New turntable/cartridge recommendations

• Thread starter BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW
  • Start date
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi all

I've got a birthday coming up soon, and have a bit of money left over after buying my new amp, so was looking for recommendations on a serious upgrade on my Pro-ject Debut III.

I've been looking at all sorts of decks, from 2nd hand Thorens, to new Rega RP3s, but I have to admit, my knowledge on the subject is limited.

My budget is £500 - £600, and I'm looking for the best possible sound, new or 2nd hand, I can get for that much money.

I want something relatively easy to set up, use and maintain please, as my tehnical know how isn't the best.

I listen to all sorts of music, from Glenn Campbell to Discharge, so a good all rounder is required really.

Any help would be appreciated.

There is a Rega Rp6 going on ebay at the moment that is already set up with cartridge. This might be a way forward for you.

Other options is to buy a new Shure M97xe cartridge for around £66 and spend the rest on the best Rega deck you can find second hand.

I only mention Rega due to their ease of set-up, requiring less 'tweaking' than some others, as you state you require ease of set-up.

Other deck options may be dearer Pro-jects bought second-hand but I must admit I have never had any experience with this manufacturer.

If you have a rally good birthday you could spend around £1220 on a Clearaudio Concept :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Alears said:
There is a Rega Rp6 going on ebay at the moment that is already set up with cartridge. This might be a way forward for you.

Other options is to buy a new Shure M97xe cartridge for around £66 and spend the rest on the best Rega deck you can find second hand.

I only mention Rega due to their ease of set-up, requiring less 'tweaking' than some others, as you state you require ease of set-up.

Other deck options may be dearer Pro-jects bought second-hand but I must admit I have never had any experience with this manufacturer.

If you have a rally good birthday you could spend around £1220 on a Clearaudio Concept :)

Thanks, but I'm a bit iffy about sellers with no feedback, and I'm miles away from the seller, so I'll probably give that one a miss.

And birthdays have never been THAT good unfortunately.
smile.png

Thanks for the ideas though.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Moorgate Acoustics are still doing a good deal on the RP6 in gloss white and gloss yellow £549 :)

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/used-x-demo-equipment/rega-rp6-turntable-2227373-169901-851936.php

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

What do you think of the older Thorens, like the TD 160? Any other good models to look out for?

I saw a TD 160 Super a month or so ago on Ebay, looked in great nick, and I just missed buying it as I bid fractions too late. Sold for around £180, so was a bit gutted at the time.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The TD160 super is a great secondhand buy if you don't mind fettling, mine was a sod to set-up correctly for whatever reason and sold it because I did not want all that hassle

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65 said:
The TD160 super is a great secondhand buy if you don't mind fettling, mine was a sod to set-up correctly for whatever reason and sold it because I did not want all that hassle

Do you know when they were made, how much they retailed for at the time, and if they'd be a worthy upgrade on my Debut III?

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mitch65 said:

Do you know when they were made, how much they retailed for at the time, and if they'd be a worthy upgrade on my Debut III?

I seem to remember them being an '80s model, retail price unknown. Personally I would not consider one unless you are happy to get it fully serviced and set-up for you. As previously stated they need tweeking.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Moorgate Acoustics are still doing a good deal on the RP6 in gloss white and gloss yellow £549 :)

http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/used-x-demo-equipment/rega-rp6-turntable-2227373-169901-851936.php

I can vouch for one of these - got one a few weeks ago with Exact cart absolutely love it

and ad for the cosmetic imperfections ....... I can't see any

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks for the advice everyone, and I've decided to go for the RP6 at £549, just one more piece of advice needed please.

Would you go for the Elys 2, Exact, or could you recommend a different cartridge. I'm looking for good quality, but value for money is important too.

Stuartyboy79

May 12, 2013
Visit site
BBB,

When I picked up my Rega RP3 last month the Rega dealer suggested I stray away from the Elys cart. I had a listen and it wasnt as bright or detailed as the Goldring 2200 that I ended up sticking on it. I can certainly recommend that cart. cant speak for the Exact though.

Regards

Stu

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thanks for the reply Stuart, I think I'll order the RP6 without a cartridge for now, then make up my mind over the next few days.

The Goldring 1042 is interesting me, as well as the Exact, but I think I've dismissed the Elys 2 as an option now.

Any other options for around the same money?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, and I've decided to go for the RP6 at £549, just one more piece of advice needed please.

Would you go for the Elys 2, Exact, or could you recommend a different cartridge. I'm looking for good quality, but value for money is important too.

Go for a Dynavector 10x5!

I am selling my Exact and getting a 10x5 fitted on Monday - in hindsight I should of done this in the begining!

The Dynavector is a high output MC cart

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Go for a Dynavector 10x5!

I am selling my Exact and getting a 10x5 fitted on Monday - in hindsight I should of done this in the begining!

The Dynavector is a high output MC cart

Excuse my ignorance, but would that be ok to use with my amp?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Yes, the Yamaha. Thanks, will put it on my list of possible cartridges.

RP6 is now bought.
smile.png

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jerry klinger said:
Another vote for the 10x5.

On an RP6?

What can I expect from it as opposed to the Exact - it wasnt that I dont like the Exact, but feel I can get much better!

Taking my TT into Cymbiosis on Monday to get it fitted

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks for the reply Stuart, I think I'll order the RP6 without a cartridge for now, then make up my mind over the next few days.

The Goldring 1042 is interesting me, as well as the Exact, but I think I've dismissed the Elys 2 as an option now.

Mmmmm........Goldring 1042 ;)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Mmmmmm.....Is it?

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mitch65 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Mmmmmm.....Is it?

Mmmm...yes :) , be interesting to hear Steves comments on the Dynavector when he gets it as he has proved it can be a 'suck it and see' dilemma with cartridges.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Bit if a gamble with cartridges, speaking to dealer yesterday for what they make on them its hardly worthwhile demoing them, However he said if you are spending £1k on a TT then it would be feasible!

I cant see the Dynavector dissapointing me to be honest !

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

mitch65 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
mitch65 said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Mmmmmm.....Is it?

Mmmm...yes :) ,it can be a 'suck it and see' dilemma with cartridges.

I'm reasonably indecisive anyway, and this cartridge choosing process is already starting to do my head in.
confused.gif

Someone mentioned a Shure cartridge earlier in this thread, would that be good enough for the short term atleast?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts