New Rotel CD players - WHF review soon?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed that, in addition to the international '15' series - e.g. the RCD1520 CD player, full size with slot-loader, there is also, for the UK only, a range of 'SE' versions of the '06' series (e.g. RCD06SE). Looks a bit dodgy to me - these 'UK tweaked' versions always sound a bit unbalance to my ears - but a WHF review would be nice. Please.

A

Anonymous

Hi ChrisMM

Just to clarify, the 06 SE range from Rotel is not a 'UK tweaked' product. It is a global launch of a new range of entry-level Rotel products that build on the success of the 06 range, but in new Special Edition models that take Rotel's experience (and some technology) from the development of the flagship 15 Series, and offer it at a new more affordable price point.

They were announced at CEDIA in the US earlier this year.

Many thanks

Shaun

A

Anonymous

I've now had an opportunity to audition the new Rotel CD player and smaller amps - i.e. the RCD06SE, RA05SE, RCD1520 and RA1520. Interesting!

First up, the SE models are identical visually to the 06 models (apart from small graphic in the corner). I liked the sleek look of the 06 so OK. The RA02 has long been a favourite of mine in a second system - amazing little amp for £350 and all the functions you need - including a superb phono section which I use with a Dynavector DV10x5 - if only I'd had an amp like that in the 1980s! The RA05SE is in a similar, detailed and punchy, area, but I can't say there's much difference. The RCD06SE sounded much more open than the non-SE model I would say. I fantastic budget system.... or it would be if they hadn't put the prices up! I can't see the marketing logic here - the SE models were quoted as £495 each, but for £695 you can get the 15- series models....?

Which leads to the 1520s, a far classier proposition all round. They look fantastic - a lot better in the flesh than a some UK products costing 2 or 3 times as much, I'm sorry to say. Again, all the facilities (though further up the scale a full-size headphone socket would have been preferable). The sound is bigger, smoother, silkier and generally extremely listenable. I can imagine some people finding more excitement in a Cyrus or similar combo, but I would bet that for long-term satisfaction these Rotels are a steal. The slot-loader worked really well - giving most of the CD back beyond the hole. And they look superb. Can we have an internet tuner/streamer to match the 15s?

A

Anonymous

On the topic of new reviews, any chance of a review of the dcs scarlatti or the puccini SACD player?

There's also a new Denon SACD player which it would be nice to hear about.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I believe we reviewed the dcs Scarlatti some time ago in Temptations - i'll see if we can dig up the review from the archive!

I'll ask about the Puccini; know we've requested the Denon.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
ChrisMM:Can we have an internet tuner/streamer to match the 15s?

It's called the RDG-1520 (google it) and it will retail for the same price as the RA & RCD 1520...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts