High resolution audio. The science, or lack of...?

Page 37 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Steve, mate, you're on a hiding to nothing here. Those who are still interested in this are all on your home active apeaker forum, so why not stick to that for educational topics? HiFi is about having fun.

Also, does owning a certain brand of speaker mean you automatically become an anorak?
wink.gif

Untrue, and no, no it does not.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Nah, the rest of us live in the real world. Life's to short, mate, and that's the honest truth.

Useful post.

Thanks.

Reminds me of a TV programme I was watching the other day. "Moonshiners". Similar intelligence on display.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
WinterRacer said:
Fr0g, for those that haven't read the 900+ posts, what's your summary of the discussion?

The fairly obvious summary, thanks John btw, is that 24 bits is fairly meaningless for playback. It makes no audible difference.

Same with anything over 44.1 KHz sample rate.

Yes, there is a difference, but one that can only be shown in a waveform that is at least 70 decibels down.

When played back, the difference file is silent (and for the sake of Shadders, yes, silent to me). It also shows as a flat, empty waveform in Audacity and until looked at very closely is exactly that.

The upshot is that the master is king.

More testing has shown that in many cases (not from Linn I must add), that CD versions of SACD are demonstrably highly compressed compared to the SACD layer. They are different masters by a wide margin. Whether this is a conspiracy to sell the alternate format or simply pressure from radio stations or whoever to make the CD as LOUD AS POSSIBLE SCREW THE SOUND QUALITY, I don't know.

What I do know is that people like me, who want good quality and realise that it is achievable in standard 16/44.1 are being ripped off. Whether it is purposefully or not, I don't know, but we are. 16 bit and 44.1 KHz is enough for any human. The so called HD formats are not necessary for the listener. They are a drain on bandwidth and "could" be seen as a dishonest ploy to resell music to people who already own it.

The argument that it is music that has had a "careful, loving touch with regards to the SQ" is nonsense...this is how it almost certainly is before it gets completely ruined by the process that ends up in a CD.

All I want is the Studio master, downsampled, as is, to CD (and lossless downloads)...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts