New Projector System is Up at last - Sony VW500 and Seymour AV UF Screen

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Well I got my screen today and got it up, it fitted perfectly exactly where I wanted it, which is thanks to a lot of planning and a bit of luck - forgot one major factor that could have been a royal pain.

This is a sample video of the initial test of the screen - I will get more details and pictures up iin time.

Not even had the PJ on yet, getting things all tidied up and finished properly

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Series1boy said:
That's pretty cool daddy :)

Video wasnt intended for this, just to whatsapp to a pal, but thought sod it will post it up for start of a thread, I will do another one later to replace it.

My original goal was - can I incorporate a Projector setup with a size and scale worthy of the cost using a traditional hifi type setup (not on wall cinema style setup which makes it much easier) in my small limited space without moving or changing anything exisiting ???

I like how my system is for music so didnt want to change anything or even move anything

I have done it and it works, will show later

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Looking forward to seeing the projector in action! It might even be almost as good as the dear departed Panasonic 65VT65!

It wont be as good as that in a lot of areas because I cant fully black out the room - if I could there would be very little contest. I am working on the wife to let me black out more but she is resistive at the minute, so I plan to do bits at a time and hope she doesnt notice. Once its up its up :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Couple of photos HDR off - I need to black the room down more simple, the PJ is also in desperate need of a calibration to clean it up.

This is a wider shot from behind my seating position

20151029_183247_zpsqmsphdrl.jpg

These are from my seat - the camera doesnt go wide enough - these are from the film playing not paused

20151029_183314_zps0mpwxlyo.jpg

20151029_183457_zpsqcizlzrx.jpg

20151029_183458_zpsgv2gouhn.jpg

20151029_191658_zpsezbygrms.jpg

20151029_191700_zpsifb5mlm6.jpg

20151029_191720_zps90v8vyw9.jpg

The real thing looks a bit bleached out compared to these photos - I think the phone camera is less effected by the room ambient light thats the only thing I can think but it makes me want to work on it

You have to admit these look photo realistic - amazing projector - I need to unlocks its full potential :)

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
And no bleached whites nor crushed blacks! I'm impressed at the sharpness of the photographs from moving, not paused pictures - clearly a tribute to the both the projector and to your camera!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I got it at a good price, although the overall cost inc screen extra cable, power, black velour, wood etc has been as much as a half decent used family car.

When you look at some content you think I need 4K - then you look at other content like Kong upscaled to 4K and think - I can happily live withh upscaled 1080p. Dont get me wrong I can clearly see where the extra resolution will be a big benefit to me especially sitting so close. 100 inch at less than 8 feet I will see the full benefit

Its the contrast of the image that I need to do my best with - not the brightness, the PJ is very bright its the blacks - thats what gives the image more richness.

Thats never going to be the strong point of a PJ setup - I also had to buy the Seymour UF material which I have found much to my delight - if I turn up the PJ brighness - not actual black level brightness - I mean Iris brightness control I have been able to get from memory the "Pop" to the image that I saw from the Seymour XD material that made me fall in love with a projector in the first place - I am thrilled by that. I can improve on this also a bit I think.

I am at 75% brightness which means nothing, I can go higher for more "Pop" - but If I go higher the material weave is more visible on scenes where its a big areas of lighter - such as sky and cloud etc

Thats a setaing position limitation - but sitting this close makes it feel bigger than it is to a degree and very immersive

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The VW500 is a cracking PJ, worth it even just for its upscaled Bluray picture quality alone. It's one of those that if you're in the market for a cheaper PJ, you really don't want to see it in action! It's pretty hard to come down from once you've experienced it. It'll be interesting to see if the VW520 improves on it or not. I'll regrettably be getting a look at it at our open day next month...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Talk so far is yes it better but not worth upgrading from the 500 for, I think under the hood its very simialr by the sounds of it.

It does have HDR - the 500 doesnt at present, I am hoping for a firmware from Sony to update it to include it but its probably wishful thinking. I knew that was the case but the saving made the purchase possible - full RRP is way too high for me

Good luck with the open day.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers RBK - I have managed to get some more black velour up on the ceiling, she hasnt noticed yet, but sods law I have run out and its expensive stuff to buy more, also have to buy it without her noticing :)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Rocket, I am getting there with it. Its not 100% yet, it needs calibrating desperately and I have been working on darkening things down

Black rug on the floor infront and need to order more black velour - all the darklening work needs to go on before its calibrated as it will affect it.

Its pretty special though still for the most part buts its not demo worthy yet I dont think. I watched the Hobbit 3 at the weekend and really enjoyed the experience - the sound I am very happy with, but still have a few tricks with that to try when I have the budget

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have got my room blackened down around the screen now, I got busted yesterday by the wife in a biker we had - apparently she had noticed, I thought I had been real cloak and dagger getting it all in on and up :) I have also set the brightness and contrast properly now using patterns I know well how to use

Here are a few pics from the progress - its now getting outstanding - more like what I was after when buying this setup.

Its the blacks that are infinitely improved and that adds richness to the image - it now looks Better than the photos of the image - the star wars photos I posted before the photos looked better than real thing

20151109_212351_zpsubsvb9t5.jpg

20151109_211637_zpsyafdra10.jpg

20151109_212426_zpsz8iftf5b.jpg

20151109_211708_zpsnetro4iw.jpg

20151109_211737_zpsv8clcsuq.jpg

20151109_213945_zpsa6rhncwy.jpg

20151109_213929_zpsrikpeovz.jpg

20151109_214151_zpsvsiewbaj.jpg

20151109_214113_zpsv1t3g2pj.jpg

20151109_214213_zpsyuv3lccq.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts