No real hifi is complete without a turntable

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rgkg93

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
drummerman said:
Just look at show systems.

Do they look complete without a turntable?

Nop.

If you don't use a turntable ... I won't take you seriously. That includes Devileters and Schmegeliters :)

Is this serious? I prefer using FLAC recorded tracks with a DAC anyday.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Electro said:
I sold all my record playing equipment a few months ago, I didn't use it more than a couple of times a month.

I had an Lingo lp12 with Ittok lv3 and Lyra Lydian cartridge and an EAR 834p phono stage and I really don't miss it at all.

I find digital replay to be far more realistic sounding and much less hassle.

So I suppose I will have to suffer my terrible incomplete hifi system. *nea* *wink* *biggrin*

A similar tale to myself last year. Had a beautiful Pro-Ject 2Xperience Acrylic TT that hardly ever got used.

I bit the bullet and sold everything including my small (500), but distinctly average condition collection for a figure that would have been unheard of 5 years earlier.

I don't miss the actual playing of records one bit, but I must admit that TT did look good on top of my cabinet.

What I've been looking around for recently is a matching Creek Evolution AM/FM tuner but no joy as yet. That also would look good in my cabinet ( as well as presumably sound half decent too ).

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
To have a turn table if i had a dedicated music room in a large house but my hufi sits under the tv with 2 speakers either side.

There is just nowhere to put one. Maybe in the future though

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
One of my local pubs, the Express Tavern at Kew bridge, plays vinyl.

They have what looks like a Technics direct drive player, (not an SL1200) and a 'vintage' (80s?) receiver from the same manufacturer. The bar staff feed the vinyl, usually with some helpful (?) suggestions from middle aged hipster types around that end of the bar.

Last night we were subjected to both sides of Rumours and some Roxy Music, possibly a grearest hits collection. It was annoying, primarily due to the tedious musical choices, I mean, really!

The other local that I regularly use uses Spotify, first ever visit they were had on a playlist heavily featuring Joy Division, J & MC, Sisters of Mercy etc. Sold...*biggrin*

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
davedotco said:
The other local that I regularly use uses Spotify, first ever visit they were had on a playlist heavily featuring Joy Division, J & MC, Sisters of Mercy etc. Sold...*biggrin*

The last thing I'd want to hear whilst having a nice pint of beer is Jesus & Mary Chain. Avoid
regular_smile.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

If you don't use a turntable ... I won't take you seriously. That includes Devileters and Schmegeliters :)

Ah, see ... that's why I won't take you seriously ... :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
DIB said:
davedotco said:

The last thing I'd want to hear whilst having a nice pint of beer is Jesus & Mary Chain. Avoid.

The Magpie and Crown is probably not for you then. The beer is serious, whether real ale, craft or belgian and thats just the draft.

Music is good too, very different night to night, can be anything, blues, jazz, indy. One guy even got them to play some Dead, bought him a beer.

One thing it is not is boring or bland. More likely to hear bootleg Jimi Hendrix then Dire ****** Straits.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
TrevC said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

What if you don't have any records? :O)

Not ideal but still looks better.

Happy sunny Saturday all x

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

Record players make nice table ornaments and are fun to play around with but they certainly aren't necessary to be taken seriously. In fact if anything it's probably the other way round. How can you expect to be taken seriously if you do have a turntable?

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
Even pound shops. This is why I've said many times that the CD format (whilst not dead yet) is worthless, it holds no value whatsoever. Except for the ones I want to buy, it seems... :(

It's a shame, want to get Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water, resellers on Amazon want outrageous prices as it seems out of print now. What to do eh?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How can you expect to be taken seriously if you ask "How can you expect to be taken seriously if you do have a turntable?"

Bearing in mind, the modern trend to give mainstream vinyl releases significantly higher DR ratings than the digital releases. Plus the rather lacklustre sound of so many digital releases of analogue era recordings, when compared to the vinyl - especially when played on World Class sources.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Bearing in mind, the modern trend to give mainstream vinyl releases significantly higher DR ratings than the digital releases. Plus the rather lacklustre sound of so many digital releases of analogue era recordings, when compared to the vinyl - especially when played on World Class sources.

Good point actually. I have at least one record which has been mastered with a higher DR rating than the digital version and it does sound better on vinyl as a result.

drummerman said:
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

Me neither, this thread is about a device not a format. ;-)

daveh75

Al ears said:
drummerman said:
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

You don't consider a DAC a device then...

daveh75 said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

Of course it is, however Flac is a format. This has nothing at all to do with the original post. Just people diverting a thread to their own ends again.

daveh75

Al ears said:
daveh75 said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

Of course it is, however Flac is a format. This has nothing at all to do with the original post. Just people diverting a thread to their own ends again.

Neither does all the gushing over Vinyl, or the mention CDs.

And it was a trollish thread from the outset...

daveh75 said:
Al ears said:
daveh75 said:
Al ears said:
drummerman said:
rgkg93 said:
drummerman said:

Nop.

Neither does all the gushing over Vinyl, or the mention CDs.

And it was a trollish thread from the outset...

I wouldn't know, I didn't post it.

However it's pretty sad when people cannot stick with the theme without hijacking for their own purposes.

Still I should be used to it by now as this forum rapidly becomes 99% BS.

scene

David@FrankHarvey said:
scene said:
I have the same recordings on vinyl, and CD, and have listened to re-mastered versions via Spotify and the Vinyl wins in many, many cases. Especially on Classical.
So are you saying that vinyl is better reproducing classical music than Spotify is? That's interesting if that is the case, as many seem to slag vinyl off, particularly for its supposedly inferior reproduction of classical music. I can't say, as I haven't compared classical recordings over different formats.

That has been my experience. But as we know listening to music is a very subjective experience and it's difficult to divorce the history of listening to a familiar piece from the absolute of is it a better recording than another. Especially when it's the same recording across different formats.
I suspect that in some cases over zealous cleaning up during the remastering process makes some pieces a bit too clinical and losses the ambience - the coughs, shuffling of feet, the subliminal sounds from live recordings that give a piece its ambience and help transport you to the concert hall. I've also heard digital pieces that knock the socks off the original vinyl recordings I have (had!) - but in those cases the vinyl was a cheap pressing.
I'm pragmatic about it, but I, like drummerman think a TT completes a system...

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I regularly see CDs for 50p at car boot sales and charity shops, and a charity shop near me has hundreds of them, and they're not all crap or scratched.
Even pound shops. This is why I've said many times that the CD format (whilst not dead yet) is worthless, it holds no value whatsoever. Except for the ones I want to buy, it seems... :(

Yes but you could have said that about vinyl 10-20 years ago. Just because vinyl is trendy at the moment does not mean it will last. Those £1 cds could worth a lot of money in 10 years time, nearly anything that goes out of availablity new is worth a lot. Look at the HDTracks SACDs prices now they are not available new, they are going for £300 +, yet you can buy probable a similar or better Analogue Productions SACD or HDAD for $25. Prices are mad, just looked at a record sale today, they had the Doors Morrison Hotel for £40, it was pretty tatty to, but then they had ordinary cds like WYWH used for £8, again mad, I bought mine in mint condition for £1.27.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Never fully understood the view that CDs are comparatively cheap/'worthless' compared to records is a bad thing. The fact that the format which offers the best potential SQ is often the cheapest to buy (especially used) is win-win if you ask me. The only tragedy is I sometimes have to buy an album on an inferior carrier (vinyl) to get my hands on the best-sounding master.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BigH said:
The thing about used cds is most of them are playable and as good as new, the same can't be said of vinyl, even new about half are flawed.

Not always, and when a used CD does have scratches, it won't play at all, or will stick and stammer very very annoyingly. Vinyl on the other hand, might make a a few noises, but it has to be pretty well trashed to be unplayable.

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:
The thing about used cds is most of them are playable and as good as new, the same can't be said of vinyl, even new about half are flawed.

Not always, and when a used CD does have scratches, it won't play at all, or will stick and stammer very very annoyingly. Vinyl on the other hand, might make a a few noises, but it has to be pretty well trashed to be unplayable.

Whatever the physical media employed a scratch is essentially going to trash it. A

CDs might not play but at least they are not going to damage your nice expensive cartridge. :)

Each to their own you might say but I would just like to add my system has never been without a turntable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BigH said:

Thats why I said most! I only had 1 that stuck and that was replaced straight away even without returning. Vinyl maybe playable but for me I don't want to listen to that. What about your expensive stylus you want to damage that with scratched records. I was reading the other day an article about getting a budget cartridge for used vinyl. Not to mention all the dirt and dust and other noises you get on used vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts