No real hifi is complete without a turntable

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Just look at show systems.

Do they look complete without a turntable?

Nop.

If you don't use a turntable ... I won't take you seriously. That includes Devileters and Schmegeliters :)

drummerman said:

Nop.

If you don't use a turntable ... I won't take you seriously. That includes Devileters and Schmegeliters :)

Contentious non?

I am led to believe Devileters have a very good phono stage. Most show systems only include one for aesthetic reasons.

The DCS Scarlatti stack would look weird with a turntable stuck on top in my opinion.

Yours,

A devout vinyl aficionado.

K

keeper of the quays

drummerman said:

Nop.

If you don't use a turntable ... I won't take you seriously. That includes Devileters and Schmegeliters  :)
what are your feelings regarding us of the 78 fraternity? That's 78rpm..

Old Dex

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Depends.......

.... is your turntable isolated totally, maybe on a wall shelf specifically placed for it. Prior to a house move mine used to be, now it's sat on top of my amp.

Which brings up another question, what do you use that's looks OK for levelling your turntable? My turntable has 3 feet, the amp it's (temporarily) sat on has 4 feet. Between the two and various bit of card, halves of wooden clothes pegs it's bang on level according to my centre-bubble level. But it looks cr@p.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Old Dex said:
Depends.......

.... is your turntable isolated totally, maybe on a wall shelf specifically placed for it. Prior to a house move mine used to be, now it's sat on top of my amp.

Which brings up another question, what do you use that's looks OK for levelling your turntable? My turntable has 3 feet, the amp it's (temporarily) sat on has 4 feet. Between the two and various bit of card, halves of wooden clothes pegs it's bang on level according to my centre-bubble level. But it looks cr@p.

Tilt the house

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Sorry Drummerman but I'm going to differ with you on this one.

Looks-wise, yes, but having had vinyl when I was younger, it's just too much faff in practice. I don't want to spend ages getting the set-up right. I don't want music that steadily deteriorates with the stylus. I don't want dust. I don't want to spend ages getting aforementioned dust off the record before I play it.

It's for same reasons that I never got into downloading, NAS drives, rips, backups and the like.

I just want to listen to the music please.

That's why I hung onto CD as my main music source for ages the skipped downloading and went straight to streaming Tidal. This is all I ever want. All the music I need on tap in good quality. No backups, no space-consuming collections required in my living space. Aaaaah. Happy.

But looks, granted they do look cool, UNTIL of course you put the clear acrylic dust cover on the previously hip and swanky looking turntable. Then it looks naff.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Old Dex said:
Depends.......

Beer mats are good. And the structure of the material provides good damping.
Hold on a minute! I'm changing my name to Andrew Russel and going into business...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
That's why I hung onto CD as my main music source for ages the skipped downloading and went straight to streaming Tidal. This is all I ever want. All the music I need on tap in good quality. No backups, no space-consuming collections required in my living space. Aaaaah. Happy.
"All" the music you ever want? I wish I was that easy to please! They have a quarter of the albums of one of my favourite artists. That's ONE album... :(

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Leeps said:

Until one day you log on and you find one of your favourite albums is no longer being streamed because it's been withdrawn from the catalogue. Or they've replaced it with a 'new improved re-master' you hate. Or woe betide when the internet's down. Nothing really beats actually owning an album be it a download, CD or LP. They can't take that away from you.

(EDIT: I'm saying this as a relatively contented regular user of Apple music, so I'm no dinosaur. But the idea that access to my choice of music is governed my someone else's whim is for me too a step too far, until everything settles down, probably take a decade).

David@FrankHarvey said:
I'm with the Major on that one. It's nice to have a whole load of music at your fingertips for one monthly fee, but that's like renting a house instead of buying one. What if any one of these steaming services decide to call it a day? Use it as a companion, but don't rely on it.

The example I gave of one of my favourite bands was the first thing I searched for.

I would concur wholeheartedly.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
This weekend, time permitting, I will load up a superb pressing of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra playing Sibelius, then apply the screw-down aluminium clamp ... lit by an Ikea Jansjo lamp. A couple of candles in the room.

I sit back with a glass of red whilst a gorgeous 25yr old blonde is looking at me lovingly.

This is the power of vinyl.

Maybe I made a tiny thing up.

I only ever light one candle.

There is no doubt that playing an LP is more of an effort, and that makes it more like dressing up to go out for a concert. I share your view that sometimes you reap the reward for that effort!

And nothing looks better than a rotating turntable!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:

Nop.

*stop* Nop. Digital minimalism is the future.

one_overview.png

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
This weekend, time permitting, I will load up a superb pressing of the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra playing Sibelius, then apply the screw-down aluminium clamp ... lit by an Ikea Jansjo lamp. A couple of candles in the room.

I sit back with a glass of red whilst a gorgeous 25yr old blonde is looking at me lovingly.

This is the power of vinyl.

Maybe I made a tiny thing up.

I only ever light one candle.

magic.. like velvia or sensia projected on a cream wall from leica pradovit p600

d817b2de-c41e-11e5-87b7-b9ac8b1d9d24.jpg

manicm

Seriously, about 2 years ago I had installed a replacement stylus for my dad's turntable, and had spinned my Talking Heads Naked LP after 24 years and was frankly startled by the sound. I don't care what the so called 'scientists' or 'objectivists' say but that just highlighted to me that something was missing from cd/digital. Good vinyl just has that fluidity that swings and makes digital sound a bit stodgy.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm with the Major on that one. It's nice to have a whole load of music at your fingertips for one monthly fee, but that's like renting a house instead of buying one. What if any one of these streaming services decide to call it a day? Use it as a companion, but don't rely on it.

The example I gave of one of my favourite bands was the first thing I searched for.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Tidal is it does not have many albums I want to play. Many artists are not putting albums on streaming services now or taking them off. The other annoying thing is you go to play a certain album again and its gone, some come and go. What happens when Tidal goes bust? For the cost of Tidal you can buy 100s of cds. You can choose the best versions, not some modern remastered for loudness reissue.

The problem with vinyl is geting decent quality at a reasonable price. I gave up buying vinyl because of poor quality, maybe I'm fussy but I don't want scrathed, warped, off centre, badly pressed records. The problem with cds is most are not mastered or remastered to have the best sound quality.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I sold all my record playing equipment a few months ago, I didn't use it more than a couple of times a month.

I had an Lingo lp12 with Ittok lv3 and Lyra Lydian cartridge and an EAR 834p phono stage and I really don't miss it at all.

I find digital replay to be far more realistic sounding and much less hassle.

So I suppose I will have to suffer my terrible incomplete hifi system. *nea* *wink* *biggrin*

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
BigH said:
For the cost of Tidal you can buy 100s of cds.

That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Tidal is £20 per month. That equates to 1.5 to 4 CD's a month depending on whether they're budget CD's or new releases. Generously assuming an average of say 3, that's 36 CD's a year. Not exactly 100's.

For that outlay, I have instant access to 40,000 tracks. So you can't argue that one on financial grounds. I know from experience with my own bank account that I've saved a huge amount of money since streaming Tidal (as I used to buy a lot of CD's). When I was streaming Spotify, the quality didn't quite to it for me, so I still bought CD's too.

How many CD's have you bought that you subsequently discovered you only liked 2 or 3 tracks on it? I'm all for sitting down an listening to an album beginning to end as created, particularly if it's something as enthralling as Hans Zimmer's Interstellar OST for example, but there are quite a few albums I own on CD that I don't play because there are only a couple of tracks on it that I like. But albums like this on Tidal I just include in a playlist, so I do get to hear them.

Tidal isn't perfect I agree, but it just balanced my own preferences for music discovery (that streaming does better than anything else), quality and ease of use/access without too much hardware and faffing about required (that downloading doesn't do very well). At the end of the day, we all have different preferences, but for now at least, Tidal floats my boat.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Leeps said:
BigH said:
For the cost of Tidal you can buy 100s of cds.

That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Tidal is £20 per month. That equates to 1.5 to 4 CD's a month depending on whether they're budget CD's or new releases. Generously assuming an average of say 3, that's 36 CD's a year. Not exactly 100's.

For that outlay, I have instant access to 40,000 tracks. So you can't argue that one on financial grounds. I know from experience with my own bank account that I've saved a huge amount of money since streaming Tidal (as I used to buy a lot of CD's). When I was streaming Spotify, the quality didn't quite to it for me, so I still bought CD's too.

How many CD's have you bought that you subsequently discovered you only liked 2 or 3 tracks on it? I'm all for sitting down an listening to an album beginning to end as created, particularly if it's something as enthralling as Hans Zimmer's Interstellar OST for example, but there are quite a few albums I own on CD that I don't play because there are only a couple of tracks on it that I like. But albums like this on Tidal I just include in a playlist, so I do get to hear them.

Tidal isn't perfect I agree, but it just balanced my own preferences for music discovery (that streaming does better than anything else), quality and ease of use/access without too much hardware and faffing about required (that downloading doesn't do very well). At the end of the day, we all have different preferences, but for now at least, Tidal floats my boat.

Not really, most of my cds I buy now are used, you can find most for about £1.27, even stuff like Led Zepp Remasters which is a double cd. The only new ones I buy are things like ECM jazz and special imports, most you can get from the USA for about £5. With streaming you can hear before you buy, Deezer is free for 1 year. Is ECM catalogue on Tidal? When I looked at Tidal there were many albums missing, why play £20 for a service with half missing? So you spend £20 pm, what happens if Tidal goes bust? Then you have spent all that money and you will have nothing to play.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts