Cleaning ~~ in reply to chebby & al ears

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
You commented on my thread re: cleaning.

Well yesterday, I decided to put all my LP's in the lounge, and in one of the packing boxes I found the invoice, 590 LP's cleaned on a Keith Monks machine, £698.00 + billed seperately, antistatic lined sleeves (covers 33) qty 322 £83.72 and poly sleeves (nagoaka) qty 197 £96.53 which means I paid £878.25 and he included the carrying boxes in the price, that was Sat. 21 Sept 2002, so my memory was well out, in both quantity cleaned and the cost !!

He put the nagoaka ones in the picture sleeves or lyric sleeves to keep them original.

Now as my turntable is performing really well, I've bought a Knosti today, to clean the rest and see what sort of job it does.

The phono stages had a large say in what clicks and pops you hear, I was surprised at this conclusion. You continue learning every day, and now I'm going to experiment with cleaning recipes, but I think I'll use distilled water, alchohol and tetenal antistatic wetting agent, works for 35mm film so should be good with vinyl !!!.

BTW, the stage has had about 45 hours and the cart 75 hours, simply great, really pleased with them and so glad I persevered with auditioning instead of giving up.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
mgkwackerd said:
You commented on my thread re: cleaning.

Well yesterday, I decided to put all my LP's in the lounge, and in one of the packing boxes I found the invoice, 590 LP's cleaned on a Keith Monks machine, £698.00 + billed seperately, antistatic lined sleeves (covers 33) qty 322 £83.72 and poly sleeves (nagoaka) qty 197 £96.53 which means I paid £878.25 and he included the carrying boxes in the price, that was Sat. 21 Sept 2002

He put the nagoaka ones in the picture sleeves or lyric sleeves to keep them original.

Now as my turntable is performing really well, I've bought a Knosti today, to clean the rest and see what sort of job it does.

The phono stages had a large say in what clicks and pops you hear, I was surprised at this conclusion. You continue learning every day, and now I'm going to experiment with cleaning recipes, but I think I'll use distilled water, alchohol and tetenal antistatic wetting agent, works for 35mm film so should be good with vinyl !!!.

I use that same mix and the wetting agent results like a charm!

In my mix I use 70% destilled water, 25% Isopropyl and 5% ( Or less) Ilford wetting agent.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi-Fioutlaw,

That's nice to know, I only bought the Knosti bath and spindle, heard bad comments about the cleaning fluid, I have a rack anyway, so thought I'd do my own thing, and experiment.

Need to get sleeves as well, if the cleaning seems to work !!

That's some bill but again that is some collection. I guess that £600 odd would have bought a few LP's in 2002.

The Knosti is going to save you a fair bit of cash, I only take the odd one or two LPs to be professionally cleaned these days.

The use of Ilford wetting agent in the mix is / was common and used to get mine from local camera shop (long since closed unfortunately).

Glad you persevered.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Al, when I stopped buying them in about 1993 they were £8.99 to £10.99, single LP's, gatefold doubles were about £14.99.

So it is't that many really, about 70-100.

Anyway, this is so time consuming, but I think the endeavour will be worth it, I've put a little yellow dot on the professionally cleaned LP's, and a little red one on the ten I cleaned myself yesterday, only about 370 to go.

I chose a few "grubby" ones and two that visually looked good, the results were mixed, three, a definite improvement, others not noticeable, (that might be as they're nearly worn out after being played so many times) but I'll do them all, but, very laborious though, going to get another bath and spindle today, to do a rinse after cleaning, then when all are done, I'll get my collection up to 1000, so it shadows my CD's a little better (2394 at present with 10 on order) Hi-Fi who'd bother !!

One point though, some Vinyl blows the CD away and vice versa, all seems to depend on the master and prodution quality, as my Sonneteer is some player !! I'm glad I bought the LFD and changed to the 2M Bronze, even though it did cost me £1139. Happy days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts