New Sony NWZA15 purchase - headphone guidance needed

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I decided to treat myself to the above High res player. It will be used on hols and also for listening in another room to my main hi fi. It is intended to use to replace my I pod.

First of all surprised how much better it is than the I pod. I am only the FLAC files that I already have ripped from my CDs. I was not sure the difference would be audible, but it really is. Much more clarity and detail, and these are the two things I like to hear in music.

My only disappointment so far is that I intended to use it with my AKG Q701s as I love the detail these headphones give me. Unfortunately the player just does not drive them loud enough.

I also have a pair of Yamaha PRO 300s, which do go loud enough, but I have never liked these since I bought them. Too much bass drowns the detail for me.

The headphones it works best with are my 20 year old Grado 60s, again probably not quite loud enough for me, but that’s probably not a bad thing to protect my hearing. But they really are dropping to bits.

Also need to replace my in ears as I have a cheap pair of Sennheisers that are also very old.

My question is will it be worth buying a little headphone amp to help drive the AKGs, or maybe buy a new pair of Grados. Scared to but new headphones as cant really audition anywhere, and I never use the Yamahas I paid £130 for just over a year ago.

Any suggestions on the in ears I should be looking at and the headphone amp…..or new headphones?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
If you like your AKG headphones I'd look at an amp to drive them better. Fiio are a popular choice for portable players.

If you want new in ears I can recommend the Beterdynamic DTX range.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
MeanandGreen said:
If you like your AKG headphones I'd look at an amp to drive them better. Fiio are a popular choice for portable players.

If you want new in ears I can recommend the Beterdynamic DTX range.

Yes I love the detail the AKGs give me. Looked at the Filo amps and there are so many i would not know where to start. Its slightly frustrating to have to add an amp, but the low volume of this player with the AKGs means I would have to

Will also check out the Beyerdynamics in ears although these will be used rarely.

Thanks for the post

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I went for a Topping NX1 amp as it was cheap and had good reviews

Any other suggestions for an in ear. Like I say i love the sound of my AKGs as they are very detailed. Are there any in ears that will give that sort of detail and clarity. Budget only around £60 as only get used on holidays and maybe the odd run.

Help apprecaied

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. Trouble is with headphones is you are buying blind and the type of sound we like can be very different to what others think. I decided to order the AKG 323s and what a massive disappointment they are. Posting straight back.

For now I might just hang on to my old Sennheisers for now.

For home listening I bought the above little amp which has improved the volume on my Q701s to no end so solved this problem.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok I am still looking for a pair of in ears to replace my old sennheisers. Only used on hols so budget would be around £100.

I like detail and clarity wh3n listening to music. Any suggestions appreciated

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Will look at the beyerdynamics as suggested but the Klpsch x10 are now on amazon for £100. A big reduction. Any guidance really appreciated

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
The Beyerdynamics are incredible fun but a little bassier than the Klipsch. Both have very good detail. Have listened a lot to both of these, the Beyers as stated are bassier, I thought a little too bassy when I first put them in, but within about 5 minutes I was dancing round the room, literally. 2 hours later, I still was.

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
JoelSim said:
The Beyerdynamics are incredible fun but a little bassier than the Klipsch. Both have very good detail. Have listened a lot to both of these, the Beyers as stated are bassier, I thought a little too bassy when I first put them in, but within about 5 minutes I was dancing round the room, literally. 2 hours later, I still was.

Will decide over next few days. Thanks for the input on this post. Much appreciated

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts