Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Current system

1. Rega Saturn

2. Rega P2 with ortefon 2m blue into Naim Stagline n

3. Sonos into Beresford Caiman

4. Naim Nac 202 / Hicap / Napsc / Nap 200

5. Rega R3 speakers

Listening room approx 3m x 2m with speakers on 3m wall.

Budget approx £2000

Seeing as I am over the moon with the "guts" of the system, its going to be source or speakers

options:

1. Naim DAC and feed Saturn and Sonos into that

2. Rega Dac + Rega P5 + Ortefon 2m Black + Quadraspire Rack

3. Rega P7 + Ortefon 2m Black

4. New speakers

Any opinions?

Listen to all sources equally...............................just depends what mood I am in

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
Good thing about Caiman is that is being constantly tweaked by Mr. Stan so I wouldnt bother changing it.

No experience with tt so would probably look into new speakers if I was you.

Enjoy your hunt!!!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

I reckon you should get out and listen to some speakers. A room that size would do well with some high class stand mounters. Starting touring the dealers and see what they propose.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Really liked the PMC DB1i's when I popped in my dealer, think they would be a tad thin in room though

Just remeasured its 3.4m x 2.8m

Might have a listen to PMC TB2's and FB1i's. Its that or Neats I think for speakers.

Arranging a demo of Naim DAC and Rega DAC (when released), I really want to like the Rega DAC...............could be that + the speakers then.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Unhappy, I think is possibly not the correct way of looking at it. I am extremely happy with what I have now. I have a yearly upgrade budget and wish to maximise my listening gradually.

I really love my R3's they fit so well in my room and I am now very accustomed to their sonic character (or lack of it).

I know the 202/200 combo can support greater sources than what I currently own, and, as I am currently enjoying my vinyl I am strongly inclined to the possible upgrade of my TT.

Here now lies the problem. I dont really want to buy another TT after the next one so it needs to be good enough to stay through a pre amp upgrade (years to come). Hence the P3 is out. This leaves the P5 or P7. P9 is far far too expensive. The P7 comes with the TTPSU but costs approx £1300. The P5 costs approx £700 + £150 for the TTPSU.

Adding approx £450 for the cartridge (which has to be MC, due to my latest addition of a stageline N). This then takes the options to £1750 for the P7 or £1300 for the P5.

If I was to go for the P7, that would be it for the upgrade for the year but I would have a dogs b TT.

If I was to go for the P5, it is a great TT but I would have cash left over for either a rega DAC or a nice new Quadraspire rack.

TBH I think I fancy the P7 route................however with rega introducing the RP1, which, is a "significant improvement" on the P1 and approaching the P2. Would I be better waiting for the RP5 in a year or so and allocating this years funds to improving my speakers..............

dilema..........a nice one admittedly but................................................

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Well if you'd have said you were generally unhappy, I'd have said to change the speakers as this would benefit the whole system. But I had a feeling you'd be happy with them...
emotion-1.gif

My second recommendation would've been the turntable. It's a case of either purchasing an ex demo clearance of the current decks, or as you say, wait for the new ones to emerge. There's more scope to improve a higher end turntable as budget ones are restricted by, well, their budget. I've not tried the RP1 yet, but if they have significantly improved it over the P1, then it might be worth hanging on, especially if you're only going to do this once.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Right, a whole day of soul searching and research and..........subject to a demo between the P5 and P7, I am going to purchase one or the other with the TTPSU, and either the Rega Exact or Ortefon Black. :)

Just got to pay off this years upgrades first LOL

A

Anonymous

Agreed - take a year out from upgrading and spend your budget on music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts