New System Needed. Help Required

MDGOLF

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi New to the forum so hello everyone. I am in the market for a new CD player, Amplifier and Speakers. I have around £2500 to spend in total. I am into a variety of music from Oasis through to Metallica. So am looking for guidance on brands and even a system recommendation. I am a total novice when it comes to Hi Fi and audio equipment so many thanks in advance for any help given.

CarlDW

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
You could start with What Hi-Fi's recommended mid-range system, which consists of the Audiolab 8200CD, Arcam A19 amplifier and Tannoy DC6T SE speakers.

With that budget you have plenty of options, both passive and active (I'm sure AVI ADM9's will be recommended and are something different to consider).

Your local hi-fi dealer may have a few ideas too.

MDGOLF

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Cheers for that. I will check the system out. I am from Chesterfield which unfortunately is very limited in choice. We only have the one dealer which is Audioscene, I am a student though on a golf studies course in Preston so if anyone knows of any good dealers round there. I have already been to the 2 in Preston city centre however.

MDGOLF

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks again. It is a Christmas and Birthday present combined with myself adding some to it. Would rather pay a bit more and get something better as it will hopefully then last me years. Will have a look at the Rega

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thats a good budget!

Find yourself a local independent dealer who is happy to spend time demoing amps & speakers as they give you the most sonic differences.

DO NOT buy any gear on the strength of WHF reviews - it is very subjective - best to hear stuff yourself, especially speakers which ideally should be at home.

Dont get too obsessed with cables a £50 Interconnect will suffice and a quality 500 strand OFC speaker cable (ebay)

I would probably spend £1000 each on amp & speakers of your choice then £500 on a CDP - Rega Apollo R?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
How about Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield, a short bus ride from Chesterfield when your home at weekends. They do Rega & Naim which is a good starting point.

I dont want to name drop but Naits Naim 5si is new on the market for £925 with some good feedback.

MDGOLF

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Not heard of those. I will have a look at them. I have been to a couple of dealers in Sheffield, 1 being Sevenoaks and Richer Sounds being the other. I will check Moorgate out. Keep the recommendations coming that is what I am after as I do not know where to start really.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
stevebrock said:
How about Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield, a short bus ride from Chesterfield when your home at weekends. They do Rega & Naim which is a good starting point. I dont want to name drop but Naits Naim 5si is new on the market for £925 with some good feedback.

Get out and hear as much as possible at this point, get a handle on what is possible and do not be afraid to rule things out as well as in.

If at all possible just ask the dealers to play a good £2k system, try and see what you can expect for your money.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
personally I would avoid the likes of Richer, SevenOaks and Super Fi - much better to find a reputable independent who you can build a rapport up with!

I have bought both my amps & speakers from Cymbiosis over the last few years, now they are more than happy to lend me kit to take home - speakers, phonos, cables etc.

MDGOLF

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Would rather support the independent shop anyway to be honest. Was not that impressed with Richer sounds, everything just seemed to be thrown in and very little space available for demo purposes.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MDGOLF said:
Would rather support the independent shop anyway to be honest. Was not that impressed with Richer sounds, everything just seemed to be thrown in and very little space available for demo purposes.

good man!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
MDGOLF said:
Does good quality cable make a difference at all or is it just a bit of a myth

IMO all you need is good quality OFC cables - get some 500 strand OFC of ebay thats all you need!

Better still when you go demo get them to switch cables

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts