Looking for a whole new system and very confused!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
veryconfuzed said:
Thanks CnoEvil - will definitely check the Linn DSM out as it seems very flexible. Does it also act as a network streamer or wopuld I still need a separate device for that? Also, any recommendations on the bluray? Are the KEF speakers you mentioned suitable for the relatively large room. What about something like the ATC SCM 11's that seem to win all the awards?
The Sneaky is a Streamer and Amp...the DSM version has versatile connectivity.

I have the LS50s in a room about 14' x 21' x 11' and they are fine...but I would worry about putting them in a bigger room than that. If they don't have enough scale, there is always the R300s.

I haven't heard the SCM 11s, but from what I've read, they are one of the few speakers that would challenge the LS50s. Being a sealed design, the relatively low powered Sneaky might not get enough volume out of them. The Majik DSM would be fine, but out of budget.

If you don't need to connect your AV kit into the Linn, the ordinary Sneaky DS system I mentioned earlier, would be fine with either speaker.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ID. said:
gasolin said:
RobinKidderminster said:
gasolin said:
I use supra ply 3.4 speaker cable which doesn't sound as thin, bright as the supra classic 2.5,

Are you serious? Suggesting speaker cable before any decision on any other part of a system.

I suggest OP look at suggestions from a few of 'our experts'.

Yes i do

Cool, I didn't realize that this is an ignore the OP's brief and suggest the system we own thread.

That's a decent budget and there's lots of great equipment available within that budget.

Be prepared to take your time and listen to equipment outside the forum darlings and 5 star ratings. There's plenty of great stuff that doesn't get much talk on the forums or reviewed by What Hi Fi. Cno's suggestion is a good example.

The PM6005 is a decent enough budget amp, but with your budget I'd say the PM8005 would be a better bet. Cables can wait until afterwards and you don't really need to worry about them at this stage. I wouldn't get too concerned about SACD as the music available is relatively limited unless you listen to a lot of classical, and the benefits are arguable.
yes the marantz pm8005 is a very good amp but it's taken me 2 weeks to run mine in and now I am happy with it so if you did think on get a marantz pm8005 just think it takes some hours to run in

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
veryconfuzed said:
Wow - thanks all. Some great thoughts there. Lots to think about. The room is about 22' x 18' so any thoughts on speakers with that in mind? Since you ask about my ancient system, it's origins a Trio KD1033b turntable with Ortofon cartridge, Sansui Amp and Mission 710 speakers. Served me well since I was a teenager ;-)
I used to have a KD 1033B (Ortofon FF15E), with a Sony TA F4A and Mission 770s.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Veryconfuzed, bearing in mind your pleasantly large room and your desire to get the best sound quality you can for your money, would you be happy to buy large or very large or huge speakers?

Speakers are a highly personal choice. For your sized room, none of the specific speakers mentioned so far in this thread would get any where near my shortlist for speakers offering the best sound quality for your room. However your tastes may well be very different to mine. Or they may be similar.

For your sized room, for my tastes I'd be looking at either electrostatic / panel speakers (for magical midrange), large to huge sealed box speakers (for magical bass), horn / horn hybrid speakers (for magical dynamics). I wouldn't be looking at small two way speakers.

matthewpiano

You say you've got a Sansui amp. Which model is it?

Depending on which period of Sansui it is, you might find quite a bit of modern 'audiophile' gear sounds distinctly disappointing in comparison. Sansui had, for several years, a knack of producing nicely engineered and very involving amplifiers.

veryconfuzed

Oct 20, 2015
Visit site
It's a Sansui AU-317. It probably is the one part of my system that I would consider re-using, but it doesn't have any digital inputs (was thinking I needed those for the bluray etc) and also, I was assuming that after 35 years, things might have moved on such that I'd be blown away by new equipment in comparison, but maybe not?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts