New to Vinyl - recommended way to clean/keep clean collection

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I recently picked up my first turntable, a rega planar 2 with elys cart. I'm enjoying it alot and atleast for now I'm content with my setup, uising a el'cheapo phono amp.

My only gripe as of yet is keeping vinyl clean. I'm a proper fuss pot with anything I buy and always try to make things last. Especially those things most valuable to me. Which brings me on to my question of, which is the best method of cleaning vinyl?

I have just bought some anti-static sleeves off of ebay and some polyurethane sleeves to put the covers in.

:)

I would strongly suggest you invest in a carbon-fibre record cleaning brush / pad (from the maker Milty or others) and a soft brush specifically designed to clean your stylus. A quick Google should find both of these at various prices.

blackholesun

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
The best way to keep your vinyl clean is a wet record cleaning machine, the likes of Okki Nokki, VPI or Moth spring to mind.

If you're on a budget, Knosti Disco Anti-Stat does its job pretty well. Remember to wet clean your vinyl first, then put it into new sleeves.

As for the stylus, I have found that a cotton swab soaked in purified water cleans the stylus miles better than Zerodust or a stylus brush. You need a rock steady hand or you may lose your stylus, though ;) I use the swab to touch the stylus from the bottom, _very_ gently.

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
thanks again guys!

Alears, the TL speakers I'm really happy with although very early days. The drivers are now out of the cabinets while I finish them off.

As for positioning, mine are about 12inches from a rear wall with none of the bass controlling issues of my old MA's.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
blackholesun said:
If you're on a budget, Knosti Disco Anti-Stat does its job pretty well. Remember to wet clean your vinyl first, then put it into new sleeves.

As for the stylus, I have found that a cotton swab soaked in purified water cleans the stylus miles better than Zerodust or a stylus brush. You need a rock steady hand or you may lose your stylus, though ;) I use the swab to touch the stylus from the bottom, _very_ gently.

Caution!!!!!! digging on Amazon customer satisfactione for the 'Knosti Disco Anti-Stat'. A white residue is deposited from record on to the stylus after cleaning, apperars this residue is left behind by the cleaning solvent? I certainly dont like the idea on my records.

The alternative might be 'Spin-Clean', twice the price, but no residue reported, better safe than sorry?

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0110/spin_clean_record_cleaner.htm

Cotton bud to clean the stylus???:? Sounds like it is needed if the residue report is right?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
John Duncan said:
No caution required, the anti-stat is a fine cleaner. When the solution runs out, make your own with distilled water, isopropanol and photographic wetting agent (Ilfotol).

. . . so what is the white residue reported on Amazon John?

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJ. The Anti is ok for albums that are not too minging. All the scrunge from a dirty record gets mixed up with the cleaning fluid. The fluid evaporates. Most of the gunk then settles back in the records grooves. Cant beat a vacuum jobbie.

Edit. The knosti fuid is pretty good stuff. I use it in tandem with isoprope . The white residue isnt due to the fluid, its just congealed gunk CJ.

John Duncan

CJSF said:
so what is the white residue reported on Amazon John?

Don't know as I haven't experienced it in 100+ albums.

@floyd droid; agreed, a vacuum cleaner is better, but 10 times the price and, as I say, I've had no problems with the antistat. I've had to have a few goes at some albums and have discarded fluid rather than 'sieve' it as suggested, but if you make your own it's cheap.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
From what I have gleaned over the last 18 months from here and other forums is that many people don't think much of the supplied cleaning fluid with the Knosti and prefer to make their own solution of Isopropyl alcohol and distilled water , usually in the ration of about 1 to 4 parts respectively . This is what I do . I bought 10 litres of alcohol from fleabay for about £30.00 . This is about the only place you can get it these days . I buy the water from my local garage . This should last quite a few records .

For what the Knosti costs , you should be able to get one for less than £40.00 , to my mind it represents excellent value for money . They are not as good as a machine but ,as John says , they cost a great deal less than even a cheap record cleaning machine . If you have a large number of LPs then one of these machines would be a good investment but if you are just starting out , which your initial post implies , then a Knosti would be my recommendation . When you have built up a significate collection of records then it might be the time to buy a machine .

It is probably best if we don't talk about the PVA glue method of cleaning records just yet !

I did not list the Knosti because I assumed the OP probably had new vinyl as he is just starting out. I have never felt the need to wet clean new vinyl as some people profess to do. Once original fluid has been used up you can indeed make your own or for a better result use L'Art du Son cleaning fluid although this is a tad expensive. I tend to use my Knosti purely on any second-hand LP's I purchase. I would not consider putting a cotton-bud anywhere near my stylus..... they are for ears or tape heads as far as I'm concerned!

david230

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I do have a few old vinyls from my dads now redundant record collection, dating back to late 60's to mid/late 70's that I do like to listen to. For the price I will invest in a knosti cleaner.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Knosti is good, but as said, the fluid should be disposed of after use, or filtered, then used for a first clean on particularly dirty records.

I actually put the the record (still attached to the plastic centres) into my drill, and spin the records dry.

Do take care though, if the record was to come out, it'd take your head off
grin.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Knosti is good, but as said, the fluid should be disposed of after use, or filtered, then used for a first clean on particularly dirty records.

I actually put the the record (still attached to the plastic centres) into my drill, and spin the records dry.

Do take care though, if the record was to come out, it'd take your head off
grin.gif

I would love to see the look on my wifes face if i were to mate my drill with my Knosti! :rofl:

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
CJSF said:
John Duncan said:
No caution required, the anti-stat is a fine cleaner. When the solution runs out, make your own with distilled water, isopropanol and photographic wetting agent (Ilfotol).

CJSF

I've done a bit more digging, seems others have overcome this white build up by using their own fluid solution and rotaring the record for longer in the bath, 10-15 seconds in each direction?

The 'home brew' sugested is; two 5m spoons 'Distilled Vinegar' (white vinegar, as in pickling?), three drops of original 'Fairy Liquid', toped up in the trough with Destilled Water.

How dose this sound to you chaps? The idea of a carful spin in the electric drill sounds a good'un . . . 8)

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
I've done a bit more digging, seems others have overcome this white build up by using their own fluid solution and rotaring the record for longer in the bath, 10-15 seconds in each direction?

The 'home brew' sugested is; two 5m spoons 'Distilled Vinegar' (white vinegar, as in pickling?), three drops of original 'Fairy Liquid', toped up in the trough with Destilled Water.

How dose this sound to you chaps? The idea of a carful spin in the electric drill sounds a good'un . . . 8)

CJSF

Dont use Horlicks CJ. If you live in a soft water area i wouldnt bother with poncing around with distilled, just use tap water. No it dosnt have any ill effects on yer vinyl.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Dont use Horlicks CJ. If you live in a soft water area i wouldnt bother with poncing around with distilled, just use tap water. No it dosnt have any ill effects on yer vinyl.

Flyod, the Horlicks stays strictly in my the mug!!! (which we are enjoying much more these days, Hazles back and legs are so much better and improving daily:dance: ). The white vineger/fairy liquid has it place in the cleaning trough . . . unfortunatly South Suffolk has natoriously hard water, so the expense of Destilled will have to be endured . . . a small price to pay for clean records afte +20 years :O

CJSF

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
CJSF said:
John Duncan said:

CJSF

CJSF

To me the time you spend rotating the disc in each direction is less important than the number of rotations . I tend to rotate each disc 10-15 times one way and then the same again the opposite direction and finally a few extra turns in the original direction , just for "fun" , or until I get bored .

The rack holds 15 LPs and that is enough for me to do in one evening . After all ,one call only take so much excitement at one time !

Personally , I'd be wary of using washing up liquid in the mix . But no doubt others have had good results using it ,

Nick

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
CJSF said:
CJSF said:
John Duncan said:

CJSF

CJSF

To me the time you spend rotating the disc in each direction is less important than the number of rotations . I tend to rotate each disc 10-15 times one way and then the same again the opposite direction and finally a few extra turns in the original direction , just for "fun" , or until I get bored .

The rack holds 15 LPs and that is enough for me to do in one evening . After all ,one call only take so much excitement at one time !

Personally , I'd be wary of using washing up liquid in the mix . But no doubt others have had good results using it ,

Nick

Thanks for that Shropshire lad, looks like the Disco Anti-Stat is the one after all on price. Its the 'method' thats important.

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
CJSF said:
Thanks for that Shropshire lad, looks like the Disco Anti-Stat is the one after all on price. Its the 'method' thats important.

CJSF

CJ, it may well be the one on price but trust me on this. Once the novelty has worn off (give it 6 slabs tops) you will look at a pile of records to be cleaned and 'sod it i cant be a***d with that' will be the order of the day. Save yer pennies for a proppa Rcm, a second hand one will do as there isnt a whole lot that can wrong with an Okki Or Moth ,for example.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

CJ, it may well be the one on price but trust me on this. Once the novelty has worn off (give it 6 slabs tops) you will look at a pile of records to be cleaned and 'sod it i cant be a***d with that' will be the order of the day. Save yer pennies for a proppa Rcm, a second hand one will do as there isnt a whole lot that can wrong with an Okki Or Moth ,for example.

While the " can't be a***d " factor certain does come into it ( I haven't cleaned any records for ages ) , for something to get you going the Knosti is worth thinking about . As I said , I only do 15 at one go and leave them overnight to dry off , so it isn't that onerous a task .

Having never looked for a second hand RCM I don't know how often they become available , but I can't imagine that they appear on the market that regularly . If I had the money I would probably go for an Okki , but there are other things higher up the list , such as a head phone amp , so that will have to wait .

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I did all of my LPs and 12s when work was quiet in January 2011, around 800 in total, maybe more.

It is very boring to do, and it was the waiting for them to dry period which pushed me towards the drill spin idea.

I was very nervous everytime I did it, but was extremely careful with tightening it in the chuck, and made sure I did it in the bathroom.

I would have gone outside, but I was worried what the neighbours would think, and of course, it was also very cold
smile.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts