No real hifi is without a streaming service

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmhh ... nop.

Whilst imho no real hifi should be without either a turntable or a cd player, streaming services don't yet, for me, count as one of hifi's must have.

They simply haven't stood the test of time yet. To many question marks on individual services and their sustainability, to many incompatibilities across hardware.

Maybe a few years further down the line.

I've been a Spotify Premium subscriber for a long time (and love it). Sound Quality is very good but its still not real hifi. I have used (and now quit) Tidal Hifi for the last six months. Incompatible with CCA. Subjectively better Audio Quality on the whole but no display on streaming rates. Why not?

Some way to go yet for me at least.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I think streaming is a great addition to any system. Tidal's quality has certainly upped the ante for me, ok it's double what Spotify costs but it's much better quality and worth it imo. You don't even need to spend a fortune on decent kit to stream it - an Android tablet (with Aptx bluetooth) and an Arcam miniblink with some cable and hey presto very nice quality indeed. True 'audiophiles' will be coughing and spluttering right now but the set up I've mentioned stands up very well against cd's and vinyl. That said, I still have cdp's and a TT and love them and my collection dearly, I wouldn't be without the 3 mediums but if I had to choose one it would be difficult...

jjbomber

drummerman said:
Whilst imho no real hifi should be without either a turntable or a cd player, streaming services don't yet, for me, count as one of hifi's must have.

but no display on streaming rates. Why not?

Looking forward to ''no real hi-fi should be without expensive cables!!!''

Tidal is 1,411kbps, same as CD. It's there if you look hard enough.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
jjbomber said:
drummerman said:

but no display on streaming rates. Why not?

Looking forward to ''no real hi-fi should be without expensive cables!!!''

Tidal is 1,411kbps, same as CD. It's there if you look hard enough.

The FM tuner one will probably come first ... .

I must have missed that (display of bit rate for individual tracks). Where is that displayed?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
Mmmhh ... nop.

They simply haven't stood the test of time yet. To many question marks on individual services and their sustainability, to many incompatibilities across hardware.

I've been a Spotify Premium subscriber for a long time (and love it). Sound Quality is very good but its still not real hifi. I have used (and now quit) Tidal Hifi for the last six months. Incompatible with CCA. Subjectively better Audio Quality on the whole but no display on streaming rates. Why not?

You must be doing something wrong *wink* .

I am a very recent subscriber to Spotify premuim and it sounds far better than than I ever imagined it could, actually I would go as far as to say it sounds amazing there is still a dent in my carpet that my jaw made. *shok*

Believe me if you heard it through my system you wouldn't say that it's not real HiFi .*good*

p_m_brown

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Big fan of streaming, really got into it when Qobuz became a decent contender, although I am now a Tidal convert after acquiring a dedicated Naim streamer with inbuilt Tidal functionality.

I still won't be without vinyl despite the convenience streaming from the likes of Tidal or from my NAS offers.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You're not wrong and perhaps I did over-emphasize that aspect. I find Spotify indeed good sounding but compared to my cd player it still lacks behind (as it does with Tidal imho but even there, things seem to be less than clear cut on occasions. I don't know what masters they have at their disposal and I did wonder on occasions if the files where upsampled mp3?

More of an issue is staying power and the future of the format. Then there is hardware compatibility.

I give you though that in itself, these streaming services are highly useful. I probably wouldn't want to be without at least one but proper hifi ... me thinks there are issues that need to be sorted first but others will no doubt disagree.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The more I listen to premuim spotify it makes me wonder whether they add a little presence and added sparkle to the recordings, the stereo image seems to be a little bit larger compared to Cd, but I really like the effect.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
You're not wrong and perhaps I did over-emphasize that aspect. I find Spotify indeed good sounding but compared to my cd player it still lacks behind (as it does with Tidal imho but even there, things seem to be less than clear cut on occasions. I don't know what masters they have at their disposal and I did wonder on occasions if the files where upsampled mp3?

More of an issue is staying power and the future of the format. Then there is hardware compatibility.

I give you though that in itself, these streaming services are highly useful. I probably wouldn't want to be without at least one but proper hifi ... me thinks there are issues that need to be sorted first but others will no doubt disagree.

What cdp would that be?

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Another Spotify premium subscriber. I don't see why spotify premium couldn't be considered hifi. I do still play cds, but to be honest the difference is so small that I rather use Spotify.
The user experience is just way better to me.

As a final note it struck me the Nad dac I now own is totally unfussy about source because it reclocks the signal. I used to own a Cyrus dac X which was awesome, but I found that it did sound better via digital electrical than optical cable. In the end I settled on a mac mini with a profesional studio player that made things sound better than via disc because it used the mac's memory as a buffer before it sent out the data via a cable. This was an optical cable because a mac mini only has this type of digital out. To cut a long story short: the cyrus dac did not have a reclocking feature and I believe this made the difference.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Superaintit said:
Another Spotify premium subscriber. I don't see why spotify premium couldn't be considered hifi. I do still play cds, but to be honest the difference is so small that I rather use Spotify. The user experience is just way better to me.

As a final note it struck me the Nad dac I now own is totally unfussy about source because it reclocks the signal. I used to own a Cyrus dac X which was awesome, but I found that it did sound better via digital electrical than optical cable. In the end I settled on a mac mini with a profesional studio player that made things sound better than via disc because it used the mac's memory as a buffer before it sent out the data via a cable. This was an optical cable because a mac mini only has this type of digital out. To cut a long story short: the cyrus dac did not have a reclocking feature and I believe this made the difference.

Have you tried Tidal? I find it a lot better than Spotify Premium

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
drummerman said:

What cdp would that be?

Cyrus (CD8x or DAD3q)

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
As a music discovery tool or as your main source, every hifi should have a streaming option. I share the same concerns over the longevity of the service providers, but the beauty of streaming is that it is very easy to switch providers if one falls by the wayside or a new one comes along. Assuming you get the right deal, it can be very cheap or even free .... I've enjoyed 2 years of Deezer premium/elite for a very tiny sum.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Superaintit said:
Another Spotify premium subscriber. I don't see why spotify premium couldn't be considered hifi. I do still play cds, but to be honest the difference is so small that I rather use Spotify. The user experience is just way better to me.

Have you tried Tidal? I find it a lot better than Spotify Premium
Not yet. Will give it a try

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry but I have to put the spanner in the works here I am old fashion and still believe in CDs +vinyl and still think that if you have a good setup the sound you will get from it will be better then any of these streaming sites I tried streaming and did not like it you spend more time looking for music then do listen to it you do not own any music your just borrowing it . For the £20 or £40 month you could go out and buy 3 or 4 CDs or some vinyl every month or save up and buy that bit of Hifi your after .

What happen's in the future if this Hifi companies stop making CD players only the high end companies keep making them . What happens if streaming companies go out of business what are people going to listen too then ? or what happens if this companies charge to much a month to use there services ones everyone jumped on board . We will all go back to CD players and owning CDs + vinyl ones the crazy ends to early days yet to say if streaming is here to stay

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
As a music discovery tool or as your main source, every hifi should have a streaming option. I share the same concerns over the longevity of the service providers, but the beauty of streaming is that it is very easy to switch providers if one falls by the wayside or a new one comes along. Assuming you get the right deal, it can be very cheap or even free .... I've enjoyed 2 years of Deezer premium/elite for a very tiny sum.

A lack of platform compatibility with hardware vendors does unfortunately not always make this as straightforward as it should be.

Often the hardware you use determines which streaming service you can use.

Not ideal.

But I concede that as a discovery tool they are second to none. Even as source to 'serious' listen they can be good enough but the above makes it, for me at least, not yet a main stay.

Perhaps they should be in anyones 'serious' hifi, with certain caveats.

jjbomber

drummerman said:
I must have missed that (display of bit rate for individual tracks). Where is that displayed?

I don't have a Tidal account any more, so I'm not sure. When you sign in, there were some functions at the top of the page, like settings, account and so forth. It was in one of those.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:

Yeah I agree with this. There's something reassuring about buying a physical album on your chosen format, or for that matter downloading from a provider, but we haven't anywhere near reached a point where (online) streaming is ubiquitous enough for it not to be a risk as a main source.

Certain albums don't appear for ages (anything by Adele). Some artists don't stream at all. Albums or artists full catalogues that once were available for streaming can and do disappear when either the artist, label or distributor thinks "meh", and pulls it. Albums can be replaced by 'new improved' re-mixes or re-masteres without your consultation or consent.

Until streaming becomes as normal and ubiquitous as turning on a tap and getting fresh water (for us lucky 1st worlders at least), the risk factor associated with using it as a primary souce is too great.

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
From my signature you can see why I enjoy streaming and the leap from spotify to tidal was significant, but its the convenience that seals it.

I get home, switch Hegel on and either use airplay from iphone or use the lightning DS app to access tidal or my 650 album nas drive database.

Even more enjoyable is using Roon on my mac to cruise through so many connections and music types.

When I have time to relax and really listen, Vinyl is my ultimate choice, by along way.

Both have their strengths.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
A lack of platform compatibility with hardware vendors does unfortunately not always make this as straightforward as it should be.

Not ideal.

But I concede that as a discovery tool they are second to none. Even as source to 'serious' listen they can be good enough but the above makes it, for me at least, not yet a main stay.

Choose a platform that will always be updated i.e. A PC or phone. Don't buy expensive hifi with embedded services as you may face future disappointment when the service dies or the manufacturer can't be bothered to keep you updated. One of the reasons I chose Deezer is the cross platform device support is excellent.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
tino said:
drummerman said:

Not ideal.

Choose a platform that will always be updated i.e. A PC or phone. Don't buy expensive hifi with embedded services as you may face future disappointment when the service dies or the manufacturer can't be bothered to keep you updated. One of the reasons I chose Deezer is the cross platform device support is excellent.

I meant more the streaming end of things. For example, Tidal doesn't support Chromecast Audio (at least it didn't a few weeks ago), Spotify does.

Imho, if you buy a streamer, no matter if it is cheap or expensive, different services should support it otherwise it is compromised.

When this happens I would have less objections. High(er) resolution services would be another step in the right direction but Tidal hasn't yet delivered on that and Spotify (and others) should imo at the very least offer CD quality streaming.

This is what I mean, there is some way to go yet (imo).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
As a music lover is hate to be without it. There is lots of music that it's great to be able to check out without buying a cd. There's also lots of music that I like but not enough to buy the CD, so it appeals to the collector in me.

MajorFubar said:
drummerman said:

Yeah I agree with this. There's something reassuring about buying a physical album on your chosen format, or for that matter downloading from a provider, but we haven't anywhere near reached a point where (online) streaming is ubiquitous enough for it not to be a risk as a main source.

Certain albums don't appear for ages (anything by Adele). Some artists don't stream at all. Albums or artists full catalogues that once were available for streaming can and do disappear when either the artist, label or distributor thinks "meh", and pulls it. Albums can be replaced by 'new improved' re-mixes or re-masteres without your consultation or consent.

Until streaming becomes as normal and ubiquitous as turning on a tap and getting fresh water (for us lucky 1st worlders at least), the risk factor associated with using it as a primary souce is too great.

I'd agree to. Whilst I regularly use a network system from NAS through a streamer the quality of most streaming services appear lacking and, in some cases, unreliable.

Not for me at the moment, I'm a downloads man yes however I but still prefer physical media. Must be an age thing. Streaming to me is just like turning on a radio, and often a poorly tuned in one at that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts