New to this!

Dean Morris

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi

I have just sold my arcam bdp300 and have been streaming into my arcam rblink - arcam a19 - kef r100 through my iTunes.

so far it's been ok, I have been happy with the sound. However I have a load of cd's that I use in the car and I was wondering what the best way and cheapest way to rip them/store them and use them to stream to my existing setup,

is there a way of getting cd quality, that I can stream using an app that say my wife and I can both have on our phones of my and hers cd collection, where we can both make playlist up?

I know something like bluesound vault offer this but was hoping for more cheaper alternatives?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
By 'burn' them I think you mean 'rip' them. Burning them means creating playable CDs from blank CD-Rs. You could rip your CDs to some kind of NAS or computerised storage and stream from that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I'm probably not the best person to ask because I doubt the solution I use is what you're looking for, but how many CDs do you reckon you will want to rip and what computers and storage do you already have?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Dean Morris said:
400cd's

I have run out of storage now!

LOL! by storage I didn't mean where you do physically store the CDs I meant what do you already possess in terms of computers and hard drive storage. 400 CDs ripped losslessly as FLAC or Apple Lossless will probably consume about 200-240gb.

One option would be to rip all your CDs to a NAS. With that done, you could use an app on your phone to stream the music from the NAS to your HiFi via your phone. On an iDevice, FileBrowser can do this, but it's not amazingly elegant (perhaps there are other similar apps better suited, but it gets us by in the dining room). Another option would be to buy a dedicated streaming device which connects to your HiFi. Some streamers have a built in hard drive, such as a Brennan which also has a CD drive for ripping your CDs. Others do not, and expect to connect to an external hard drive either via a home network or via a cable, from which they stream CDs you have already ripped. Most solutions will operate via an app on your phone.

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
First of all I should say know very little about network players at all. sorry in advance if this is a silly question?

I have ripped my cd's to apple lossless and play them via itunes on my dell computer which is connected to my denon av amp by a HDMI lead.

Would buying a network player and using my music files on an external usb hard drive give me a better quality sound than I am getting currently?

Or is there any other method of improving the sound quality using the system as i have it?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I suggest you look at one of these

https://www.teufelaudio.com/search/o-relevance/portaltyp-308/q-connector.html?lang=en

You get an eight week trial period so no risk. You can rip all your cds to flac on your computer. The raumfeld can be told to see your music there, or on a NAS as suggested. What i find excellent is you can copy your rippd files to a usb stick (400 cds ripped to flac should fit on a 128gb usb stick) and put that into the connector. It then reads the music directly off the usb with quite a user friendly app. Because the unit itself has buit in memory it does not have to figure out the usb drive everytime its turned on, so the tagging etc is almost instant. It works from IOS or Android and has Tune In Radio, spotify, tidal and others built in, with RCA out or digital optical out should you wish to use a better DAC, also a recent update added Chromecast built in.

I bought one of these on a recommendation from a user here, and I can't recommend it highly enough, it sounds excellent

TRENDING THREADS