New Turntable set-up from scratch.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I'm sorted with my digital set up as below. I bought the Devialet 200 last year fully with the intention of adding a high-end turntable at a later date (The Devialet 200 has a very good built-in Phono stage).

I want something that I'm going to keep for a long time and something with the most potential for upgrading over that time too. I've looked at Linn LP12's and Roksan Xerxes 20+'s, and am wondering whether to pick one of these up second-hand and upgrade as appropriate. Thing is, I want something for about £2- 2.5k that will work well right now. As turntables are sensitive things, I'm a bit iffy about picking one up from FleaBay.... - Or do I just go for the lowest spec LP12 and upgrade from there?

I've looked at the Rega RP8 too, but really don't like the idea of a foam-filled chassis. - I'm probably wrong, but over time, I think these may have problems and besides, I prefer the classic turntable look.

Has anyone got any favourite arm/cartridge combinations for either of these decks?

Any ideas out there?

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
The Nottingham Analogue ACE Spacedeck Turntable @ £1,480.00 and Nottingham Analogue Interspace Tonearm @ £640.00 leaving you money left over from your higher budget for a pretty good cartridge.

NA may not be to everyone's taste but they're definitely built to last with upgrade options with the heavy platter kit and better arms available if you so wish.

An easy choice for me as I previously had the Spacedeck and am pining for it! At that price I wouldn't dare suggest something I have no experience of.

Inspire, as already suggested is a very good place to start. I'd ask how competent you are at setting up a turntable first i.e. would you be happy to do so or would you rather have a turntable that has been pre-set (a package in other words).?

Fleabay might not be such a bad place if ordering from a well known dealer (with a shop) rather than an individual but doing it this way you obviously end up paying more for the product itself, however don't knock it completely as that is were I got my Origin Live turntable (direct from manufacturers shop - it was a trade-in).

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I just saw this on facebook.

Our award winning ex dem Enigma turntable is for sale complete with a Jelco SA750 LB 12 inch arm.

Housed in the Enigma solid piano black plinth with the desirable nightfire red top plate

An extremely high performing turntable beating turntable up to £20,000

Retail £2995

We are selling this ex dem Enigma for £1695

Demonstrations and part exchange are available, please phone on 01246 268887 or email robert@inspirehifi.co.uk for more details.

nima

Jan 15, 2014
Visit site
Get a nice pre-owned LP12 from an expert Linn retailer. With your budget you should get immaculate, up to 3 years old deck with Hercules power supply or Lingo 1, add new Roksan Nima arm at GBP550 and AT440MLa, if you want MC you can get AT33PTG/II and still not break the budget. And you'll be in musical heaven.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts