No real hifi is complete without a turntable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
hi BigH.. tidal hifi price is probably the reason why those who choose paid streaming go for cheaper spotify or apple music.. did use spotify myself for a while but the catalogue is nowhere near where I wanted so I opt out. for those music lovers interested in vinyl on a ' normal wages' who have ' few' favorite artist and discover music very slow or add artist once in a while vinyl - price wise - is probably ok..

at the rate I buy downloads if I want to go vinyl I would go bancrupt at the begining of financial year plus I'd still have to have vinyl to file ripping set up to have my music on the go, in the car and I'd probably need to quite my job to have time for all these or make it my job and become dj.

btw, I love when dj play from vinyl

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Leeps said:
That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Tidal is £20 per month. That equates to 1.5 to 4 CD's a month depending on whether they're budget CD's or new releases. Generously assuming an average of say 3, that's 36 CD's a year. Not exactly 100's.
Used?

How many CD's have you bought that you subsequently discovered you only liked 2 or 3 tracks on it? I'm all for sitting down an listening to an album beginning to end as created, particularly if it's something as enthralling as Hans Zimmer's Interstellar OST for example, but there are quite a few albums I own on CD that I don't play because there are only a couple of tracks on it that I like. But albums like this on Tidal I just include in a playlist, so I do get to hear them.
On the first listening of an album, I may well form instant dislikes to some tracks, but more often than not, after repeated exposure to those tracks (along with the whole album), I usually finding myself liking tracks I wasn't initially keen on. That's where a lot of people miss out. I can't remember the last time I just put a single track on to listen to at home.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
Leeps said:
That's why I hung onto CD as my main music source for ages the skipped downloading and went straight to streaming Tidal. This is all I ever want. All the music I need on tap in good quality. No backups, no space-consuming collections required in my living space. Aaaaah. Happy.
"All" the music you ever want? I wish I was that easy to please! They have a quarter of the albums of one of my favourite artists. That's ONE album... :(

I agree, David. If your music taste differs from the norm, it's quite hard to find even a small percentage of it on online streaming services.

I've ripped all my CDs, I love to play my vinyl, and I do use a free streaming service for some stuff I'd like to hear, but don't own, but I'd never use a streaming service all the time, because none of them will ever have all the music I want to hear.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Leeps said:
BigH said:
For the cost of Tidal you can buy 100s of cds.

That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Tidal is £20 per month.

I regularly see CDs for 50p at car boot sales and charity shops, and a charity shop near me has hundreds of them, and they're not all crap or scratched.

As others have said, streaming services are ok as an addition, but too limited to be the main.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Leeps said:
BigH said:
For the cost of Tidal you can buy 100s of cds.

That's a bit of an exaggeration don't you think? Tidal is £20 per month.

I regularly see CDs for 50p at car boot sales and charity shops, and a charity shop near me has hundreds of them, and they're not all crap or scratched.

As others have said, streaming services are ok as an addition, but too limited to be the main.

Yes thats true. To me used cds are just as good as new ones, most I have bought have been in good condition, only one had a scratch that affected it playing, but that was replaced free of charge within a few days. Yes years ago I wasted a lot of money on cds that I rarely played, at least now with streaming you can listen before you buy. Its great way to find new music and so much variety I don't get bored. If I lived in the USA I probably would have a turntable again.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Tidal is fantastic sounding and I have had very few issues with music I like not being available - if it isn't I buy the cd. £20 a month is practically free!!! That said I still love vinyl but with lp's at between 15 and 20 pounds a pop I couldn't afford to buy all the music I want (which is a lot) without selling one of the kids...

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Tidal is fantastic sounding and I have had very few issues with music I like not being available - if it isn't I buy the cd. £20 a month is practically free!!! That said I still love vinyl but with lp's at between 15 and 20 pounds a pop I couldn't afford to buy all the music I want (which is a lot) without selling one of the kids...

I was left alone to play with Tidal in my local Sevenoaks. The SQ was fine but I don't have an issue with either iTunes or Spotify. The only issue I had with Tidal was the limited catalogue.

Now I have a pair of exceptionally good speakers, I haven't tried Tidal at home to compare to iTunes - it maybe interesting to re-evaluate. However, I'm likely to buy a record deck this summer and dig out my 200+ records & countless singles.

I would never argue that streaming is all that anyone needs - it has certainly enabled me to explore a hell of a lot of music with a great deal of pleasure. Streaming should be viewed as an add-on rather than as a replacement. If iTunes went belly-up (unlikely) I still have hundreds of hours of purchased music.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
Did anyone ever get one of those Olives? They were simply a fund raiser when I last looked.

Not entirely sure, althought it appears you can buy one?!? If I wanted something round, shiny, plays music and looks good as a piece of 'furniture', then I would go for one of these rather than a turntable.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Had a look on Tidal again and yes there are more albums available now but still some gaps. I find it annoying that some recent albums are missing or only 1 track (single) is available, ie Natalie Merchant, Lucinda Williams. Bob Seger all his studio albums are missing, Patricia Barber only 4 studio albums. Looks like Neil Young is back on. Calexico all their albums missing apart from 1 soundtrack. Dead Can Dance, best album IMHO missing. Generally Jazz seems to have less albums than on Spotify/Deezer. Probably the same for Classical.

I see some artists are suing Tidal for not being paid: http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/tidal-sued-for-allegedly-not-paying-artists.html

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Agree, some streaming services are on potentially fragile stilts so as much as I use them (a lot) I don't necesseraly see them as a permanent solution.

A bit like utility providers, jump ship if you find a better offer/service.

I just quit Tidal Hifi because they don't support certain hardware.

I may rejoin as/if they do but if not ... no sleep lost.

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Leeps said:
Sorry Drummerman but I'm going to differ with you on this one.

Looks-wise, yes, but having had vinyl when I was younger, it's just too much faff in practice. I don't want to spend ages getting the set-up right. I don't want music that steadily deteriorates with the stylus. I don't want dust. I don't want to spend ages getting aforementioned dust off the record before I play it.

I had vinyls when I was younger but I fell for vinyls again. I go to many pawn shops and always find good stuff. There is also those very great classics that I can find in brand new 180g audiophile version at the store. Side by side on good headphones my tt beats my dac, cd or Tidal. I understand you like streaming and I like it too but for those very intense listening of my fav artist nothing beats vinyls. For me the experience of handling the albums really adds a layer of pleasure. I also like that it needs a little bag of tricks and knowledge to sound best. Why not give it a second try ?

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Seriously, about 2 years ago I had installed a replacement stylus for my dad's turntable, and had spinned my Talking Heads Naked LP after 24 years and was frankly startled by the sound. I don't care what the so called 'scientists' or 'objectivists' say but that just highlighted to me that something was missing from cd/digital. Good vinyl just has that fluidity that swings and makes digital sound a bit stodgy.

Exactly how i feel !

When I put the ortofon 2m blue cartridge, It was clear cd or any digital was left behind. Another step came when i upgraded to acrylic platter. That last upgrade literally unleashed my whole hifi setup. Digital is only convenient but does not sound as good.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Even pound shops. This is why I've said many times that the CD format (whilst not dead yet) is worthless, it holds no value whatsoever. Except for the ones I want to buy, it seems... :(

Drummer man talks total rubbish , constantly . I got over 40 years of selling , owning and repairing hifi. Hifi is proper when it's used by any media that you require . I own a few quality turntables , I own a few quality amps and speakers . I mostly use an extremely good quality radio tuner . I think not owning an amplifier is a massive problem . I also own a very good quality CD player , but I think all CD players are rubbish for Hifi. Even expensive CD players can use cheap transports and decoders and still sound rubbish .

scene

I have fully embraced the digital world - all my CDs have been ripped to lossless format and I play them back via SONOS - Connects to each of the amps, Play 5s in the bedrooms - I have a Spotify subscription to listen to anything me or the family want to, and then buy on CD (and then rip) if we really like it. And yes, CD players can be iffy - I've had some in my time having got my first one way back in 1988.

But.

I have a TT (ProJect Debut II) plumbed into the amp into the study so can listen to my cupboard full of vinyl - and yes, it's plumbed into the SONOS, so I can listen to it anywhere in the house (turning over the record can be a bit of a pain... ;) )

And I love it.

Loved it - the TT stopped working a few weeks back and I had to think "Do I need a TT".

And the answer is an emphatic yes! I want a turntable. I need a turntable. I have the same recordings on vinyl, and CD, and have listened to re-mastered versions via Spotify and the Vinyl wins in many, many cases. Especially on Classical.

So I'm with Drummerman - a system isn't complete without a TT.

Now - I must start a thread on what TT I should get to replace my faithful old ProJect...

scene said:
I have fully embraced the digital world - all my CDs have been ripped to lossless format and I play them back via SONOS - Connects to each of the amps, Play 5s in the bedrooms - I have a Spotify subscription to listen to anything me or the family want to, and then buy on CD (and then rip) if we really like it. And yes, CD players can be iffy - I've had some in my time having got my first one way back in 1988.

But.

I have a TT (ProJect Debut II) plumbed into the amp into the study so can listen to my cupboard full of vinyl - and yes, it's plumbed into the SONOS, so I can listen to it anywhere in the house (turning over the record can be a bit of a pain... ;) )

And I love it.

Loved it - the TT stopped working a few weeks back and I had to think "Do I need a TT".

And the answer is an emphatic yes! I want a turntable. I need a turntable. I have the same recordings on vinyl, and CD, and have listened to re-mastered versions via Spotify and the Vinyl wins in many, many cases. Especially on Classical.

So I'm with Drummerman - a system isn't complete without a TT.

Now - I must start a thread on what TT I should get to replace my faithful old ProJect...

That's the reason I feel.

Most of us older generation will probably have had or do have a turntable in the system so would agree with drummerman. The younger, more digital generation, may think them superfluous.

scene

Al ears said:
That's the reason I feel.

Most of us older generation will probably have had or do have a turntable in the system so would agree with drummerman. The younger, more digital generation, may think them superfluous.

You're probably right - there probably is a generational issue here.

But vinyl sales are being driven at the moment by that younger generation - so they're not all digital yet. But I suspect there aren't so many on the forums.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Jason Buhagiar said:
Drummer man talks total rubbish , constantly . I got over 40 years of selling , owning and repairing hifi. Hifi is proper when it's used by any media that you require . I own a few quality turntables , I own a few quality amps and speakers . I mostly use an extremely good quality radio tuner . I think not owning an amplifier is a massive problem . I also own a very good quality CD player , but I think all CD players are rubbish for Hifi. Even expensive CD players can use cheap transports and decoders and still sound rubbish .

Finally somebody with some sense ... :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
It's strange that he says you talk total rubbish and then in the rest of the post basically agrees with what you've been saying about vinyl in this thread???

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
scene said:
I have the same recordings on vinyl, and CD, and have listened to re-mastered versions via Spotify and the Vinyl wins in many, many cases. Especially on Classical.
So are you saying that vinyl is better reproducing classical music than Spotify is? That's interesting if that is the case, as many seem to slag vinyl off, particularly for its supposedly inferior reproduction of classical music. I can't say, as I haven't compared classical recordings over different formats.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts