you already own a CDP then the cost of CD s as you point out is a benefit rather than a detriment. Whatever the price you can actually sell them unlike a streamed file. The cost argument is irrelevant and doesn't stand up.
I agree it is a benefit.

I use my Oppo 103 digitally into my Classe pre for CD playback (although most of my CDs get transferred to my Innuos for direct streaming), although I use that mostly for SACD / DVD-A playback.

I've bought more CDs over the last 5 years than ever before. On this format, I can use them for demonstration purposes as well as for playback in my own system.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:

The same could have been said for vinyl 10 years ago, loads got dumped because there was no market for it.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
One of my local pubs, the Express Tavern at Kew bridge, plays vinyl.

They have what looks like a Technics direct drive player, (not an SL1200) and a 'vintage' (80s?) receiver from the same manufacturer. The bar staff feed the vinyl, usually with some helpful (?) suggestions from middle aged hipster types around that end of the bar.

Slim chances it was a Pioneer SD-1100 then.

pioneer_sd-1100_stereo_display_unit.jpg

DSC02546.jpg

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:

I like really weird jazz. Unfortunately I can rarely find them cheap! Usually from small labels or done in small numbers me guesses :-(

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
I like really weird jazz. Unfortunately I can rarely find them cheap! Usually from small labels or done in small numbers me guesses :-(
For me, it's non mainstream electronic music that usually parts me from more money than the average CD - it'd be cheaper to buy the vinyl copy most of the time! Phoenix Rising by Bluetech cost me about £40 (but they were limited to 666 copies, I suppose).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
davedotco said:
One of my local pubs, the Express Tavern at Kew bridge, plays vinyl.

They have what looks like a Technics direct drive player, (not an SL1200) and a 'vintage' (80s?) receiver from the same manufacturer. The bar staff feed the vinyl, usually with some helpful (?) suggestions from middle aged hipster types around that end of the bar.

Slim chances it was a Pioneer SD-1100 then.

More like something like this....
260609-vintage_technics_sa202_receiver.jpg

Next time I pop in I will check out the models.

Interestingly the hubbub of a fairly busy pub meant that the usual vinyl noise, scratches etc were inaudible so the immediate impression was quite pleasant it rather lacking in clarity.

But then if you only play popular music that people know, then it works well enough, very 'warm' and comfortable.

In the 'other' pub last night they had on a blues playlist put together by the sunday barman, one of the songs was quite appropriate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuBppsGN9sQ

Nice bit of Albert Collins

mrbthebarber

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
... or better still, TWO turntables :) One RP3 with ORTOFON 2M MONO cartridge and a RP5 with ELYS 2 cartridge. HIGHLY recommend anyone with a large Mono collection to buy a mono cartridge, the difference between it and a stereo cartridge is massive. Best £200 I've spent in a long while.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts