New to Vinyl - recommended way to clean/keep clean collection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:
Thanks for that Shropshire lad, looks like the Disco Anti-Stat is the one after all on price. Its the 'method' thats important.

CJSF

CJ, it may well be the one on price but trust me on this. Once the novelty has worn off (give it 6 slabs tops) you will look at a pile of records to be cleaned and 'sod it i cant be a***d with that' will be the order of the day. Save yer pennies for a proppa Rcm, a second hand one will do as there isnt a whole lot that can wrong with an Okki Or Moth ,for example.

Hi Floyd, yes you are right, its a faff . . . however whichever way I go, they will have to live in the shed! . . . my 24ftx10ft shed is bigger than my 12x12 listening room!!! So its a session job, I'm a patient sort when it comes to 'fettling up to standard'. Fifteen records at a time, summers coming, retired now, so time is not so important? I could easily knock up a second drying stand. Clean a batch, fiddle in the garden, the warm(?) weather will dry them quick, and a pre spin in the electric drill will help.

I'm a tweaker Floyd, as you well know:wall: . . . I have two old vacuum cleaners, both wet and dry, a DIY design is already kicking around in my head8) . . . £30 investment is enough for me to start with, the fixed income dictates it! I get a lot of pleasure fiddling, so the home made record cleaner will be a project at some time.

I'm not so sure records need cleaning that often???? :? and I only have a small 300'ish collection? . . . at present :twisted:

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
shropshire lad said:
Having never looked for a second hand RCM I don't know how often they become available , but I can't imagine that they appear on the market that regularly .

They do tend to be a bit 'rare as rocking horse' in the 2nd hand dept . Occasionaly one will come up for sale on the above mentioned forum.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJ .A few guys over on the Wam have made their own Rcm. Worth a lurk and trawl for a look see mate.

Had trouble finding anything that made sense on Wam???

However I typed into Google: 'DIY record cleaning' . . . it came up with some really simple solutions on 'You Tube', a couple were so simple, lowest cost, they have to be worth a try. As simple as a piece of felt around a small vacuum head, a paint brush and a 'Lazy Suzan' turn table!

CJSF

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I haven't read all the posts in detail, so I don't know whether this has already been mentioned, but I get on really well the Nagaoka Rolling Cleaner CL 152. I find carbon fibre brushes pretty useless and I've no experience of record cleaning machines.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
floyd droid said:
CJSF said:
Had trouble finding anything that made sense on Wam???

Ha ha , thats normal you get used to it.

OK, after a lot more digging around on the internet, there seem to be a few options for cleaning records.

A wet trough system, tedious but cheap.

A Moth type vacuum cleaning machine, great option but £400+ . . . sticks in my craw!

Or a DIY approach . . .

The consumables are expensive, so at very least, a DIY mix is the way to go. I've sourced 99.9% pure Isopropyl Alcohol at £6.25 per litre delivered, Distilled water is £1 per litre, the cost of a couple of drops of Fairy Liquid or dish washer rinse aid???? . . . I can make my own cleaning solution for around £2.25 per litre, a good start.

I'd probably have gone for a '£30 trough', however, as I have a couple of old W&D vacuum cleaners knocking around in my shed, a Lazy Suzan turntable, a length of plumbing pipe (to be slotted) and some black velvet off-cuts that can all be put to good use . . . A bit of the CJSF recycle, tweaking know-how, after a few hours we will have the patented; 'CJSF vacuum record cleaning MC' :dance:

Chebby was right, I cant stop tweaking . . . :cheer:

CJSF

PS makes me wonder if I shound go to digital streaming . . .:doh:

A

Anonymous

You can make use of a small rag or piece of cloth for this purpose. If you want you can make use of any other product in this regard. According to me, the cleaning process is not at all difficult. You just need to move further step by step. Otherwise you might lose a lot of money. carpet cleaning shrewsbury

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts