New Projector System is Up at last - Sony VW500 and Seymour AV UF Screen

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The photos just show you can have tv picture quality I think better for the most part not as good in some parts blacks levels for example but on this pj they are still excellent for a PJ.

I have worked out the cause for the washed out picture in some scenes and fixed it as well

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Definitely your setup is more vfm compared to the panny OLED. The challenge for me is our layout downstairs is all open plan and means we can only have a large sofa facing the chimney breast to which we would have to knock out to accommodate a decent viewing distance. This would be too expensive if you include this work and the cost of a projector and screen.

i wouldn't pay 8k for a tv, I'd go to a max of around 4 to 5k, and then I would only upgrade when 4K content is out on BD and plenty of it..

your picture looks superb and after you've calibrated(when are you doing this) it properly, I bet it will look even better.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
How far away from the chimney breast do you sit? ?

The other factor is darkening down, most people don't want a room like that in their home.

You don't need to do this as much with a tv. You don't have to with a PJ but I think it much better when you do. Can't be too dark if that makes sense

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Around 3 meters. If we faced our bay window, then we would have 6 meters but then the sofa would block the entrance to our open plan front room, dining and kitchen. No hope of darkening as it wouldn't go with the rest of downstairs.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Link to my system, our chimney takes a lot of the room up. Out of date pics with old reciver and no atmos, but same tv and layout

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124478942@N07/14159761502/

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You can make 3 metres work from a veiwing distance, but you have to factor in other things.

PJ Throw distance

PJ Fan noise from it being directly above your head

You will need an acosutic trasnparent screen, these are only in white / grey so they need a dark room

It is grief having a PJ

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have just watched the steelbook of white house down i think it's called channing tatum Jamie fox.

The PQ was nothing short of sensational with CG special effects to rival Jurassic Park in their own right.

This is a demo quality disc and I would never have thought that

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Not trying to blow my own trumpet here but when you see how good blu ray can
Actually look with films like this and mad max.

Admittedly this is getting up scaled to 4k but it makes me wonder - do we honestly need 4k 10 bit hdr or is just another way to get to buy it all over again. There was not a single flaw that i could see in what I just watched on a 100" screen at less than 8 feet away technically with only 1080p 8 bit 4.2.0 content

That's what I keep thinking when watching blu ray on my projector: the quality is already amazing and razor sharp. How much better really will 4K be? I'm in no hurry to upgrade to 4K until 4K projector prices come down to sensible levels.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
BB I am under no illusion I am sure the benefits will be there and probably significant when you actually get to see and compare for yourself - it should be DVD to Blu Ray difference again

I think over the next 18 months it will be interesting - earlier adopters will shout from the rooftops at how awmazing it is - just like atmos early adopters.

What I think is great for the rest is the content quality is getting better and that will mean better ports to standard blu rays which is happy days really.

johnjay

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ultra-HD BD should be a major leap on say a 60" TV...So it only makes sense that next gen UHD-BD (possibly with encoded HDR) will be noticeably better & a big improvement over 1080p on TV as well as a projector ,otherwise whats the point?

For the size picture you are putting out, the pic is incredible & a good camera will enable excellent uploaded pics. Didn't get the YT/sound comparison at all & yes I am aware of how bad sound mostly is on Y.tube. Amazing potential too ellisdj, well done mate.

Blacks comparisons to recent plasmas & OLED are pointless, The PJ is a whole different ballgame, esp. 2.35:1 AR movies/screen, imo. Blacks are great from where i'm looking... :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Posts 60 and 61 from Ellisdj and Bigboss - in one of the AVForums podcasts four months ago, Mr Steve Withers was saying something very similar, about how good a 1080p projected image could still be. He said that even having just reviewed the excellent 4K 75-inch Sony KD-75X9405C television (which would be on my money-no-object list if ONLY it didn't have those very good but non-detachable speakers at the sides, grrr!) he would prefer his own 10-foot screen energised by his projector. Listen to the relevant bit of the podcast here (press the arrow on the left, then click on the solid black timing bar, from 23 minutes 20 seconds elapsed for the next five minutes) https://www.avforums.com/threads/avforums-podcast-22nd-july-2015.1970596/. As it happens you'll see from the podcast index that the first main item discussed the Sony television.

I can still remember how impressed I was with Bigboss's projector and screen combination in March. Eight months on, I've not seen anything to touch it. That said, tonight I was, unusually watching a film in my biggest and best setup (on my Panasonic 65VT65 in the parlour, normally I watch the LG 60PZ950T in the kitchen). The Blu-ray was Fury, starring Brad Pitt, and I was running my 12.1 sound system (with the SVS PC13-Ultra (old-style, 750W amplifier) and I was thinking "This looks and sounds better than at the cinema!" Which in truth really isn't very difficult, the last film that I saw at the cinema, Everest, was slightly but definitely out of focus. And don't get me started on the sound in some cinemas!

But I don't dispute that, content though I was tonight with the picture from Fury on my Panasonic television, your two projector setups are significantly better. And yes, even just on my Panasonic, I was thinking - this is pretty sharp, how much better can 4K be? Perhaps 4K and HDR and all that would be much better again, but as Steve Withers says in the podcast, I'm pretty happy with what I have.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I should have been spending this money on a calibration but I couldnt resist adding some diffusion products to my room to improve the sound.

When I put the PJ in I had to take down one of my GIK 244 Panels as the PJ needed to go there - I put a smaller but thicker monster trap in its place which is better anyway.

So I had a spare panel that has built in scaterring panel built in - so I tested it out on from front wall - it made enough difference to warrant more investigation.

So I am installing 8 GIK Versifusors to give my room a bit more openess and spacious sound - be interesting to see how I get on.

I have 4 painted and installed and they have made a nice difference for music - 4 more coming tomorrow - these are for the ceiling behind / above the listening position. Looking forward to some film testing on Sat with a pal (fellow forumite) coming over

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Series1boy said:
Definitely your setup is more vfm compared to the panny OLED.

And your setup doesn't have any tint or near-black problems, look at post number 395 of this thread! https://www.avforums.com/threads/panasonic-tx-65cz952-cz950-owners-and-discussion-thread.1988908/page-14

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Has the first outside the family viewing today daveVann got to see some clips then watched the whole of Mad Max in 2d

I enjoyed the film second time and understand it much better picking up on a lot on the deeper stuff I didn't the first time.

davidvann

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
i came, i saw it kicked arse ,the p/q was the dogs dangles,when you have seen something like that ,you understand what your missing ,it really draws you into the movies,i loved ellisdj vt/tv but this is a whole new ball game, watched mad max that was one crazy film but really enjoyed it ,after watch that my old kuro looks like 14 inch screen compared to that lol.very very impressive ,thanks for having me over .david

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Dave, it was good having you over mate

I calibrated the Sony last night - I found a sweetspot for 2.4 power gamma where the Grayscale DE were all below 1 except 10ire which was just over 1 - so average DE of 1 - this was with lens brightness higher than I have it at 80.

The resultant picture from this was spectacular - the depth clarity and pop but still 2.4 gamma rich image - was Wow.

However its just too bright for me at this close range, I get eye strain I wish I didnt - so I calibrated again at a lower brightness but am not 100% happy with it, so will be doing it again tonight.

I should have took some pictures and saved the settings of the first cal but never mind.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have calibrated the vw500 again.

This time with more knowledge about how it works and what I wanted to achieve.

The 2.4 gamma setting is actually spot on for BT1886 with a few tweaks so I used that this time.

I have managed an amazing grey scale cal with errors at only 10 ire with the limited controls only 2 point white balance and no gamma controls the calibration is outstanding - testament to good build on the pj.

The resulting picture is now amazing!
Clarity depth pop punch 3d
Perfect!!

Out of the box this PJ is excellent but you cannot underestimate the impact and importance of a calibration

What this does show up is just how bad tv quality is on virgin and in general. I am going to chop it and look for a steaming alternative amazon probably

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
20151123_204249_zpsl0r0cvvw.jpg
This is my calibration result. (I managed to break the screen on my laptop that is what the line and white mess is on the right of the picture)

The DE for greyscale down the left are amazing with the exception of 10 ire.

I did mange to improve the 10ire but it was at the cost of the rest so I have decided to live with that (for now). If you look at the gamma curve which is the yellow line ignoring 0 - 10 the white line which is the readings taken tracks it pretty much bang on.

To get a calibration that tight from my old Panny 65VT65 took lots of specific adjustments with all the extra calibration controls available and there was still always a kink. It took a lot of work to get a cal without a kink on my 65VT Plasma - not so on this PJ. Its not perfect, but considering the limited controls its damn close enough for me
20151123_180619_zpsmeoqygzp.jpg

Thats just an image of the i1 Display 3 meter up near the screen to take the readings etc (The Tv was just on the news - its not demo material just topoint out)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts